Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
The Core i7 CPU lineup will be released in three flavors: Core i7-965 Extreme Edition, Core i7-940, and Core i7-920. All of the processors will arrive with four CPU cores, Hyper-Threading, 8MB of L3 cache, and they will be built on Intel's 45nm manufacturing process. All of the processors will run on a 1066MHz front-side bus. The 965 Extreme Edition will run at 3.2GHz, and like other Extreme Edition processors, it will come with an unlocked multiplier that allows for easier overclocking. Intel's Core i7-940 and Core i7-920 will run at 2.93GHz and 2.66GHz, respectively. The new CPU architecture brings with it a new LGA 1366 socket; older LGA775 motherboards that supported the Core 2 CPUs won't be compatible with the Core i7.

Like the other Extreme Edition processors before it, the Core i7-965 will cost $1,000. The Core i7-940 and Core i7-920 will cost $562 and $284, respectively.

The return of Hyper-Threading might be a surprise to some. We haven't seen Hyper-Threading on a CPU since the Pentium 4 days. Intel left the feature out of the original Core architecture but decided to bring it back in the Core i7. Similar to the original technology, Hyper-Threading in i7 gives each core a second executable thread, which gives the operating system the impression that it has a total of eight processing cores.

The biggest features to come with the new CPU architecture and chipset, aside from Hyper-Threading, are the Quick Path Interconnect (QPI) and an integrated memory controller. AMD has had an integrated memory controller for ages, and now Intel has finally gotten around to adopting it. The Core i7 CPUs will come with an on-die three-channel memory controller. The built-in memory controller reduces latency and adds a tremendous amount of memory bandwidth that allows the Core i7 to better feed its cores.
More...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
For some reason I have trouble believe that Core i7 performs better than dual QX9775 chips. Especially at lower clock speeds.

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
Has 8 virtual cores, which might mean a more efficient thread allocation. Although the I7 920 seems to be beating out the i7 965 in some tasks for some reason... and that doesn't make any sense to me...

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Cant wait till they get cheaper.
Wonder how the motherboards sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
Has 8 virtual cores, which might mean a more efficient thread allocation. Although the I7 920 seems to be beating out the i7 965 in some tasks for some reason... and that doesn't make any sense to me...
Which ones?

read carefully

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
I might buy that if other sites hadn't shown a single QX9770 outperforming the Core i7 920 in several of those same benchmarks. More reliable sites too, I might add.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post
For some reason I have trouble believe that Core i7 performs better than dual QX9775 chips. Especially at lower clock speeds.

Ya me either :

If it is true though
!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Firstly, it's a gamespot review and doesn't look anything like reviews from other sites.

Secondly, they used an SSD with the core i7 benchmarks and a standard sata drive with the skulltrail. Not sure how much difference that will make, but it's an unscientific test nonetheless. I wouldn't take much notice of it.

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
I've seen benchmarks from reputable sights showing huge benefits with i7 and multi-gpu set ups though. Very interesting if that hold true for everybody. I saw them on this sight for anybody how want to check, just search "i7" or my screen name.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post

This review is from Anandtech

It looks that Core i7 outperforms Core 2 in modern games like Fallout 3 which can utilize many threads

Furthermore, there are many other reviews that show Core i7 scalling better than Core 2 with multi-GPU solutions

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePath View Post
This review is from Anandtech

It looks that Core i7 outperforms Core 2 in modern games like Fallout 3 which can utilize many threads

Furthermore, there are many other reviews that show Core i7 scalling better than Core 2 with multi-GPU solutions
That's a single QX9770, and even then the numbers are comparatively small - Gamespot is showing DUAL QX9775 processors getting beaten by large margins. Anandtech shows a single Yorkfield getting beaten by 15FPS at most, Gamespot is showing us TWO Yorkfields getting beaten by over 40FPS in certain cases.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayvinAzn
View Post

That's a single QX9770, and even then the numbers are comparatively small - Gamespot is showing DUAL QX9775 processors getting beaten by large margins. Anandtech shows a single Yorkfield getting beaten by 15FPS at most, Gamespot is showing us TWO Yorkfields getting beaten by over 40FPS in certain cases.

wait.
What??

show us!

--EDIT--

wow! skulltrail beat by one i7.
These chips are something else.

They dont run too cool though - but for the performance they give, I suppose most of us will be content with not pushing them TOO far.

Man - I'd just like a Q6600 though *drewl*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts