Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just recently finished my build which includes 2 watercooled 5870's with the ek block. first time i powered the pc on i install catalyst 10.2 and i notice that second gpu temps are being shown as 0 degress celcius
. i installed gpu-z which is showing 2 cards installed and also showing the temperatures. is this just catalyst messing with me or should i REALLY be worried?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Here man, fill out your system specs in UserCP...

Are you using MSI Afterburner by chance?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do bo punk....regarding the msi afterburner, no im not using any software to oc the cards. I havent ocd them at all. I just installed them and after installing catalyst went into the overdrive section to see the temps and this is what i got. Got me all confused

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Don't worry about it at all. You will never use ccc as your temp monitor. My ccc shows 0 for one of my cards.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hhhmmm ok phew lol had me scared for a bit there i thought one o my cards died lol thanks guys

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
if the card died you wont even be able to see ccc lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
The strange thing for me is that the temp, activity, fan speed, clock and mem speed have all shown up just fine for the 2nd card on any previous Catalyst versions, including 10.1 which has been the most stable for me by far. Yet 10.2, the 2nd card appears to shut down. Really noticeable when you force the fan speed up and 15 seconds or so after closing the CCC window, the fan on the 2nd card quits and suddenly there is NO reading from it. Everything drops to zero, where there used to be numbers...higher than zero that is, for you smartasses
Still, one 5870 is plenty powerful.

Edit: I should mention that I haven't tried running any graphics intensive program with xfire to make sure it's not a bizarre power saving feature as mentioned by h2on0. Seems odd to me that I used to have normal idle readings, but 0 now.

Epiphany edit: Yep... I thought it was already pretty power bill friendly, but I guess shutting one card down is even more so.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Yup this is normal, and is new with the 10.2 catalysts.

As mentioned above, actually, the 2nd card is shut off when in 2d mode. GPU-Z (and AB) do not read this correctly though, and tend to show the 'shut off' card running at full 3d clocks all the time. But they're wrong, and the CCC OD screen is right.

Very cool feature, actually, once you understand what's going on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts