Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I have come across some excellent advice on this forum as a lurker, but I am now in such a pickle that I need to make this post. I have a Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Extreme with two faulty VRAM modules. Luckily, the faulty VRAM modules are #9 and #11, so located in the last memory bank of the card. Therefore, I had the bright idea of flashing the card bios to that of a GTX 980, which has only four gigs of VRAM compared to the 980 Ti's six gigs. My reasoning was that this would make the card ignore the two gigs of RAM in the last memory bank (with four VRAM modules) and start to function properly as a GTX 980.

So I downloaded a Zotac GTX 980 Extreme Edition bios from Techpowerup and flashed it onto the 980 Ti. Before doing that, I was careful to delete all Nvidia drivers and uninstall all the 980 Ti display adaptors in Device Manager. Subsequently, I rebooted my PC and updated the drivers. After doing that, I saw that the card was still showing up as a GTX 980 Ti in GPU-Z, albeit with some funky specs. Attached is a screenshot of how the card shows up in GPU-Z. Help!
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Keep that in mind as future reference, no BIOS in the world can change of what you hope to be changed.

·
Madonion.com
286 Posts
Any way to replace the vram modules?
Yeah. Get replacement modules from DigiKey or AliExpress. Desolder the faulty modules using a hot air station at ~380-400C low air flow. Reball the pads and solder the new modules in. Use MATS/MOD to verify which modules are faulty before desoldering. It goes like A0-A1, B0-B1, C0-C1 etc starting from the right bottom side, anti-clockwise.
edit: Hot air station

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,498 Posts
This wont really work.

The 980 and 980 Ti share nothing hardware-wise

Im surprised it even booted up.

Different memory bus size, different L2 cache size, different number of ROPS, TMU's, etc...

Look for yourself

TechPowerUp GTX 980

TechPowerUp GTX 980 Ti

Either send the card in to be fixed by someone like Northbridge (he has a youtube channel), or even Louis Rossman.

Im sure they would take it on pretty reasonably priced.

Unless a user on this forum has equipment and could offer better insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts