Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do some games appear to look BETTER on PS3 then on PC at max ultra high settings?

Dead Rising 2 for example.. It's like there is an added layer of detail added to the game. Maybe it's the TV but I can swear it looks a bit more detailed on PS3 then on PC.

Perhaps Capcom designed the game for consoles in mind rather than PC? Or is this just sometimes the case with how console games perform as opposed to PC games?

The framerate is much higher on PC, but what are your thoughts/opinions on the graphics? And have you noticed this with any other games too?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Nope. Hardware wise, PC is yonks ahead of any console.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoTMaXPoWeR View Post
Nope. Hardware wise, PC is yonks ahead of any console.
Yeah, I realize this but some games are just made for consoles consoles first and then ported over to PC later..

It's almost like some developers just care about optimizing the game for consoles.. The quality on PC can be off sometimes, even at max AA the edges on PC look .. different? Even when they release the game for console and PC at the same time I have noticed this. Again, check out Dead Rising 2 on both versions to see what I mean.

I am guessing some developers make more money on console game sales then through PC game sales? Which is why they put a bit more effort into fine tuning console graphics? Or maybe it's the console itself which upscales the graphics? Or maybe it's all in my head??
lol

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
You are sitting farther away typically with a console, so you notice flaws less. That's pretty much it. Also you might be playing on a 1080P TV vs your 1280x1024 monitor.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
Is it just me or do some games appear to look BETTER on PS3 then on PC at max ultra high settings?

Dead Rising 2 for example.. It's like there is an added layer of detail added to the game. Maybe it's the TV but I can swear it looks a bit more detailed on PS3 then on PC.

Perhaps Capcom designed the game for consoles in mind rather than PC? Or is this just sometimes the case with how console games perform as opposed to PC games?

The framerate is much higher on PC, but what are your thoughts/opinions on the graphics? And have you noticed this with any other games too?
Aside from the fact that I don't think you're maxing out the game with your rig, your monitor is also 1280x1024, which would be why it doesn't look as good as the console counterpart probably. The game looks a lot better than the console version maxed out at 1920x1080 for me.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
PC will have better graphics. The reason the PS3 games look as good as they do is that the TV is too fuzzy for you to notice the lack of quality.

·
Pink Freud
2,698 Posts
That's the TV...
Hook your computer to the same TV you are using on a console and then check the difference.

The code is basically the same, but on the PC, doesn't matter if it's a bad optimzed port or not, you have options to make everything look better, or worse.

A PC is much more powerful, so how come it would be uglier than on a console - again, the code is the same.

It's not only about resolution... TVs and monitors, they have specs, and they differ from each other in many ways, for example power consumption, but mostly on image quality, and reliability of the output.

The other difference would be titles. Console has their exclusives, but the PC has as well.

The way I think is... I preffer eye candy, so I get my PC.
I've got a 360 controller (but I have used the dual shock from ps3 just as well), when it's hooked to my pc, and my pc is hooked to a TV it likes jsut like any other console, but much better. This is a fact, not an opnion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, pls post some comparison pics so these consoleboys can see the difference. I have PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. And if I play like CoD4 on PC I can't play it anymore on PS3 cause it's so blurry and ****tylooking compared to PC. Just Cause 2 and F1 2010, same thing with those..

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmeri View Post
Hey, pls post some comparison pics so these consoleboys can see the difference. I have PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. And if I play like CoD4 on PC I can't play it anymore on PS3 cause it's so blurry and ****tylooking compared to PC. Just Cause 2 and F1 2010, same thing with those..
yeah, i did a side by side with JC2 at 1920x1080. the xbox 360 copy of JC2 looked like pea soup compared to the pc.

didnt take any pics because i dont have any way of taking quality screencaps on an failbox.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [nK]Sharp View Post
I don't know how many times I have had to post this link but I will again just cause it is so awesome.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6202552/index.html

Everytime I see how poorly games look on the console it makes me glad I have a computer.
Was looking for this to then post it, and indeed I must agree.

1280x1024 is probably killing it.

·
Banned
4,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterFire View Post
1280x1024 is probably killing it.
It will only get worse with time. One of the many benefits of a PC, I can upgrade.

I wonder if they will make the next console be able to switch out graphics card as they make them, might be interesting if they did that but probably not nearly as cost effective for them.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i play my 360 on my computer monitor, my computer is connected via DVI, and the 360 is connected via VGA (both run at 1920x1080)... ive been playing Reach lately, and it certainly looks loads worse than say... crysis, BC2, or Metro on max settings, but if you think about it, the 360 is 5 years old, and if you look at the specs, im surprised it can run games that look as good as they do. That doesn't make them worse games, it just makes them not as pretty. If i wanted to play pretty games, i can jump on my computer.

I think the PC vs Console argument is stupid, why can't we just enjoy both? I do, and i don't have an angel and a devil on my shoulder arguing over which is "better" because as long as i am having fun i couldn't care less.

·
Banned
4,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooxz View Post
I think the PC vs Console argument is stupid, why can't we just enjoy both?
Because someone always has to make a thread comparing the two which ignites a flame war (sidenote : flamewar looks better on pc).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
PC will have better graphics. The reason the PS3 games look as good as they do is that the TV is too fuzzy for you to notice the lack of quality.

This is true.

A games physics for example can look far more realistic on a 'meh' quality video recording of it. You may think HOLY **** THAT LOOKS AMAZING

upon release and full resolution you see the flaws

1 - 20 of 42 Posts