Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Military grade Garbage
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i recently just built my first computer after the holidays and haven't had any problems at all. I am new to this computer stuff and have much to learn. What i am concerned about is while playing far cry 3 (very high) for 7 hours straight the my gpu (evga 560 ti fpb) has only reached a temperature of 62 the entire time. after i closed out of the game it only took the gpu 10-15mins to cool back down to 32C. where i keep my computer is 68F. i just want to make sure that this isnt bad for the gpu itself because id prefer to have it last as long as possible.
Comp specs:

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
For the GPU and CPU the cooler the better. Well going sub ambient causes condensation but you need a phase change cooling unit for that to be possible.

·
Father, Husband and Gamer
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shadesofray View Post

Okay so i recently just built my first computer after the holidays and haven't had any problems at all. I am new to this computer stuff and have much to learn. What i am concerned about is while playing far cry 3 (very high) for 7 hours straight the my gpu (evga 560 ti fpb) has only reached a temperature of 62 the entire time. after i closed out of the game it only took the gpu 10-15mins to cool back down to 32C. where i keep my computer is 68F. i just want to make sure that this isnt bad for the gpu itself because id prefer to have it last as long as possible.
Comp specs:
no that's normal--at least for my gtx 680.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

For the GPU and CPU the cooler the better. Well going sub ambient causes condensation but you need a phase change cooling unit for that to be possible.
That's not strictly true. Rapid changes in temperature aren't good. Still, in this case it's normal.

Sent from my ever evolving (now nearly as fast as a One X) HTC Super Mega Ultra Sensation ;-3

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frjoethesecond View Post

That's not strictly true. Rapid changes in temperature aren't good. Still, in this case it's normal.

Sent from my ever evolving (now nearly as fast as a One X) HTC Super Mega Ultra Sensation ;-3
Well if things are kept cool then there is no rapid change in the temperature. So yes cooler is better. Flash freezing hardware with LN2 is an extreme scenario. Even with slush bucket cooling you don't get "rapid" changes in temperature unless you run insane voltages and do suicide benchmarking.

When talking plus ambient cooling, lower temperatures mean less heat expansion and that in turn mean less mechanical stress on the chip.

·
Father, Husband and Gamer
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosire View Post

Your stock reference cooler on a GTX680 gets 62 degress under load?
blinksmiley.gif
wat. 9000rpm?
yep
thumb.gif
usually never above 60 at stock--here's one with a little overclock (stock voltage)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts