Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is selling me his older Gateway FX6860. But we are having a problem. The GPU drivers keep giving us issues. Pictures following. I am actually typing this on the computer in question.

As you can see the Device Manager is showing the GPU Driver there. With a problem however, more on that in a moment. Current drivers are 310.90, Which is what the Nvidia Console told me I needed. But as you can see its now telling me that there is no display attached to the NVIDIA GPU.

The other issue is the following:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has encountered a problem " This has been an issue since day one. No matter which OS we install we ALWAYS get this error. No matter which drivers we install tthis is always an issue. It will not play ANY games. But the laptop plays movies and does everything else just fine. We have tried Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7(all versions) and now Windows Vista(all version but now on the version that actuall came from the factory with the laptop.) I am about to chuck this thing into the freeway traffic. Can anyone help? I am running "Microsoft Fixit" right now as I post this.[Code 43]"

This has been an issue since day one. No matter which OS we install we ALWAYS get this error. No matter which drivers we install tthis is always an issue. It will not play ANY games. But the laptop plays movies and does everything else just fine. We have tried Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7(all versions) and now Windows Vista(all version but now on the version that actuall came from the factory with the laptop.) I am about to chuck this thing into the freeway traffic. Can anyone help?

I am running "Microsoft Fixit" right now as I post this.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And yes I have Googled the error message.

"Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it. If you continue to have problem, please contact your manufacturer.

1) Update your graphics card driver from NVIDIA.COM web site - DONE

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates - DONE

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card - ITS A LAPTOP SO YEAH

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card - AGAIN A LAPTOP. NOT MUCH I CAN DO HERE

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective - THIS MAY BE THE PROBLEM, IF IT IS THEN THERE IS NO REPLACING THE GPU

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,395 Posts
Consider this, it's a 7 year old laptop by this point. If that doesn't explain the issues you're having, I don't know what will.

The 9800/8800M GT cards were notorious for just up and failing for no reason. The GPU core had crappy solder from what I was told.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have been futzing with it for days now. Its still not working right. I'm just done with it. Told my brother that I am sorry but not going to purchase it from him. He is going to use it for parts for his other 2 Gateway FX Laptops that he has.

The FX line was great. They all had the exact same layout. I could replace this motherboard with one from a 78xx FX and it would fit perfectly. They updated the hardware etc but kept the exact same motherboard and I/O layout to cut back on cost. It was brilliant. Pretty much any of the FX line you can do this with. Its too bad that the GPU is actually part of the motherboard rater than removable. But at least you could upgrade the processor.

Be that as it may, I am now scouring the eBay and Amazon, and Craigslit ads looking for a laptop with a dedicated Graphic card. I do a little light to medium gaming and want to make sure that I have something powerful enough to handle it. I keep finding what looks like agood deal only to research and find that the seller has posted a laptop with a Intel HD Graphics Media Accelerator as a bloody dedicated gpu... morons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts