Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is the first time for me to ever come across this road block with GRUB. The basic scenario is that I can boot into Windows but I can't boot into Linux. Windows is on a motherboard raid0, and Linux is on a seperate 320gb hard drive. I am able to chroot perfectly fine into the Linux installation through a CD. However, when I select to boot my Linux installation the screen just stays at the code used to boot the OS. For example... it stays at...

Quote:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/sda3

(not the exact kernel version, just an example)
On a working system you only see this code for a split second and then the system starts to boot. Are there any suggestions?

By the way... I am using Gentoo, but I have also tried Fedora and they both create the same results. I have tried just about everything, changed the boot device in the bios, which hard drive/array grub is booted from, and what partition I use for my Linux install. However, I am wondering if I will have to do away with my RAID array (I'm thinking this is the problem). I believe my RAID array is the problem because I did have a working Linux install on this system before without any arrays present...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by thiussat
View Post

Do you have your /boot/grub/grub.conf file set-up properly? Do you have the proper root partition set?

Yes I do have grub.conf setup properly and the automated grub.conf that was made by Fedora didn't work either (I have done Linux installations of Gentoo and many others numerous times). The only reason that I believe would be causing this would be my RAID array. I think I will try to do a fresh installation of Windows in the next day or so.

·
Registered
41 Posts
AFAIK, grub will not install on a raid0 or raid5. It can on a raid1 if done properly though. If you can get /boot on a standalone or raid1, then root fs and everything else can be on whatever.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0nv1ct
View Post

AFAIK, grub will not install on a raid0 or raid5. It can on a raid1 if done properly though. If you can get /boot on a standalone or raid1, then root fs and everything else can be on whatever.

I am well aware of this. I have grub installed on a hard drive outside of the RAID0 array. I'll be sure to report back on this thread when I get around to dismantling the array.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
I have taken to recommending that people with Windows on a motherboard fakeraid who dual-boot Linux, install /boot to a USB stick and boot Linux from the USB stick.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

I have taken to recommending that people with Windows on a motherboard fakeraid who dual-boot Linux, install /boot to a USB stick and boot Linux from the USB stick.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that out after I backup everything that I have on the flash drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts