Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are those for, those little resistors, capacitors, or what exactly they are ?

To clean the thermal paste, using a cotton swab, could they break easily ?

Here a pic abaut what im saying

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
23,361 Posts
capacitors work best near the "thing" they're doing the regulating for so I'd imagine they're for the GPU die. big brain guess.

unless you're an ape you really shouldn't have to worry about knocking them off but you don't need to clean them. I just run a toothpick through them and never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
capacitors work best near the "thing" they're doing the regulating for so I'd imagine they're for the GPU die. big brain guess.

unless you're an ape you really shouldn't have to worry about knocking them off but you don't need to clean them. I just run a toothpick through them and never had a problem.
This hell when re thermaling my gpus I don't even touch them resistors... No point in cleaning them

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Use a toothbrush.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
HI,
I use a swab with 94% alcohol and roll it over them not rub and the paste dissolves
Just use another swab to soak up the excess alcohol most will evaporate soon enough with air.

·
Registered
177 Posts
what would be the effect is die was surrounded with thermal pad?
past on the die, pad around covering capacitors. would that make counter effect, transfecting heat from heatsink back to pcb?

·
professional curmudgeon
10,574 Posts
what would be the effect is die was surrounded with thermal pad?
past on the die, pad around covering capacitors. would that make counter effect, transfecting heat from heatsink back to pcb?
i'm rather sure those can take higher temps than the die. then making sure what solution you use doesn't end up making them warmer.

i think those guys can handle themselves - just worry about the die.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Depending on the frequency they could be both a resistor and a capacitor.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Use a toothbrush.
Yeah, and maybe still a soft bristle 1 and be careful, just in-case somethings loose like a tooth. TB works great tho on PCB's, I use soapy hot water on my PCB's and proto-boards, just give it plenty drying time.

As for what they all do, some caps will be to act like a little local battery, others will act more like an eardrum, keeping air outside, but still shaking back and forth and passing energy to the other side that way. Basically they are a place for electrons to hangout in, or avoid for some period of time. Actually they are just like mechanical springs, they store/release energy based, in a spring it's basically based on a distance from some starting point.

Resistors can be used lots of things, like setting a speed limit on cars, or sending people from the 12floor to the 8th floor, or to count something like charging everyone a ticket price for crossing a bridge.....analogies off the top of my head. Basically they are something to slow down electrons as they pass through them. They are like mechanical friction, the higher the speed, the more frictional force opposing the motion.

Then there might be inductors, they are like using a hammer of different sizes for different jobs. To smash rocks a big heavy sledge hammer is better than a little tiny finishing hammer meant for window trims. They are like flywheels on cars. They store/discharge energy based on the change in speed of something, so acceleration. Like inertia, some impulse of force, acts over time, to make an object change speed from standing still to moving.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
23,361 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts