Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a 2560x1440 res 27 inch ips monitor.As 7970 doesn't have physx,I am looking for a cheap nvidia GPU to work as a physx card.It should be able to keep up with 7970 and let me play games with physx on high.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
7,733 Posts
I'm using a GTX260 to power my 2 extra displays and physx and seems to get the job done. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a 260 though. I just happened to have one laying around.

You won't need anything big or expensive though. I'm sure a GTS450 or equivalent will do. Please correct me if this is not the case though!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would a 460 suffice?No need to go for a 650 or a 650ti?I have a seasonic 620w 80+ bronze psu which is powering my rig having an i5 [email protected] and an over clocked 7970,will it be enough for a 460 as well?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Using a GTX650. Works great although I have a 7950 I am running BM:AC at full physx 1080P at 60FPS. If you can pick up a 460 or 550ti for cheap I would recommend those as well. The 650 I have I bought at a super price with a mail in rebate and that is why I purchased it.

edit: Make sure it has at least 192 cuda cores as my GT240 that I replaced had 96 and physx was getting a little more intense than what it could handle. The GTX650 has 384 just for reference.

·
Premium Member
7,733 Posts
650 would be a waste IMO. To expensive and powerful to run an effects engine that is barely used.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I tried doing this with a 480/280 for phsyx and my frame rates dropped to crap everywhere...

Not sure what I did wrong- but I will be trying to use the 280 as a dedicated phsyx card paired with a new Titan later this week. Not sure if it makes sense or not but how great would it be to have two of the largest GPU dies ever made in one rig haha.

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
Physx is VERY game specific. I'd personally wait until a game came out where you really REALLY needed it. From what I've seen, even Borderlands 2 seemed doable from the CPU, ruling out the need for a dedicated physx card.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post

650 would be a waste IMO. To expensive and powerful to run an effects engine that is barely used.
In most cases I would agree but I found mine for under $90. I play quite a few games with physx and believe me it was worth every dime. I am not saying if you can't get a deal like I did go buy one but it def upped my fps while physx is enabled. Now the thing that you have to understand though is not all physx enabled games will work because they are hard coded (apparently) to block differing cardsfrom running physx on a dedicated card. Even say a gtx680 and a Gt240 won't be allow to run one dedicated card for physx. Not sure why but that is what I have found even with nvidia cards in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts