Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

my 4890 underperforms, thus i had to use lower setting on many games, and i have just bought a new screen with a much higher resolution.

since i want to be able to max out any game, what GPU (from ATI or Nvidia) do you recommend?

it has to be able to max out anything at 1920*1080 resolution.

would a ati 5850 be enough?

im not going to buy right away, i just want to know how much should i save up. ill probably get one for christmas or late january.

should i wait for the 6000 series?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
If you're truly wanting to max any game, you're going to have to buy a 5970 or GTX480 and even then you may run up against a few games that can't be maxed with a single card.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
If you're truly wanting to max any game, you're going to have to buy a 5970 or GTX480 and even then you may run up against a few games that can't be maxed with a single card.
really?

if its the only way to go ill do it, ill just take longer to save up.

i can max out some games, dirt 2 for example.

but i cant on others, like NFS: shift.

so i thought that a 5850 or a 5870 would be enough.

anyhow, i do want to be able to max out anything...

should i wait for the 6000 series? will the 5000 drop price by then?

is Nvidia releasing anything at a mid-range period?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarvillio View Post
Try Crossfire or SLI?
i really want to just have a single card...

plus i dont have room for it on my mobo, and my current 4890 underperforms, so i would spend more or less the same money than getting a new, better, card.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darco19
View Post

You're going to have to spend big if you really want to stick to a single card, otherwise the GTX 460 on SLI would easily be an option.

I would recommend getting a 5870 if you're able to snag one for a good price (if you're up for getting one used, then it should do great). Here's a rough outline of the upgrade: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=608&card2=613

i cant do sli because my mobo is too small, and i have a sound card installed. i think i could be able to fit two cards, but there would bo NO space between them. so ventilation would be a very limited.

but i can afford a 5870, i would have to save up for it, but i can do it.

so, would a 5870 make it? could i be able to max out anything? (bad company 2, gta4 and crysis and any other "heavy" game?)

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'd wait for 6 series, when I just had one 5870 I could max everything @1920x1080 except crysis and metro. It ran on par with my old 2 4870's... If you're gonna spend the money go with a GTX 480 now, or wait for the 6870.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakHart
View Post

I'd wait for 6 series, when I just had one 5870 I could max everything @1920x1080 except crysis and metro. It ran on par with my old 2 4870's... If you're gonna spend the money go with a GTX 480 now, or wait for the 6870.

im not going to buy anything right now. the soonest ill buy anything is january.

ill wait for the 6000 series i think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts