Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing today to document my transactions / get advice from the community on this topic.

I saw this advert on Gumtree, listing GTX780's/780Ti's and the like for cheap second hand as the seller had excess stock and wanted to shift them quick.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gtx-760-gtx-770-gtx-780-780ti-closing-down-sales-cheap/1050502544

I was cautious at first, messaging just to enquire about their stock, and was told they had just GTX 780's and GTX 780Ti's remaining, which suited me as I am after a GTX780.
He said the price for a GTX780 shipped was £250, and I was instantly alarmed.

I talked a little more, and we have agreed that PayPal was the choice for fund transferal, as it was more secure than a Bank Transfer.

At this point, I felt a little relieved, as I sort of expected the seller to ask for the funds via Bank Transfer, and I knew that Gumtree itself offers no Buyer Protection for shipped items, as the site itself recommends meeting up in person to exchange money.

He asked that I send the funds to a PayPal account seemingly linked to a Facebook page / small time company called Base PC Wales, but he asked that I send via gift.

I told him I would happily add £10 to the transfer, so that the extra money covered the PayPal fees and he would take away atleast £250 from the transaction.

That is where I am now.

Doing further research into it, shows his eBay account by the name Base PC Wales has positive 77 feedback, his most recent being all Windows 8.1 keys, which is consistent with the mass-ownership of a PC Building company..

Could I have handled this differently, am I being too cautious?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Payment sent, and the seller has said he'll send out a verification letter to my address to make sure that it is legit, before posting the card, just to cover his back..

Never heard of this practice before.. at least I have PayPal's buyer protection on my side

·
Premium Member
15,526 Posts
Also £260 for a gtx 780? Really? Funny how this guy is going to make money back from his failing business by selling stuff cheaper than what he probably paid for it. They retail at £400, so I bet retailers will only make £50 at best from each sale.

Also that facebook page for Base PC Wales...looks so amateurish its comedic. All he;s done is took a picture of his pc room and then made a 10 second microsoft paint picture for his business.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
there has been a recent case of scamming and documented on here on and can see another coming shortly
biggrin.gif

dont do it
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post

there has been a recent case of scamming and documented on here on and can see another coming shortly
biggrin.gif

dont do it
thumb.gif
Well as I said, Buyer Protection is there..
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

Also £260 for a gtx 780? Really? Funny how this guy is going to make money back from his failing business by selling stuff cheaper than what he probably paid for it. They retail at £400, so I bet retailers will only make £50 at best from each sale.

Also that facebook page for Base PC Wales...looks so amateurish its comedic. All he;s done is took a picture of his pc room and then made a 10 second microsoft paint picture for his business.
The Facebook page does look amateurish, but the eBay profile dating back 3/4 years with positive feedback and multiple computer related sales seems legit

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMogg View Post

Me also, but I guess the Buyer Protection is there just incase..
In all likelihood you'd be covered under the buy protection through papal, but trust me it's not going to be some instant walk in the park refund. It will probably be a long drawn our process with emails between you and the seller, you and Paypal, Paypal and him, etc. You may even have to make calls to customer service and it may turn into a whole ordeal.

They way I see it is that it's kind of like those drawn out mail in rebates, where the manufacturers hope that the rebate draws buyers in, then hopes the rebate is too irritating to to follow through with.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Personally I've never find myself going "I think this is a scam, I'll do it and see how it turns out..."

Also why isn't he selling it on eBay if he has a successful eBay account? Tell him to set up a listing on there and you will have even more protection and hassle free returns. You can tell him to list the additional 10%ish price that eBay gets on top of the base price and you'd still get a good deal.

·
Overclock Lord
511 Posts
1st rule of scame: if it is too good to be true it probably is not true.

he sent a verification letter, the moment you accept the letter he can probably claim you already received the gpu... very shady. he got two strikes from me one more odd move and he is out.

you should asked him to send a picture with the 780 and a paper of the date and his screen name.

·
Premium Member
15,526 Posts
Quote:

I also have personal email/
I considered this, but when he offered to take full PayPal I was reassured greatly
Yeah but look what happened with the other "company" that sprung up here on OCN recently...asked for gpus paid with paypal, got sent computer mice

·
Registered
833 Posts
Verification letter sounds like he wants to send something to you so he has tracking to show you received an item in case you dispute. That or he is stalling to reduce the time you have to dispute it.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

Yeah but look what happened with the other "company" that sprung up here on OCN recently...asked for gpus paid with paypal, got sent computer mice
thankyou!
thumb.gif
Exactly what i meant earlier another
thumb.gif

But hey! you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Quote:

I also have personal email/
I considered this, but when he offered to take full PayPal I was reassured greatly
i can make a mickey mouse email address all day long - bristol to swansea = 1 hr 25 mins. Tell him you live nearby and can i pick one up or 2 or 3
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
SCAM! 250 for a 780, i know this makes me should not very nice but you sir have been played.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Quote:

Payment sent, and the seller has said he'll send out a verification letter to my address to make sure that it is legit, before posting the card, just to cover his back..

Never heard of this practice before.. at least I have PayPal's buyer protection on my side
Unlucky, once that letter gets there thats his paypal proof he sent the "item" to you. They won't know if its the item or a letter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts