Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a 7950 @ 1100/1575 for nearly 3 years. Only fans have been changed.
In order to maintain my usual clock, lately I had to bump the voltage from 1213 to 1219 . It even gave me an error at that voltage, but a reduce in clock speeds to 1090 resolved any issues. Is this degradation to be expected/normal or is it simply a sign of a dying card? Always has been kept under 70C.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Voltage increase may be good for only some parts of gpu. Some parts may not love voltage. Are you sure your vrm can do 1219? Maybe it has a minimum step length of 10mV so it needs 1223 to accept next voltage step?

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1997 View Post

I've been using a 7950 @ 1100/1575 for nearly 3 years. Only fans have been changed.
In order to maintain my usual clock, lately I had to bump the voltage from 1213 to 1219 . It even gave me an error at that voltage, but a reduce in clock speeds to 1090 resolved any issues. Is this degradation to be expected/normal or is it simply a sign of a dying card? Always has been kept under 70C.
70C is fine for the core, reason stuff degrades is because of VRMs. if your VRMs got really hot over 3 years then yea. The usual first sign of degradation is added voltage.

But .005mv is pretty much negligible, depending on how old your PSU is and what kind could also be psu capacitor degradation. Honestly i wouldnt worry, like i said .005mv is pretty much nothing.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
I think this degradation is normal, it has happened to me with HD4870, GTX8800, and R9 280X.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

70C is fine for the core, reason stuff degrades is because of VRMs. if your VRMs got really hot over 3 years then yea. The usual first sign of degradation is added voltage.

But .005mv is pretty much negligible, depending on how old your PSU is and what kind could also be psu capacitor degradation. Honestly i wouldnt worry, like i said .005mv is pretty much nothing.
VRM's are kept under 70C as well, very often below 65C even. MSI has very good cooling on them. PSU is I believe two years old , and it's a Seasonic G-650, very reputable model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugrul512bit View Post

Voltage increase may be good for only some parts of gpu. Some parts may not love voltage. Are you sure your vrm can do 1219? Maybe it has a minimum step length of 10mV so it needs 1223 to accept next voltage step?
Yes, 1219 is the next step. After that ,it's 1225. It can do between 6-7mV usually. After Vdroop ,my highest reported voltage is 1.178V in GPU-Z. In the past, i've had a week long runs on 1.25-6V for 1200/1575 and my GPU handles it fine. It loves voltage and OC, I've never needed 1200MHz on the core in all honesty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts