Overclock.net banner

GSync/Freesync Advice

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  CamsX 
#1 ·
I'm in a weird situation and am looking for some advice...

My crossfire 7970's haven't worked with DVI monitors since Crimson was released (single card works / both don't). They still work with DP connections which is only my 1080p 27" monitor sadly. That means I can't use crossfire on my 1440p Qnix.

I am looking at picking up a 1440p / 144Hz monitor to use with my current system and then the system I will be building within the next year.

My problem is that monitors now have GSync and Freesync and if I purchase one, it pretty much locks me into a company for my next GPU. I would be comfortable with that if my current setup with NVIDIA (I would just get a GTX 1080), but that won't work since I have AMD cards atm. So if I buy Freesync, I am basically hoping that Vega doesn't blow.

What are the chances that Vega blows?
Should I relegate myself to playing low FPS 1440p games or high FPS 1080p games on my current setup until I decide on my new setup (in a year sadly...since AMD is skipping the middle group GPU and only going high end...)?

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

you could wait for Polaris and upgrade because GCN1 doesnt support Freesync, onyl GCN2 and newer, so a HD 7790,285, 290 290X,, R9 Fury, R9 Fury X, R9 Nano or newer
Actually, that makes everything much easier. I won't be buying a freesync monitor and can just get a GTX 1080 in my upgrade instead of waiting for a year for AMD to do something. Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

which is better right now - Gsync or Freesync in performance (excluding price) ?

or are they equals ?

give it to me straight
redface.gif
I haven't seen a review from anyone with the proper testing equipment take this on in a long time.

Freesync had flaws that I believe the monitor makers and AMD worked hard to fix and I feel it's probably equal tech overall at this point.

#7 ·
Impossible problem. Been trying to capture my thoughts but it all boils down to AMD and Nvidia have both been silly and left us all in an impossible position and it sucks for everyone involved. If Vega is awesome for its price compared to the 1080 ti it likely wont be so good to overcome the cost of changing from gsync to freesync, infact I know that is the case. I personally think given that what you should do is choose the better monitor and technology. Make sure you check reviews for overdrive as a lot of freesync panels are really poor in this regard and also get one of the larger FPS range monitors for low FPS performance. Also worth considering whether you want ULMB and 3D vision or not. Choose the monitor as its the expensive long term part then just fit the GPU solution that works with it and accept these companies locked you in on purpose to make more money.

I hate them both for it, Nvidia for making gsync and not opening it up as a standard to compete on its own merits and AMD for ignoring the fact it existed, rejecting Nvidia's licensing for the tech and causing effective lockin with Freesync and gsync panels. They both had their part to play in this mess and as you are noticing its bad news the moment you decide to buy one or the other. It is I think a great argument to just ignore the entire thing, if it wasn't so amazing. We also have HDR and 4k@120hz around the corner, might be worth just sitting on your hands for a bit and letting the market play out a little longer, ,maybe even until its clear how this is all going to shake out.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCandle View Post

I hate them both for it, Nvidia for making gsync and not opening it up as a standard to compete on its own merits and AMD for ignoring the fact it existed, rejecting Nvidia's licensing for the tech and causing effective lockin with Freesync and gsync panels.
The only fault is from Nvidia,they try to keep things to their own "standards" to exclude customers from their tech, locking physx with driver once people could use it with a mod,gameworks nvidia only features which uses at the same time to cripple amd performance,instead supporting freesync just locks to gsync their card
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/intel-backs-amds-freesync-bye-bye-g-sync-32677422/

If intel can use this ,then why nvidia cant?

#9 ·
another problem I see right now is the lack of actual monitors, especially for Freesync

I want ONLY an 16:9 1440p 27"144 Hz IPS monitor and it seems for that there are only 2 Freesync choices atm:

- Asus MG279Q - this one has only 35-90 or a hacked 56-144 Hz Freesync range, cant go 40-144 or 30-144 like Gsync
- Acer HF270HU - this one seems ok, but Ive seen HORRIBLE reviews for it and not just due to glow/BLB/QC issues (you can swap monitors until you get a decent one for that), but major problems with Freesync scaler and ghosting in Freesync mode .. heres one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1HP7RNQX7AO1Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0173PEX34 and Ive read the same thing on OC.net as well in the XF270HU thread

whereas for Gsync IPS you have PG279Q, XB270HU, XB271HU - all of them look to be working very well as far as Gsync goes aside from the usual IPS glow/BLB QC things, which is practically "normal" with these monitors

there are also upcoming 27" 144Hz (IPS) AOC and Viewsonic monitors, but the AOC model will have IPS only for their Gsync version, the Freesync one will be TN (maybe there is a reason for that ? .. maybe IPS + 2560x1440 + 144 Hz + Freesync have issues ?)

and Viewsonic ones have already been delayed once and seem fishy to me (also likely be overpriced)

granted theres also a bunch of 144 Hz Freesync monitors announced by AOC:
- AG272FCX 27" 16:9 1920x1080@144Hz VA Freesync
- AG302QCX 30" 21:9 2560x1080@144Hz VA Freesync
- AG302UCX 30" 21:9 3440x1440@144Hz VA Freesync
- AG322FCX 31.5" 16:9 1920x1080@144Hz VA Freesync
- AG352QCX 35" 21:9 2560x1080@144Hz VA Freesync
- AG352UCX 35" 21:9 3440x1440@144Hz VA Freesync

but :
1) they have not yet come out and noone tested them
2) dunno the actual working stable Freesync ranges on these
3) they are either ultrawide (which I dont really want) or 1920x1080
4) they are all VA .. again maybe this is for a reason - since IPS + Freesync 40-144Hz doesnt seem to be working well, maybe thats why AOC went VA for all their Freesync line ? VA looks nice, but its slower then IPS ...

#10 ·
Here's a more recent Freesync / Gsync comparison (a couple of months old)
thumb.gif

#11 ·
Freesync/G-Sync is well worth the investment. I use freesync and will not buy Nviidia cards anytime soon unless they start supporting it. That being said, if you already plan to get a 1080, the just buy the Gsync monitor and use it with your 7970s until you renew your system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.