Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laptop has red(yellow when on the windows logo) dots and lines when booting up and on the desktop unless im in 16bit color mode. If I boot up with the GPU enabled I get white and black horizontal lines after booting then the system crashes.

From googling the problem im thinking its a video memory problem.
Anyone know what else might cause this?

So far ive tried reinstalling the driver and with different version drivers, also tried flashing the vbios. Also plugged in another monitor that had to same problem so its not my LCD.

Next will be a new GPU if it cant be fixed, which im not totally against because the go7900gtx has a known heat problem and I wont be getting the same version GPU.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Unless your GPU is on its own miniPCI card, it's built in and your SOL.

Perhaps you should open the machine and see if the GPU heatsink needs some fresh paste and reseating.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Sounds like a bad mem controller to me.. I have had this issue with 79xx series GPUs before..once the mem controller gets too hot..its permanently bad, creating lots of yellow and sometimes purple spots and weird checkerboard's or lines.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was a miniPCI at first but its not, ill have to send it in to be fixed.

I found this site not long after posting,
If anyone wants to see this is what it looks like to me, the first image http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

apparently I had memory issues for some time, as I would occasionally get the unexpected spike it also talks about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts