·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=3647
GPU was not using the Max Boost Mhz
Quote:
You can run: nvidiaInspector.exe /?
... to see the list of command-line arguments.

To fix my particular problem:
1) I ran: nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:2,2
Note: The first '2' is the GPU index, and in nVidia Inspector's dropdown, my Kepler is last in the list, with a (2), which is why I used 2 here.
2) In nVidia Inspector, on the P2 GPU Clock, I unlocked the Max, and set it to my Max Boost (1241 Mhz). I actually had to set it to 1242 here for it to work correctly.
crosslinked to http://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/guide-nvidia-inspector-gtx670-680-disable-boost-fixed-clock-speed-undervolting

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Ok, this won't apply to most of you but here is some sage advice. When running a project that uses SOME CPU cycles (GPU Grid), but not a fully loaded core alongside a non-overclocked CPU it is best to set your power settings to disallow SpeedStep. Otherwise, the WU wont push hard enough on the CPU to cause it to run at a high frequency and your GPU usage will suffer. Case in point, my 670 had steady-ish but still bouncy GPU usage running GPUGrid, and then I realized the CPU was running at low clockspeeds. Changed the power settings in windows, and now its running much better. I took a screen shot to show the difference:

You can see where in the graph the power settings were applied.

EDIT: This increased my PPD from ~350k -> ~400k.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
I have had some of the long ones take up to 12 hours on my 1080, but that is with me running 2 at a time.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
The licence for the Linux app expired so if you got any they just aborted instantly. Then some rare short tasks came out. Guess what, they aborted too. ;) The only work available has been for GPUs on Windows and CPUs on Linux.

Just today they released the new version that should run on Linux. I haven't had received any though. There was mention of a new app with increased performance.

Edit: And as soon as I said that I received one on my 1070 in Linux. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
So the secret handshake is... "Run it in Windows dummy" :D

I actually read that when I noticed I wasn't getting tasks. Between then and now I completely forgot that was the reason why I wasn't getting any tasks.

*Edit* Thanks for the reminder @mmonnin. :thumb: I just loaded up some Collatz, but I'll be back to GPUGrid if the Linux app is running again.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Tictoc let me know if you want ownership of this thread or if you want me to add anything to OP

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
So the secret handshake is... "Run it in Windows dummy" :D

I actually read that when I noticed I wasn't getting tasks. Between then and now I completely forgot that was the reason why I wasn't getting any tasks.

*Edit* Thanks for the reminder @mmonnin. :thumb: I just loaded up some Collatz, but I'll be back to GPUGrid if the Linux app is running again.
There are tasks for Linux again. Still just sparse work.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Some over at GPUGrid forums have figured out how to use SWAN_SYNC in Linux to get getter GPU util. It also reserves an entire CPU thread though. Similar to OpenCL for NV cards in Linux, it spins up a thread for constant CPU-GPU talk.

-1) If there are tasks running: Enter BOINC Manager - Activity - Suspend. Exit Boinc Manager. This will checkpoint and stop all running tasks
-2) Open a Terminal window, and execute the following commands:
-3) sudo killall boinc
-4) sudo gedit /lib/systemd/system/boinc-client.service
-5) Add the following line immediately below [Service] tag: Environment="SWAN_SYNC=1"
-6) Save the change and close gedit instance. Return to Terminal window
-7) sudo systemctl daemon-reload
-8) sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart
-9) Close Terminal window
-10) Enter BOINC Manager - Activity - Run

https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4813#50824

More info here:
https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4813#50824

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
Good find. :thumb:
Depending on how you are running BOINC, I would dedicate 2 threads to the GPU, since one of them will always be at 100% usage to feed the GPU. This will increase screen lag on GPUGrid, so if you are crunching on your daily driver, I would suggest running GPUGrid without the SWAN_SYNC environment variable.

Quick note on the above commands, depending on your distribution, some of the commands might be a little different. Directly editing the boinc-client.service file will not survive an update of the BOINC package.
The commands below will extend the default service configuration via a configuration file, can be easily reverted, and will also survive an update to the BOINC package. :thumb:

Here's a version that should work with any distro (including Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) that uses systemd (minus the Debian/Ubuntuisms and unnecessary commands :D):

- Suspend all running BOINC tasks
- Open a terminal
- Stop the boinc-client service
Code:
$ sudo systemctl stop boinc-client   # I think most distros now package BOINC as boinc-client, but if your distro doesn't, then substitute "boinc-client" for the name of your distro's service
- Edit the boinc-client service file
Code:
$ sudo systemctl edit boinc-client.service   # This will open the system default terminal editor
- In the editor, add the environment variable and then save
Code:
Environment="SWAN_SYNC=1"
- Reload the boinc-client service to apply the changes
Code:
$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
- Start BOINC
Code:
$ sudo systemctl start boinc-client
- After you have re-started the BOINC client you can resume the GPUGrid task, and you will see increased CPU/GPU usage.
- To remove the variable and restore the boinc-client service to it's original state; suspend any running tasks, stop BOINC, and then from a terminal enter:
Code:
$ sudo systemctl revert boinc-client.service
$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
*Edited* typos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts