Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building a new 7980XE X299 EVGA Dark and I purchased 2 kits of 16x2 trident Z 3866. F4-3866C18D-32GTZR. I’m fully aware that with two, dual channel kits, I may not get the performance of one quad channel kit. My question is, I believe this is Samsung b die, what’s the lowest latency I can get to? I’m not trying to push clocks, I’d be happy with 3600. But I want some tight timings. Is 3600 14-14-14 doable with some 24x7 voltage? Or 3200 12-12-12?

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
No one will tell. You should focus on getting more frequency rather than ultra low timings.

·
ObiwanShinobi
211 Posts
the RBG lowers latency timings

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
You're here to catch a ban, aren't you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the RBG lowers latency timings
Come on man, that doesn’t help anyone. I am legit asking because I see people push these clocks very high, and I would like the converse and just have some ultra tight timings if possible. So I’m just asking the question, No need to be rude about it

·
ObiwanShinobi
211 Posts
I was joking man. anyway the days of ultra low latency really mattering is over.

back in DDR2 you could get down to CL4 latency but focusing on higher clocks matters more. I'd say overclock your ram as high as possible then do mem tests and when it boots it won't be stable at first. find the highest clock at stock latency then back it down by 10 percent and find highest stable latency.

then keep fiddling with it until you can get the fastest latency to clock ratio, remember clock speed matters more than latencies though but you might be able to push both that way but make sure your ram is stable first and foremost

in case you don't know how to stress test memory. honestly I wouldn't hope for max clock plus good results lowering latency because chip manufactures love to take shortcuts. DDR4 ram is pretty sensitive to voltage so do your research as to what it will take. I remember when ram would take up to 1.75 volts and still be okay. those days are gone.

You're here to catch a ban, aren't you.

saying something funny isn't the same as insulting someone/attacking them, and if someone really wants help, I'll still help them either way.

if they ban me after offering help without having been hostile for making a joke honestly I'd be pretty surprised. first post was half on topic, second post actually offered help.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Getting back to the topic - you might be able to drop the CL timing to 16 but seriously, more frequency>lower timings. And getting the quad Channel will benefit you the most.

·
ObiwanShinobi
211 Posts
Getting back to the topic - you might be able to drop the CL timing to 16 but seriously, more frequency>lower timings. And getting the quad Channel will benefit you the most.
this is true you're better off with four 4gb sticks than two 8gb sticks memory bandwidth increases for quad channel memory quite a bit and would probably benefit more than just a mild overclock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts