Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Run to other - larger room.

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, just looking for peoples opinion on something that my wife planted in my head a month ago. I'm about to pull the trigger to start ordering parts, but basically need reassurance that I'm not crazy and haven't left anything major out.

Here's the scenario:
The office that I work in is in my home. The airflow is horrible and the desk and window placements can't be changed. The PC I work on is on the far end of the room from the window and door. The rig is a custom job with (3) - EVGA GTX 770's in SLI, they are the 4GB for VRAM model (3774?) so upgrading them to water blocks is simply not possible. EK used to make some blocks for them, but has since recalled them because they where warping the cards. The GPU's have almost no space between them (maybe 1/4"), so airflow to them is nearly impossible. I have tried installing the side panel with a fan blowing directly on the GPU's, but interestingly their idle temp's still rose by 5 degrees within 10 minutes of the rig being sealed up... Oh ya, the case is Phantom 820.
The CPU is already cooled via a water loop, so what I'm about to propose is a completely separate loop from that. It would draw from the same power source, but that's about it.
The office I work in, given the setup, is fine in the morning but by afternoon it's easily 10 degrees warmer (and we're in winter right now in Seattle), in the summer is down right unbearable. At night, when I get to go gaming, I literally am sweating in here. Not an exaggeration...

So my idea was to remove the (3) 770 GPU's, and replace them with (2) GTX 980's. These would be water cooled. Now here's where it gets funny.
Since there is still the problem of ambient air temperature rising in the room, and an AC system for the room is out of the question, I need to do something with the excess heat that the cards generate. I was playing with the idea of running the tubing out of the computer, to a quick disconnect valve(s), and either out through a hole in a wall and into another portion of the house - where it can be distributed to a MUCH larger airflow pattern, or straight down the wall and into the basement storage room (much colder than any other area, but still clean).

I've already tabulated a basic idea of what parts I would need and the price they will run me, and I've got the money (just) to pull it off. LOVE to tinker with stuff and be creative like this, but with that said it's still a big undertaking to do.

Can anyone reading this tell me if I'm completely nuts for coming up with this idea, or what they might do differently, or where they suggest I put the radiator that will be at the end of the line?

If I do do this, either way the tubing would be surface mounted to the walls and be transparent. Running it to another, larger room will require about 540 linear inches of tubing. Running it down to the basement would only be about 200 inches... Tops... Trade off is that running it to another room (not the basement) would look frak'n cool when it's lit up with lights.

Thoughts?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
It's just crazy enough to work...

Basement is probably a better idea than outside; fewer bugs to get stuck in the rad, less worry about weather proofing the fans and you don't have to worry about the few sub-zero days that we get on the west coast. The basement will probably be cooler in the summer too. You also have the advantage of being able to run high speed fans without worrying about the noise, which may be an issue in the larger room.

People have run remote rads with good results before. You do need a slightly stronger pump, not to overcome gravity (in a closed loop gravity is negated as the water going up is displaced by the water going down) but to deal with the extra length of tubing. Tube isn't hugely restrictive though, so you don't need to go nuts on the pump.

Filling the loop can be problematic but not impossible, you want to be able to fill it from the highest point in the loop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Let me get this straight... You wife planted the idea for this project in your head?! Lucky man! I say you run it to another room because seeing the tubing would be awesome IMO. Pump below res, but you probably knew that since you have a loop on your CPU already.

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have on hand a Swiftech MCP655-B that's not being used. I was planning on using just that. It's got a flow rate of about 317 gallons/hr. You think that'll be enough or should I throw in a second? I'm getting close to maxing out my budget on this. If I can get away with 1, that would be awesome. That said, starting with one and having it fail because it's too much load is also unacceptable. Then I'd have to get 2 more pumps, one of them just to replace the one I cooked. So I'm good on running 2 pumps, but only if it's a requirement.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHurley747 View Post

Let me get this straight... You wife planted the idea for this project in your head?! Lucky man! I say you run it to another room because seeing the tubing would be awesome IMO. Pump below res, but you probably knew that since you have a loop on your CPU already.
She has perhaps the worst business sense of anyone I've ever met. But since she planted the thought, I'm free on this one.

Deal is, one of my 770's died. Maybe because of heat, maybe because it was just a bad card. A friend suggested that heat may have been a culprit, so I try to better air cool them. When that doesn't work I start researching water cooling for these cards. You know, just for giggles to see what's out there. After a day or 2 of looking I find that there is literally nothing out there. So one night I'm complaining to my wife about how unbelievable it is to me that no one makes a block for these cards, she mentions in an off-the-cuff manner "so you going to replace the cards with something that will work"?

In my world, that's planting the idea.

At first I said "no", way too expensive, but then I start thinking about it, a month later it's all I can think about.

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvb76static View Post

I have on hand a Swiftech MCP655-B that's not being used. I was planning on using just that. It's got a flow rate of about 317 gallons/hr. You think that'll be enough or should I throw in a second? I'm getting close to maxing out my budget on this. If I can get away with 1, that would be awesome. That said, starting with one and having it fail because it's too much load is also unacceptable. Then I'd have to get 2 more pumps, one of them just to replace the one I cooked. So I'm good on running 2 pumps, but only if it's a requirement.

Thoughts?
I think I have read that using 3 or more pumps is generally a bad idea. 2 pumps can work together well, but once you get more than 2 then 1 of the pumps will probably be working to hard to be in sync with the other 2 and kill it off prematurely. Instead of more pumps the solution becomes 1 or 2 stronger ones instead.

You might try running the setup with 1 pump and if you can measure the flow, then see if an additional is needed at all.

I'm liking the basement idea as well, you can make a small hole/holes in the floor that would be easy to repair or hide in the future if needed
tongue.gif
plus it's probably a cooler and controlled ambient down there most or all of the year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think my very first post on here ever was this same question, which I ended up doing for a little while. Long story short yes you can run the tubes to another room, with QDCs. Using three or more pumps isn't a problem, but tbh given the lengths you mentioned, you will probably be fine with the swiftech mcp35x2.

Run it to the basement I say and get the mco35x2, you should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts