1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
That is nice! Especially the part where I don't actually have to do anything to make it happen.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
My projected average jumped from 5 mil to 6.5 mil (2080ti and 1080ti) on the extremeoverclocking stats page. Thats like adding another 1080ti!

The 6900xt is going to have to be even better to win me over now!

·
User of the PC
2,046 Posts
My projected average jumped from 5 mil to 6.5 mil (2080ti and 1080ti) on the extremeoverclocking stats page. Thats like adding another 1080ti!

The 6900xt is going to have to be even better to win me over now!
I doubt AMD's offering will even compete for folding ppd versus Nvidia, I honestly dont think they ever have.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
I knew it wouldn't compete there but now it needs to be even better at gaming for me to not get an Nvidia card. I just got home for lunch and [email protected] shows 4.7mil estimated ppd for my 2080ti (usually around 3.7). I know it varies a lot based on which project it's doing, but I don't recall it ever showing more than 3.9. That's a big jump.

I'll still get the 6900xt if it does good at 4k, I really want to get one of those cheap samsung freesync capable tv's for my racing rig.

·
User of the PC
2,046 Posts
I knew it wouldn't compete there but now it needs to be even better at gaming for me to not get an Nvidia card. I just got home for lunch and [email protected] shows 4.7mil estimated ppd for my 2080ti (usually around 3.7). I know it varies a lot based on which project it's doing, but I don't recall it ever showing more than 3.9. That's a big jump.

I'll still get the 6900xt if it does good at 4k, I really want to get one of those cheap samsung freesync capable tv's for my racing rig.
If stock levels for Nvidia cards is still terrible I will consider an AMD card. I haven't had one since the 5850 which was a decent card honestly. never had issues with it.

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
Even my 1660ti does way better than the 5700xt's in one of the other systems, 1.5 vs 1.2 mil ppd.
A 2080 super at stock clocks runs almost as good as the 2080ti before the update, I kinda like that :D

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Spent the extra to pick up the 3090 because my PC folds at all times when I am not gaming on it, so this is great news!

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spent the extra to pick up the 3090 because my PC folds at all times when I am not gaming on it, so this is great news!
You actually managed to get your hands on a 3090? Awesome to hear, please do let us know how it folds once you have it set up!

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
That's awesome that you were able to get one, I really would like to know how it folds. It doesn't look like it would be much better than the 3080 on paper (like titan vs 2080ti) but maybe it can shine with the use of cuda cores (for folding) and the extra 30 watts.

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts

Yea, the WU's have been great, Most of my recent WU's have been above 5 mill PPD.

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
That's awesome that you were able to get one, I really would like to know how it folds. It doesn't look like it would be much better than the 3080 on paper (like titan vs 2080ti) but maybe it can shine with the use of cuda cores (for folding) and the extra 30 watts.
I don't have a frame of reference, and this is the first WU I was served, but this is what it is looking like currently:

Folding At Home.PNG

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have a frame of reference, and this is the first WU I was served, but this is what it is looking like currently:

View attachment 2460606
WHEW okay 7 million is pretty alright lol. More than I read a 3090 would do, so it seems like these scale pretty well. I'd love to see an average over a few days but you probably want to do more interesting things with your brand new hardware for the next few days.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
I wonder if the ampere cards will improve over time with optimizations. I know they changed things up a bit with the way they work but I haven't read too much into it since they are impossible to find.

Not that 7mil ppd is bad, that's similar to my 2080ti and 1080ti together.

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
@CptAsian , yeah, I tend to leave the PC folding basically at all times when I am not gaming on it, so ~20 hours a day is spent folding. These were the WU's submitted and their point totals for over-night. I don't know that it will end up being a 7mil PPD card all day every day, but it seems like 6.5+ will be pretty standard, and depending on WU's 7+ will likely happen relatively frequently. Beats the 2.5 I would get out of my RTX 2080 Super!

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@CptAsian , yeah, I tend to leave the PC folding basically at all times when I am not gaming on it, so ~20 hours a day is spent folding. These were the WU's submitted and their point totals for over-night. I don't know that it will end up being a 7mil PPD card all day every day, but it seems like 6.5+ will be pretty standard, and depending on WU's 7+ will likely happen relatively frequently. Beats the 2.5 I would get out of my RTX 2080 Super!

View attachment 2460699
Wow that's nice. Clock speeds?

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
@CptAsian Because the card is constantly bumping up against its power limits it is hard to say, the boost clocks swing wildly at load w/ [email protected], going from 2055 down to 1935, and anywhere in between. I would say it probably averages ~1980.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@CptAsian Because the card is constantly bumping up against its power limits it is hard to say, the boost clocks swing wildly at load w/ [email protected], going from 2055 down to 1935, and anywhere in between. I would say it probably averages ~1980.
Got it. Very impressive PPD for the clock speeds then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts