Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i need your help to help me to get a great motherboard socket 1150 with a nice OC support, an eventually SLI, CFX support, and that it, no fancy stuff like Killer network, Gold plated audio connectors with an onboard soundcard with switchables amps...

Price range : 100-200€ max.

Thoughts :

- ASUS Z97-A
- ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI

This mobo will be in a futur project which will probably composed of

- I5 4690K
- GTX 970
- 8GB of Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz CL10
- SSD
- HDD
- Corsair CS750M power supply.

Thanks everybody for your time and your advices !
wink.gif

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
I love the Z97-A for its value and also its aesthetics.

However, and this is OT, you can do a lot better than the Corsair PSU you have selected.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

I love the Z97-A for its value and also its aesthetics.

However, and this is OT, you can do a lot better than the Corsair PSU you have selected.
It's the PSU i currently have in my case so i won't buy another one
wink.gif

Is the Z97-A have a great OC support ?
smile.gif

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
STOP! OMG!

There really aren't motherboards that are just gaming motherboards. What I mean is there's no real feature of a motherboard that improves gaming other than features that come with most quality motherboards. They do have motherboards marketed to gamers, but that's because those motherboards have features that some gamers like, like overclock-ability and what not. If a motherboard has a bunch of features, then it's going to be good for gaming regardless of whether or not it's actually geared towards gaming. That's kind of what I'm trying to say but I'm finding myself unable to clarify.

So when you pick out a motherboard, just look for one that has features you want, not one that it specifically made for gaming. Z-97 has support for overclocking. But there are so many boards within that parameter that some will be more favorable than others.

What is your budget? You can buy a $200 motherboard capable of overclocking or you can buy a $400 motherboard capable of overclocking. And everything in between.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

STOP! OMG!

There really aren't motherboards that are just gaming motherboards. What I mean is there's no real feature of a motherboard that improves gaming other than features that come with most quality motherboards. They do have motherboards marketed to gamers, but that's because those motherboards have features that some gamers like, like overclock-ability and what not. If a motherboard has a bunch of features, then it's going to be good for gaming regardless of whether or not it's actually geared towards gaming. That's kind of what I'm trying to say but I'm finding myself unable to clarify.

So when you pick out a motherboard, just look for one that has features you want, not one that it specifically made for gaming. Z-97 has support for overclocking. But there are so many boards within that parameter that some will be more favorable than others.

What is your budget? You can buy a $200 motherboard capable of overclocking or you can buy a $400 motherboard capable of overclocking. And everything in between.
Did you read the OP ? I clearly said that i don't want a motherboard with fancy stuff like switchables AMPs, or integrated high-end soundcard, Killer network card, etc...

The motherboard should have :

- Great OC capability
- A fair amount of USB ( 5 - 7 ports...)

And that's it !

Eventually the motherboard could have :

- 2 Way SLi or CFX. (16x, 16x)
- A debug LED to easy diagnostics of any issues (if any.)

About my price range : i said 100'ish € is fine.

That's it buddy
wink.gif

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxygeenHD View Post

Did you read the OP ? I clearly said that i don't want a motherboard with fancy stuff like switchables AMPs, or integrated high-end soundcard? Killer network card, etc...

- Great OC capability

And that's it !

- 2 Way SLi or CFX.

That's it buddy
wink.gif
Why are you being hostile?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Each "Z97" should have decent enough support for overclocking, thats what the Z is for, for overclocking support as well as different PCIE lane support. Now if you want to look for motherboards with better overclocking you can look into the Asus's ROG series, MSI's Power series, ASRock's OC Formula.. not too sure on Gigabyte or other brands. But just read up on a particular brand/model for your liking and see how it performs.
Quote:

Did you read the OP ? I clearly said that i don't want a motherboard with fancy stuff like switchables AMPs, or integrated high-end soundcard? Killer network card, etc...

- Great OC capability

And that's it !

- 2 Way SLi or CFX.

That's it buddy
wink.gif
Just read this now, sounds like you want us to do the research and you dont want to do it yourself lol, its not hard to find those.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by UZ7 View Post

Each "Z97" should have decent enough support for overclocking, thats what the Z is for, for overclocking support as well as different PCIE lane support. Now if you want to look for motherboards with better overclocking you can look into the Asus's ROG series, MSI's Power series, ASRock's OC Formula.. not too sure on Gigabyte or other brands. But just read up on a particular brand/model for your liking and see how it performs.
Just read this now, sounds like you want us to do the research and you dont want to do it yourself lol, its not hard to find those.
I don't want us to research for me as i put some suggestion of boards who could interest me at the OP
smile.gif

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

Why are you being hostile?
Wow, if a single question and a " ! " makes me hostile, looks like you don't need so much words to be offensed bro.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

- Great OC capability

And that's it !

- 2 Way SLi or CFX.

That's it buddy
wink.gif
Quote:

I don't want us to research for me as i put some suggestion of boards who could interest me at the OP
smile.gif
Between all those choices I would personally go for the Ranger VII, you'll have tons of option and overclock support as well as it meets your needs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes the Ranger is good for the price
General rule is higher cost = better oc/features
Also, you will find that the motherboards that oc best are ones with at least 8 phase power design/voltage regulator, and hence they become more expensive
Correct me if im wrong on that:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts