Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone!
First things first, I am not sure if this thread belongs to this sub forum, if not I apologize and could it please be moved to the appropriate section, thanks!

I finished building my first PC at the end of MAY and ever since my GPU has been getting higher temperatures than I'd like. I've compared my temperatures with a friend's setup who runs a mini atx build and gets way less temperatures for his GPU (62 ish).

Here is my setup:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($444.00 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($244.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($209.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($137.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card ($706.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($130.99 @ PC-Canada)
Monitor: AOC - AG271QX 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($516.99 @ PC-Canada)

and a picture of my build:
https://imgur.com/a/bdGykoH

The details:
My GPU gets up to 75 degrees when I am running Fortnite on LOW settings. This includes even waiting in the lobby of the game.. so there isn't really anything demanding. My GPU Fan is at 70%ish (at 75 degrees) and it is quite loud and annoying.
I have heard in the past that the S340 case is not the greatest for airflow, however, even with the side glass panel off and the front piece off as well, the temperatures remain at 74-75 degrees.
With other games such as Overwatch or Assassins Creed, my temperatures get to 80-85.

I am aware that 75 degrees isn't too bad, but as i said, my gpu fans are running fast and loud... the room heats up quite significantly, and other setups get much lower temperatures.

Is it possible that my GPU is faulty? Are there any suggestions? Is this card known to have issues (i couldn't find anything online)

Side note: with no load my gpu is at 45 degrees at 25% fan speeds

Any input is welcomed.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The temp you are getting is within specs, that being said, using MSI Afterburner turn up the fan speed to max and see if you get any relief, if not consider liquid cooling or an aftermarket heatsink. I took a 1060 getting 75c with standard fan and put an aftermarket Arctic cooling on it and went down to 47c under full load, it is mining so 24x7 it ranges from 47 to 49c depending on ambient temp in the room. I modified my TitanXp 85c under load and ear-splitting fan noise, put an EVGA hybrid CLC on it and now is at 54c under full load and minimal sound. I have an EVGA 1080ti Hybrid CLC and it never gets above 48c under full load. Hope this helps. http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/18/06/20/fzt.png

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The temp you are getting is within specs, that being said, using MSI Afterburner turn up the fan speed to max and see if you get any relief, if not consider liquid cooling or an aftermarket heatsink. I took a 1060 getting 75c with standard fan and put an aftermarket Arctic cooling on it and went down to 47c under full load, it is mining so 24x7 it ranges from 47 to 49c depending on ambient temp in the room. I modified my TitanXp 85c under load and ear-splitting fan noise, put an EVGA hybrid CLC on it and now is at 54c under full load and minimal sound. I have an EVGA 1080ti Hybrid CLC and it never gets above 48c under full load. Hope this helps. http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/18/06/20/fzt.png
Thanks for the reply.
I have been using MSI Afterburner with a fan curve. Turning up the fan to full gets me a little relief but then its really loud.
With the Arctic cooling... which unit would help me the most? Or i guess is there any GPU cooler you would recommend. I'm comfortable with my GPU being 50-60 degrees.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Does your case do a good job of getting the heat out?

I'd just repaste it if anything. 75c isn't bad anyway, my 1080 SC ran the same way before I repasted it.
As for heating your room, cooling the card more won't change that. Same heat same room.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your case do a good job of getting the heat out?

I'd just repaste it if anything. 75c isn't bad anyway, my 1080 SC ran the same way before I repasted it.
As for heating your room, cooling the card more won't change that. Same heat same room.
Wait a second... was i supposed to add thermal paste to my GPU when i first purchased it? I added thermal paste to my CPU cooler but not my GPU.

People say online that the case does not but even with the side panel off, it doesn't change the temperatures. So i think if it was more cluttered inside with a second gpu etc etc then the poor airflow would be an issue.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
No you weren't but usually the factory paste is crap. I get between 10 and 5c when I repaste new cards.

Is air actually rushing through the front and out the back or top?

If you have poor intake removing the side probably wouldn't do much.
The idea is to get cool air into the GPU and hot air away from it and outside the case. Is that happening?

If your GPU is ramping the fans up to try to cool it's self there likely isn't enough intake to feed the GPU.
Mine usually hangs around 75c overclocked under a full load.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
by chance have you had another GPU OC program or previous settings that may be hanging? I have had tried a few OC's with EVGA and afterburner and still had my factory (MSI gaming app) still installed and I was getting hang up until I removed all of them and made sure all entries were removed before installing the one i wanted to keep.

Seemed that it was a safe bet to be sure anything else was purged. Works fine now.

If you have gaps around Radiators (only if you have) it can cause re-circulation of the air drawing your exhaust back in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No you weren't but usually the factory paste is crap. I get between 10 and 5c when I repaste new cards.

Is air actually rushing through the front and out the back or top?

If you have poor intake removing the side probably wouldn't do much.
The idea is to get cool air into the GPU and hot air away from it and outside the case. Is that happening?

If your GPU is ramping the fans up to try to cool it's self there likely isn't enough intake to feed the GPU.
Mine usually hangs around 75c overclocked under a full load.
I see ok. I'll take a look but I would rather not have to do that.
The air is in taking from the front, and exhausting out the back/top (view my photo in OP).
Yes, i believe so. I have 2 front intake fans, one of which is directly pointed at the gpu. Perhaps my fans are wrong or something? Please refer to the image.
Yeah... mine isn't overclocked at all and as i said even in the Fortnite lobby it rises high.

by chance have you had another GPU OC program or previous settings that may be hanging? I have had tried a few OC's with EVGA and afterburner and still had my factory (MSI gaming app) still installed and I was getting hang up until I removed all of them and made sure all entries were removed before installing the one i wanted to keep.

Seemed that it was a safe bet to be sure anything else was purged. Works fine now.

If you have gaps around Radiators (only if you have) it can cause re-circulation of the air drawing your exhaust back in.
This was a whole fresh PC build. I never had any other GPUs or anything like that. All brand new components.
Like a gap between my GPU and CPU cooler? There is one but i thought that would be better than having it right snug against the CPU cooler. View the image in the OP please!

Thanks guys!

·
Senior Overclocker
4,998 Posts
There is only one single way your friend is getting 62C on his GPU and thats limiting the FPS so the card doesn't stay at a costant 99% usage.
Considering you have a 144Hz screen, your GPU is most likely running 99% usage most of the time which is causing these temps, which are perfectly normal BTW.
Ask your friend what FPS is he running at, is he using Vsync or manually limiting his FPS through Riva from MSI afterburner?

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
You might make sure all three fans are actually spinning

msi af can't control all three fans on an evga 1080ti ftw3 so we have to use evga precision xoc to at the least setup fan curves for the three fans.
Not sure what utility a giga.. card would use

I don't believe they are much different than a Zotac card and they have a tuning utility.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is only one single way your friend is getting 62C on his GPU and thats limiting the FPS so the card doesn't stay at a costant 99% usage.
Considering you have a 144Hz screen, your GPU is most likely running 99% usage most of the time which is causing these temps, which are perfectly normal BTW.
Ask your friend what FPS is he running at, is he using Vsync or manually limiting his FPS through Riva from MSI afterburner?
He isn't limiting his FPS. He's also running a 144Hz screen (mind you his is 24" and mines 27"). I understand the screen size/resolution makes an impact, but hes running in mini atx, everything is so congested in his case and still running lower temperatures. His card is a zotac 1070mini, which yes i know is less.. but i feel with the circumstances of it being in a small case and still achieving cooler temps is baffling to me.
Besides the point, others are getting much lower while OC their cards.

Hi,
You might make sure all three fans are actually spinning

msi af can't control all three fans on an evga 1080ti ftw3 so we have to use evga precision xoc to at the least setup fan curves for the three fans.
Not sure what utility a giga.. card would use

I don't believe they are much different than a Zotac card and they have a tuning utility.
All 3 fans are spinning! I've made sure of that.

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
Even if spinning they would be on auto since msi can't control them all

Memory and power is usually a lot hotter than gpu or core temp

xoc shows all 3 temperatures and each fan I assume is for each temp sensor because that is what it shows for each fan curve core/ mem/ power curves.
Check into Zotac's tuning utility.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
After looking at the picture it seems the GPU isn't getting much air. The thing over the PSU only leaves a tiny gap for GPU intake.

I run my 1080 unlimited in just about everything so it's normally at 99% and my temps are almost 10c lower on the stock fan profile. Get that thing some air and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
Even if spinning they would be on auto since msi can't control them all

Memory and power is usually a lot hotter than gpu or core temp

xoc shows all 3 temperatures and each fan I assume is for each temp sensor because that is what it shows for each fan curve core/ mem/ power curves.
Check into Zotac's tuning utility.
I have looked into it and tried it. Didn't really change anything

After looking at the picture it seems the GPU isn't getting much air. The thing over the PSU only leaves a tiny gap for GPU intake.

I run my 1080 unlimited in just about everything so it's normally at 99% and my temps are almost 10c lower on the stock fan profile. Get that thing some air and see if anything changes.
Would you recommend me moving my GPU up a slot? I left a space between the cpu cooler on purpose as i thought it would be better.
I tried taking the glass panel off and placing a legit fan so it blows right onto it and the temperatures dropped 2 degrees but its still very hot.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Your GPU should be in the top slot so yes, I'd definitely try that.

There doesn't need to be much gap between the CPU cooler and the GPU but you do need as much air as possible going into the GPU and at least some way to exhaust the heat.
I use all positive pressure from the top and front to push air out the back of my case. I removed the PCIE covers so this actually works really well for me, since you have a smaller/different case you may have to experiment.

EDIT: Just looked again at your case.
The only thing I'd change is the GPU slot and I'd take your top fan and use it as an intake in front of your CPU cooler. It doesn't look like it's in an optimal location. My layout is very similar only I don't have an exhaust fan at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your GPU should be in the top slot so yes, I'd definitely try that.

There doesn't need to be much gap between the CPU cooler and the GPU but you do need as much air as possible going into the GPU and at least some way to exhaust the heat.
I use all positive pressure from the top and front to push air out the back of my case. I removed the PCIE covers so this actually works really well for me, since you have a smaller/different case you may have to experiment.

EDIT: Just looked again at your case.
The only thing I'd change is the GPU slot and I'd take your top fan and use it as an intake in front of your CPU cooler. It doesn't look like it's in an optimal location. My layout is very similar only I don't have an exhaust fan at all.
I will be moving my GPU up a slot next week and will give an update then.
When you say to take my top fan and place it in front my cpu cooler, how exactly should i do that? I already have the 2 intake fans at the front of the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts