Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago my gpu just starting acting weird. Fan constantly revving up and down. MSI Afterburner showing spikes. Setting the fan to a constant speed doesn't stop the revving up and down. Temps and using it in games seems to be fine though. Anyone have an idea of what might be going on here?
Font Gadget Technology Screenshot Electronic device

·
21 Cans of Ravioli
24,317 Posts
are you using the stock fan curve? just looks like a relatively low load and that's making it hover around whatever temperature the fan is set to turn on/off at. on my card without a custom curve it's 55c IIRC.

just make a custom curve and set a 3-5c hysteresis, that way it won't raise/drop fan speed unless temperature changes at least 3-5c.

I set the minimum RPM on my card to a speed that is inaudible but you can keep zero RPM if you want, doesn't really matter.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you using the stock fan curve? just looks like a relatively low load and that's making it hover around whatever temperature the fan is set to turn on/off at. on my card without a custom curve it's 55c IIRC.

just make a custom curve and set a 3-5c hysteresis, that way it won't raise/drop fan speed unless temperature changes at least 3-5c.

I set the minimum RPM on my card to a speed that is inaudible but you can keep zero RPM if you want, doesn't really matter.

View attachment 2543713
Yeah I'm using the stock curve. Seems to just keep jumping from off to 100% quickly, hence the huge constant spikes. I ran furmark to get 100% usage though and fan worked fine there. Maybe the game I'm playing is causing the problem. I'll give your idea a try.

Light Gadget Output device Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Does the fan % match the tachometer. My 980Ti had a problem where it would just go to 100% and it turned out it was a failsafe of reading 0RPM on a fan. Yours definintely sounds different but I would be curious. I forgot exaclty what mine showed in afterburner but it was really weird showing of the Tach and the %

• Rep+
Reactions: Unaufhaltsam

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the fan % match the tachometer. My 980Ti had a problem where it would just go to 100% and it turned out it was a failsafe of reading 0RPM on a fan. Yours definintely sounds different but I would be curious. I forgot exaclty what mine showed in afterburner but it was really weird showing of the Tach and the %
It was showing weird reading before, notice the impossibly high rpm in the first post. It would appear that somewhere between posting this, messing with a bunch of settings, and a white screen of death the problem seems to be resolved. I don't why it was freaking out but problem is solved for now. Thanks for the help.

·
LTSC for life crew
4,505 Posts
It was showing weird reading before, notice the impossibly high rpm in the first post. It would appear that somewhere between posting this, messing with a bunch of settings, and a white screen of death the problem seems to be resolved. I don't why it was freaking out but problem is solved for now. Thanks for the help.
Could be a loose fan connector at the pcb itself.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Have you updated drivers recently (just before the issue arose)?

I ask because, while I've never seen this exhibited in Windows, the Linux drivers sometimes lose the tachometer and, as b.walker36 points out, the firmware has a failsafe which pushes the fan to 100% if the tachometer readout is lost. Some driver versions are better or worse than others, for some reason.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you updated drivers recently (just before the issue arose)?

I ask because, while I've never seen this exhibited in Windows, the Linux drivers sometimes lose the tachometer and, as b.walker36 points out, the firmware has a failsafe which pushes the fan to 100% if the tachometer readout is lost. Some driver versions are better or worse than others, for some reason.
Yeah they were updated. I rolled back to an older version. Seemed fine there for a few hours and now crash with full screen random colors when playing any game. Pretty sure the gpu is just dying. Shame since it would appear no new ones are in stock. My last attempt will be a fresh windows install. Maybe i'll be lucky and just some setting got messed up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah they were updated. I rolled back to an older version. Seemed fine there for a few hours and now crash with full screen random colors when playing any game. Pretty sure the gpu is just dying. Shame since it would appear no new ones are in stock. My last attempt will be a fresh windows install. Maybe i'll be lucky and just some setting got messed up.
You can get this type of behaviour by updating drivers when Afterburner is open. Usually a restart does the trick.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get this type of behaviour by updating drivers when Afterburner is open. Usually a restart does the trick.
Fresh windows reinstall worked. Between myself and the kids been gaming all day with no problems. Latest NVIDIA drivers still wouldn't properly work (Not recognizing monitor properly). Used the previous version and all good. I'm guessing the drivers got messed up somewhere and the reinstall of course undid whatever was the problem. Either that or malware.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts