Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently i have a 5870m 1gb GDDR5
Laptop is asus G73

It plays games great, but im looking to see if i can upgrade in the near future to something better.

Right now this is a 5750-5770 desktop card

i've seen the 6970m and it uses 50 watts more power, just wondering thanks.

EDIT: Video card is REMOVABLE!!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t-ramp
View Post

I highly doubt you can replace the video card in your laptop...

His actually might be possible, though I wouldnt recommend it. I used to have the Asus G51, and I remember people were taking the GTX 260m from the G51's and installing them into their G50's, replacing the 9800gs that came stock in the G50's.

But not only does that void the hell out of your warranty, its risky. You get a laptop so you dont have to crack it open and tinker with it, I'd rather replace it with a desktop you can actually upgrade, or sell it and buy a newer model with more power. If you really want more power enough to make it worth your time though, you wont really find a whole lot more powerful other than dual gpu laptops and you'll pay a much higher price for those.

All in all I say keep what you have.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by t-ramp
View Post

I highly doubt you can replace the video card in your laptop...

It's removable, I don't see why not

well i was just saying cause i can get the 6970 on the cheap

and i already cracked this laptop open voiding the warranty when i upgraded the processor and ram.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Ah, interesting.

If you think it will work, go for it. However, I found this question and response from a guy who made a video about the laptop:

Quote:

So is it possible to upgrade the GPU if I still use the ATI? for instance the 5870 upgraded to the 6970?

Quote:

no it is unlikely you will be able to do this. the vbios has to be specially coded to work with the g73. even if this was done you still have to have the heatsink be exactly right to fit the new vga which is unlikely

http://www.btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if i can get a heatsink to work, Soldering a new one on won't be an issue,

i wonder where i can find a bios made for it custom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts