Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to watercool my two incomming 7970's, but I dont want to use Full cover blocks so I can use it on other cards in the Future.

1: What is the best GPU Only waterblock?
2: Would I need Ram heatsinks? (see Q: 3)
3: is the stock cooler a 2 part cooler (like the GTX 580 cooler) so that you can take off the Copper block on the GPU and still have a cooling plate (other half of stock cooler) still mounted on the cards over the VRM's. Or is it all one whole piece and I should buy VRM heatsinks aswell?

Can I take off the Copper/Alu GPU block in this pic, and leave the Black PCB cover on the card??

amd-radeon-hd-7970_cooler.jpg

amd-radeon-hd-7970_cooler-removed.jpg

Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
1) You need EK-VGA Supreme HF and EK-VGA Supreme HF HD7970 Cu Adapter

The Cu adapter is crucial for block to make contact with the GPU
thumb.gif

2) You can use any low profile RAM sink, I would recommend Akasa or Zalman.

3) No, the heat catridge is glued with epoxy resin to the aluminum frame. You cannot remove the copper core without destroying the stock cooler.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_tiborrr View Post

1) You need EK-VGA Supreme HF and EK-VGA Supreme HF HD7970 Cu Adapter
The Cu adapter is crucial for block to make contact with the GPU
thumb.gif

2) You can use any low profile RAM sink, I would recommend Akasa or Zalman.
3) No, the heat catridge is glued with epoxy resin to the aluminum frame. You cannot remove the copper core without destroying the stock cooler.
1) called a watercooling shop in Norway to get in some of that gear now
smile.gif
, he didnt know about the adapter, he thought I was talking about a back plate x]

2) The 7970 has 12 ram chips, that Zalman set you linked only has 10 squares, got any other you can link?
2b) What can I use to cool my VRM's? they get up to and above 100'C in intense gaming!

3) awh
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
2) Buy two sets then
smile.gif

3) I would recommend some other type of heatsinks, perhaps something from Arctic Cooling and a fan. Otherwise pick up EK-FC7970, you will not regret it
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
9,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_tiborrr View Post

2) Buy two sets then
smile.gif

3) I would recommend some other type of heatsinks, perhaps something from Arctic Cooling and a fan. Otherwise pick up EK-FC7970, you will not regret it
wink.gif
I would choose the Enzotech Ram/Mos heatsinks myself....full copper greatness!

BTW my bridge edition blocks are excellent! You were right about the bridge still working when rotated 180.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were to buy the bridge edition, I would need heatsinks for the Ram and VRM's.

can I use the same cooling squares on the VRM's as on the Ram, or would I need something else on the VRM's?

And how tall can the ram sinks be to be able to be fitted under the extended arm of the Bridge edition?

·
Premium Member
9,788 Posts
they need to be 0.9mm to go under the bridge block and you will need ramsinks to cover the vrm section and the ram itself
I use Enzotech ramsinks and Enzotech Mosfet sinks for this.
fSedQ.jpg

This is how my 6870's are setup.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post

they need to be 0.9mm to go under the bridge block
sounds like you didn't finish your coffee yet, 9mm or .9cm i'm going to guess is what you meant

pretty neat setup you got there either way

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post

they need to be 0.9mm to go under the bridge block and you will need ramsinks to cover the vrm section and the ram itself
I use Enzotech ramsinks and Enzotech Mosfet sinks for this.
fSedQ.jpg

This is how my 6870's are setup.
Are you sure about that 0.9mm? that sounds like something that would be needed filed down to.

·
Premium Member
9,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlig View Post

Are you sure about that 0.9mm? that sounds like something that would be needed filed down to.
D'oh,i meant 0.9cm
I had to trim some of the spikes down with a set of cutters,enzotech do a lower height version tho

·
Premium Member
9,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebadlemonade View Post

sounds like you didn't finish your coffee yet, 9mm or .9cm i'm going to guess is what you meant
pretty neat setup you got there either way
Er.....
Yeah,i meant 0.9cm....

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does any1 have a link to a comparison of Swiftech MCW82 vs EK Supreme HF? Google search gave me nothing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts