Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, for the past 4 nearly 5 months I've been troubleshooting this issue. I keep having system crashes in games (except Minecraft) where my system just hangs and sound loops and I need to hard reset the pc. I've run Unigine Heaven and Valley for around 10 hours with no crash or errors but an hour or even 10 minutes into games and the system hangs. No BSODs or errors logs.

I've tested and replaced every other component in my pc, Ive replaced PSU, Mobo, all cabling (SATA and power) and memory. As far as I can tell my C Drive ssd (850 Evo) and my games drive sd (850 Pro) are fine.
I've done many OS re-installs and I've tried 9 different driver versions making sure to remove the HD Audio and Geforce Experience aswell.

I've also replaced the PSU rear cable and power board that its connected to, tried other keyboards and mouse incase it was an input problem

I've changed my TDR value to 60 aswell.

At the moment there are no overclocks, CPU and GPU's are at stock and i have even tried under clocking the GPU by 50mhz.

CPU and GPU's are water cooled so there is no possibility of overheating.

I have forgotten many of the fixes I've tried in the past few months, I've just listed what I can remember for now.

Specs are:

CPU: Intel 4790K
MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified (Latest BIOS)
RAM: 16gb kingston 1866mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC x3 (I have tested these in SLI and non SLI)
PSU: EVGA G2 1300 watt
OS Drive: Samsung 850EVO
Games Drive: Samsung 850Pro

Has anyone got any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Did you try DDU to remove the drivers for a clean install? A lot of people say it is not necessary but I have seen it fix mysterious problems related to NVIDIA drivers. Also gaming can cause crashes that benchmarks won't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by essanbee View Post

Did you try DDU to remove the drivers for a clean install? A lot of people say it is not necessary but I have seen it fix mysterious problems related to NVIDIA drivers. Also gaming can cause crashes that benchmarks won't.
yeah ive tried it multiple times, also checked clean install on the driver installer too
 

·
Tank destroyer and a god
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
I have used one additional stress test.

Variant A
a) Get a TV tuner
b) Start an app, let GPU decompress the video, at least 1080p if possible.
c) Start the 3d stress test again.

(high-resolution YT video using flahs and hardware acceleration can do similar job, playing a blue-ray due some reason cannot)
Data transfers are typically up to 250mb/s throught system.

Variant B
a) Get IOPS meter software
b) Start the test (it writes a lot of data on the disk)
c) Start the 3d stress test again.
Data transfers are typically 1000-2500mb/s throught system (crazy raid...).

With my old rig i found that its not CPU, nor GPU what is causing system to crash in games only, but rather the data-streams running from disk drive to CPU, through ram and to GPU Vram.

Exact point of failure however was not identified on my previous system.. i went from Intel Q9550 to Phenom II x6, did similar tests and if it failed I was adjusting things like NB, RAM voltages, latencies and doublechecked PCI-E frequency. Then I was successfull at stabilizing the system.

If it fails only with videop and not with IOPS test, it could be problem with graphic driver or codec.

I used this approach because 3d stress tests dont sent much data throught the system, while modern games can use streaming for sending textures from disk to gpu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offler View Post

I have used one additional stress test.

Variant A
a) Get a TV tuner
b) Start an app, let GPU decompress the video, at least 1080p if possible.
c) Start the 3d stress test again.

(high-resolution YT video using flahs and hardware acceleration can do similar job, playing a blue-ray due some reason cannot)
Data transfers are typically up to 250mb/s throught system.

Variant B
a) Get IOPS meter software
b) Start the test (it writes a lot of data on the disk)
c) Start the 3d stress test again.
Data transfers are typically 1000-2500mb/s throught system (crazy raid...).

With my old rig i found that its not CPU, nor GPU what is causing system to crash in games only, but rather the data-streams running from disk drive to CPU, through ram and to GPU Vram.

Exact point of failure however was not identified on my previous system.. i went from Intel Q9550 to Phenom II x6, did similar tests and if it failed I was adjusting things like NB, RAM voltages, latencies and doublechecked PCI-E frequency. Then I was successfull at stabilizing the system.

If it fails only with videop and not with IOPS test, it could be problem with graphic driver or codec.

I used this approach because 3d stress tests dont sent much data throught the system, while modern games can use streaming for sending textures from disk to gpu.
What IOPS test do you recommend using? I have Crystal Disk Mark already but I think its too short of a test.
 

·
Tank destroyer and a god
Joined
·
2,511 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by merceless View Post

What IOPS test do you recommend using? I have Crystal Disk Mark already but I think its too short of a test.
Took me a while to set up the tests,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offler View Post

http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html

It make take some time until you understand how to set it up correctly. the test usually take a big portion of free disk space, so be prepared for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offler View Post

http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html

It make take some time until you understand how to set it up correctly. the test usually take a big portion of free disk space, so be prepared for that.
Finally setup the tests, only had time to run it for about an hour. Seems ok no crashes, how long would you recommend running them? I'm thinking on my next day off work I'll run them for about 10 hours.
 

·
Tank destroyer and a god
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
Try LinX stress test, or OCCT along with it, but dedicate one CPU just to IOPS meter.

If it will be stable even then I dont know what else can be done.

In case above I would not stress system for longer time than 20 minutes (as OCCT is really a killer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offler View Post

Try LinX stress test, or OCCT along with it, but dedicate one CPU just to IOPS meter.

If it will be stable even then I dont know what else can be done.

In case above I would not stress system for longer time than 20 minutes (as OCCT is really a killer).
K. So I tested OCCT with IOPS Meter and I also ran Kombustor on VRAM burner to max the VRAM at the same time. Been about 20-30 mins no problem so far and since the CPU is water cooled I'm not too worried about running longer tests, temp doesn't go past mid 60s.

I did up my RAM voltages a little bit and decreased it to 1600mhz to figure any issues there, so ill have to do some gaming later on and see if it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just letting you guys know I think I've fixed the problem. I've
Quote:
Originally Posted by merceless View Post

K. So I tested OCCT with IOPS Meter and I also ran Kombustor on VRAM burner to max the VRAM at the same time. Been about 20-30 mins no problem so far and since the CPU is water cooled I'm not too worried about running longer tests, temp doesn't go past mid 60s.

I did up my RAM voltages a little bit and decreased it to 1600mhz to figure any issues there, so ill have to do some gaming later on and see if it helps.
This seems to have fixed my issue. I increased my DIMM voltage to 1.6v. So far no crashes in the last two days with gaming and heavy stress testing. It seemed that the DIMM voltage was dipping by about 0.02v so that may have been the cause, although I have no idea why there wasn't a single BSOD at all.
I'll give it a month and then I'll start to decrease voltage and up the frequency again.
 

·
Tank destroyer and a god
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
In that case try to disable "Memory Remap Feature". (Thats the bios feature which makes all capacity of RAM usable to system).

If disabled you will lose some of your RAM, but peak/read writes done by PCI-E devices will be more intensive since parts of RAM will be dedicated only to them. If memory block fails in this settings its usually too critical for some hardware and system will most likely show latent instability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offler View Post

In that case try to disable "Memory Remap Feature". (Thats the bios feature which makes all capacity of RAM usable to system).

If disabled you will lose some of your RAM, but peak/read writes done by PCI-E devices will be more intensive since parts of RAM will be dedicated only to them. If memory block fails in this settings its usually too critical for some hardware and system will most likely show latent instability.
My BIOS doesn't have that option. But I know it's not a problem with the RAM sticks because I have replaced them and the crashes happened on both sets.
It seems it was just unstable DIMM voltage as I haven't had any issues since I've increased it by .05V. I'll keep testing and wait for any crashes, but if it's fine I'll up the frequency to 1866mhz again, see if anything changes.
Either way I'm happy I can game again
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essanbee View Post

Did you try DDU to remove the drivers for a clean install? A lot of people say it is not necessary but I have seen it fix mysterious problems related to NVIDIA drivers. Also gaming can cause crashes that benchmarks won't.
yeah ive tried it multiple times, also checked clean install on the driver installer too
thiank you , windows update will use the wrong drivers from time to time , as was my issue here , and driver update found the good ones , a year of crashing gone , thank you ddu cleans and blocks windows update , i have my laptop back nd can play games
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top