Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading other people's posts and I didn't feel like hijacking them so I thought I'd start my own thread. I am looking to upgrade my graphics card (system spec in rig). I mostly play BF4 and Elderscrolls Online (when it comes out), and for example my Skyrim is only lightly modded. I want to play everything on as high settings as possible, ultra or as near to ultra as possible. I will be upgrading my monitor as well, but not just yet. In the near future I will either be playing @ 1080p w/ 120hz or one of the koreans... I know that will have an impact on which card I get so let's assume I will end up getting 1080p w/ 120hz for now (ever since I got a TV with 120hz I don't like watching the larger TV that doesn't have it). Price range I've been looking at is $230-330... but I may attempt to squeeze out more if I feel it's necessary. I have been looking at the GTX 760 and R9 280x... but a GTX 770 is also very tempting (hence why I may try to increase my funds). I would like to know is it worth it or necessary for me to spend more money; whether a 760 will be sufficient or put a little more for the 280x... or I need a 770 for what I'm trying to do. Honestly I'm leaning towards the R9 280x, but I have only had nvidia cards since I first started building my personal computers (so about 4 different cards so far... don't laugh). I'm no fanboy but I do like not having any issues with drivers or compatibility from my nvidia cards. Crossfire or sli isn't really an issue, that's what I said the last time I bought a card and I never did it... so I'm just going to assume I'll not end up doing it again.

So for my needs of nearest to ultra as possilbe for BF4 and ESO @ 1080p w/ 120hz, which card would you recommend without wasting money? And thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
280X or 770 for what you are trying to do. a 7970 would also do that if you find one on the interwebs for the price you want. I have one now and play with most ultra settings and some high(mainly the AA etc..)
thumb.gif
Im running a sinlge 1080P montior but its at 60Hz though. geting 60 fps fairly on average with dips into 40's at times depending on map and how heavy the destruction is at that time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Unfortunately you will not be able to max out, get 120hz with that price range. You could come close turning some settings down but 120hz/1440p will still be hard.

For your budget I would get this card though. It is not in stock right now and it is 350 (newegg) and 360 (amazon) but 329 at evga.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2773-KR

They have the one with the regular cooler but I would wait if you can and get the better cooler.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Slahtr

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good to know. I wasn't sure about the 120hz since the reviews for most cards are only about resolution @60hz. well I may try and sell 2 of my sound cards and all-in-one cpu cooler and just for for the 770. The 3gb of ram on the 280x was the main contender since I read bf4 can use that, but if a 770 is significantly better would the 4gb version make a difference? if I'm able to sell some of my old items I could bump my budget to $400 for the gtx 770 4gb.

p.s. this is why I'm not good with money... I can always justify spending more!
tongue.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slahtr View Post

good to know. I wasn't sure about the 120hz since the reviews for most cards are only about resolution @60hz. well I may try and sell 2 of my sound cards and all-in-one cpu cooler and just for for the 770. The 3gb of ram on the 280x was the main contender since I read bf4 can use that, but if a 770 is significantly better would the 4gb version make a difference? if I'm able to sell some of my old items I could bump my budget to $400 for the gtx 770 4gb.

p.s. this is why I'm not good with money... I can always justify spending more!
tongue.gif
don't want to start a war in your thread but just to be clear . . . the 770 is not significantly better than the 280X. We can put it this way . . .

they trade blows.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Slahtr

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very true... I'm very easily swayed apparently. but since I did find that I can get a 770 for as cheap as I've seen I think I'm going to get the GTX 770. sad thing is the lame freebies they give (games I'll never play)... I saw a 280x from XFX with a copy of BF4! don't get me wrong I'm all for a freebie but... eh...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slahtr View Post

very true... I'm very easily swayed apparently. but since I did find that I can get a 770 for as cheap as I've seen I think I'm going to get the GTX 770. sad thing is the lame freebies they give (games I'll never play)... I saw a 280x from XFX with a copy of BF4! don't get me wrong I'm all for a freebie but... eh...
for lightly modded skyrim the 2GB card will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a EVGA Superclocked and ASUS DC2 on amazon for practically the same $336. Between those two which would be recommended?

EVGA

ASUS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slahtr View Post

I found a EVGA Superclocked and ASUS DC2 on amazon for practically the same $336. Between those two which would be recommended?

EVGA

ASUS
go with the evga. i read they have a step up program if you are interested.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top