Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'v been having an issue that often randomly during games or sometimes full screen video (youtube, vlc, ect) my whole screen goes whitish with different shades of gray vertical stripes that flicker. My computer is still responsive but I end up having to reboot in order to get my screen back. the only other thing that has given my screen back is twice when i was watching full screen video, once on youtube and once in VLC player, I lost my screen so i double clicked to exit full screen mode and i was fine again. I'm pretty sure I have narrowed this problem down to the graphic drivers since when i reboot i don't touch anything physically nor to i give time to cool down, but I have tried every version of driver available including the proprietary drivers from the computer's manufacturer. What gives? any suggestions?

Also, I seem to have problems with running MW2. Often when I try to start the game it freezes after about 2 seconds of being on. The computer is still responsive and I can easily shut down the program with the task manager. Sometimes it helps to reboot my computer but it's hit and miss. The game's safe mode reacts the same way, and my computers specs are way higher than the required. Any ideas?

The first problem listed is obviously the bigger deal since it effects all my games and sucks bigtime to have to reboot mid-game...

I'm running an asus laptop with a Q9000 processor, a GTX 260m, and windows 7 x64.

Thx in advance

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Yup this is the exact issue that made me switch to ATI.

When it occurred to me was during screen savers and full screen videos. You can hit Windows+L and hit enter real fast to make it clear up. I never found a solution, some cards do it and some don't apparently. I've had problems with the 8000+ cards but my 7600 in the laptop doesn't suffer from it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it was overheating, wouldn't it need a cooldown times before it would boot properly again? when I get this problem, I just turn off and on my computer with the GPU at the same temp and it's fine again.

Also, there isnt really any particular point in my game or any particular amount of time until i see this. sometimes i can go for 6 hours with no problems and just today I got that problem in a game right after bootup so my GPU would have been freezing cold still...

this is weird....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts