Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 6300 coming and a new mobo to hold it... wondering two things:
1) What kind of single line pci-e card should I go for. Read a lot of the threads here, telling me to go big or go home because the 6*00 series will beat most GPU's, so you don't want to be limited. But I was wondering from what experience, should I look for? MB's? Pipelines? clock rate?

2) like we all (should) know, the 6300 is a 1.86Ghz, but if I run a game that requires a 2.0ghz to run, should I assume that it was still on a single core, and there for, a 1.86ghz Core 2 Duo would be more than sufficient? Or should I overclock my new baby to over 2.0ghz just to make sure I am up to the standard?

Pass on to me your knowledge, and I would be more than appreciated.

Thanx

~specs for new rig~
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Intel DG965WH Motherboard
*Need RAM*
*Need GPU*

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
The 2gig requirements for a game are for a pentium chip.The core 2 will outrun any p4 chip so there is no worries on the cpu speed. I would go for a 79xx series card.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right on, thanks busa... higher the better right? any idea in terms of pixel pipes or mbs for the gpu?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

or a X19** card

Well yes...an X19xx card would be great too. Like you said...the faster the better.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Dude, the 1.8 can play any game on high, I'm running mine at 3.0ghz right now just because I'm testing but I will lower it to 2.4ghz which is equivalent to like a 3.2ghz amd processor. As for the GPU, I would go with a 8800GTS, I can play anything smooth and I'm loving it
(like mcdonalds lol) The fan on this BFG is so quiet, all I can hear is the cpu fan and cd roms.

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
If you can afford it, go 8800 series as its DX10. I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on high end DX9 hardware right now. Sure DX9 cards will live a long life still, but we know DX10 games and Vista is right around the corner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DX10 gonna make that big of a deal... just, 8*** series are EXPENSIVE... like I posted before, if anyone wants to donate $$$ to this broke ass, please, by all means... Looking at different cards. Also, if my mobo has only one 16x pci, and a few 1x is it better for me to go SLI or just a single monster card?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I'm pretty a lower end 8*** series will be out just like the 6200 for example
and the 7300, there might be an 8300, or around their I'm sure.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
That CPU specified will play any game just fine regardless of its slow Clocks. It will mainly due to its newer Architecture and that it does 12 Ops per second ..Great advantage.

For a G-card i would reccomend either the X1950PRO as its a great card for the Price or the 7900GT.

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Yeah, if you're poor, then get a 7900 series card or a X1950 series card. You can get a 7900GS for as low as $140. I got mine for only $165 and it was overclocked really well right out of the box. It hauls arse and will hold me over till DX10 cards are more plentiful and there are actually games that can utilize DX10.

I was just saying, don't go spending $250+ on a video card that will be semi obsolete in 6 months. If you only spend $165 on a card, you don't feel so bad when the DX10 stuff starts coming out.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
rofl thats funny how you said "if youre poor, sorry had to mention it

I'm poor and got me a 8800gts, it will be cheaper in the long run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts