Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microsoft promotion cuts Gold XBL dues by 10usd

Quote:
Xbox Live is widely regarded as the superior online service for this generation of consoles. However, to take full advantage of its benefits, Microsoft requires that Xbox 360 gamers pony up a $49.99 annual fee for a Gold subscription, whereas Sony and Nintendo let users access all of their online features for free.

Xbox Live is widely regarded as the superior online service for this generation of consoles. However, to take full advantage of its benefits, Microsoft requires that Xbox 360 gamers pony up a $49.99 annual fee for a Gold subscription, whereas Sony and Nintendo let users access all of their online features for free.

This week, however, the publisher sweetened the deal for those not content with their free Silver-level memberships. Silver members who log into the service today will be greeted with an offer to upgrade their accounts to Gold status for 12 months at the cut rate of $39.99, a $10 savings. Once the promotional period ends, Microsoft notes that the membership will automatically renew with the standard annual rate (currently $49.99).

Aside from calling it an "exclusive limited-time offer," Microsoft gave no indication of when the promotion would end. Representatives for the company had not responded to requests for comment as of press time.
Source

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
You can create new XBL accounts for 1 month free Gold as many times as you like. You don't even need to use a real email address, and the entire process of getting a free Gold account takes less than 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

status on an xbox... yeah right.

And what exactly does that mean? Ever heard of gamerscore? Achievements? What about your rating, this all adds up to some sort of status. It doesnt necessarily mean that you command any form of respect, but it shows that you are an experienced player. Now if you want to troll, do it somewhere else, im fed up of threadcrappers on this site.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability
View Post

On topic, I see gold memberships for sale for under $40 all the time. Who are they trying to fool?

Are you referring to directly purchased from microsft via the xbox live service using a credit card? I believe that is what they are trying to say, not via walmart, or any other retailer etc.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Achievements are one thing...even though I'm not exactly a high scorer, I still value my achievements. Also, for accurate skill matching and leaderboards and such, you can't just throw away your online identity every 30 days. Your friends list would go away every month too.

What irritates me about this deal is that it's only for Silver members. Hey, MS...how about letting us Gold members get in on the deal too? Just because you've already sold us the product doesn't mean we should be ignored when it comes to specials. I feel this way about every "new customers only" deal...I don't even see how it can be legal.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon
View Post

Achievements are one thing...even though I'm not exactly a high scorer, I still value my achievements. Also, for accurate skill matching and leaderboards and such, you can't just throw away your online identity every 30 days. Your friends list would go away every month too.

What irritates me about this deal is that it's only for Silver members. Hey, MS...how about letting us Gold members get in on the deal too? Just because you've already sold us the product doesn't mean we should be ignored when it comes to specials. I feel this way about every "new customers only" deal...I don't even see how it can be legal.

It's not just new customers. My XBL Gold subscription expired a couple days ago and I did the $40 thing.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability View Post
Retail stores. This isn't even a sale price. Sale price = $30

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4196284
Yeah well retail = retail right? Some people like the convenience of not having to go get one, and prefer to get it straight from MS.

Whatever the reason, I am sure somebody out there appreciated the sale, and thats the point.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
You can create new XBL accounts for 1 month free Gold as many times as you like. You don't even need to use a real email address, and the entire process of getting a free Gold account takes less than 2 minutes.
you can only do this 3 times per console..

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability View Post
Retail stores. This isn't even a sale price. Sale price = $30

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4196284
$39.82, not $30. Still, I will probably use this option to extend my Gold membership before the auto-renewal at the full $50 rate. Nice find.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
$39.82, not $30. Still, I will probably use this option to extend my Gold membership before the auto-renewal at the full $50 rate. Nice find.
According to FallenFaux the $40 price does apply to online renewals. I would rather pay the extra $1.18 and get it online without having to move and burn gas to get to the walmart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
It's not just new customers. My XBL Gold subscription expired a couple days ago and I did the $40 thing.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

And what exactly does that mean? Ever heard of gamerscore? Achievements? What about your rating, this all adds up to some sort of status. It doesnt necessarily mean that you command any form of respect, but it shows that you are an experienced player. Now if you want to troll, do it somewhere else, im fed up of threadcrappers on this site.

I only look at my gamerscore when I press the middle button and then the A button.

I don't give a crap about it, nor do I care about achievements.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

Yeah well retail = retail right? Some people like the convenience of not having to go get one, and prefer to get it straight from MS.

Whatever the reason, I am sure somebody out there appreciated the sale, and thats the point.

That's also because MS leeches money for everything, and 50 for subscription that doesn't even have dedicated servers (in games) is lame.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You post 2 minutes of each other back to back, have gotten 62 rep, and still havent figured out how to use the EDIT button?

Also, if MS was 'leeching money for everything' why would they then be lowering their price? perhaps they are trying to be more competitve with retail stores selling the same product for cheaper. Can you really blame them? After all, it is MICROSOFT XBOX LIVE

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard
View Post

That's also because MS leeches money for everything, and 50 for subscription that doesn't even have dedicated servers (in games) is lame.

Really? You mean this isn't a dedicated server? What is it? Running off someone's Xbox 360? Last time I checked, Microsoft spends millions logging and displaying Halo 3 statistics for over 1 billion matches, screenshots, movies, and hosting tournaments with cash prizes. Banjo-Kazooie has a site where anyone can upload their screenshots, movies, and contraptions. Microsoft runs these things, not the companies that build the games. Microsoft hosts their patches, demos, and arcade games, not the companies that designed them. And really, $2.50 a month for an online service is hardly leeching money. That is the cost of a single cup of coffee...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts