Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm using KDE Neon, and I seem to be having some video issues. There is always some kind of... lag. When you mouse over the window control buttons, (close window, minimize window) they take forever to change color. Also, when you open or close a window, the animations are slow and clunky. Then there's youtube. Unless you play them on 480p, they're just not very smooth. It can do it on 720p fairly smooth, but you still might notice a little roughness here and there. And its pretty rough on 1080p. I am using a 1440p monitor. Could it be that my little Nvidia GT-620 card just isn't up to the task? Before I bought it, I looked up the specs and they say that it should be fine for 1440p. But there's just no way that it would play 1440p video, it struggles with 1080p.

So I guess I've learned my lesson with trusting those specs. Unless there could be something else going on here? I'm only using an old Core2Duo E6600 processor. But I figured being linux, this wouldn't matter all that much. I've got 4Gb of ddr2 RAM, and an old Creative XFi sound card. And a 400 watt power supply, and a Samsung Evo SSD. Its an old toaster, I know. But I wanted to use some old junk computer, to see if I could even adapt to using linux instead of windows. I really like KDE Neon and I want to make the switch to Linux. So is this a video card issue? Since its happening to youtube and the desktop animations, my guess would be yes. That indeed this video card is too weak. But I just thought I'd run it by you guys first. Oh I'm also using the proprietary Nvidia drivers, which should offer the best possible performance out of the card.

·
Registered
632 Posts
KDE nowadays is bloated compared to what it used to be. Too much emphasis on eyecandy IMO. I'd suggest installing LXDE.

Code:
sudo apt-get install lxde
or whatever.

Then next time you log in to your computer there should be a menu somewhere on the login screen that lets you pick which DE to use.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately there is only the keyboard icon, for the on screen keyboard. I don't see anywhere that you can change the DE. But if it weren't for KDE, I don't know if I could use linux. I might could do Ubuntu or a heavily modified Mint Cinnamon. The eye candy is all important for me. Aesthetic is one of my primary concerns. I'm coming over from Windows 10 so I don't want to feel like I stepped backwards in time 15 years. KDE is perfect for that, makes me feel much more at home. I'd say that I love KDE Neon.

It does show that I'm only using about half of the GT-620's video memory, at any given time. When I open a lot of programs and play a youtube video at 1080p, it still only shows that I'm using around 740Mb of an available 950Mb. That seems like I've got some room to spare, when it comes to video memory at least.

Could it be that the GPU itself just isn't up to the task?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I dunno, I usually disable all animations possible.
If you want smooth eye candy at 1440p you probably need both CPU and GPU upgrades. Only need faster speed, 4GB RAM/1GB VRAM should already be enough.

CPU
Minimum 4 threads
min. i3-6100 for 2c/4t
i5-2500 for 4c/4t
FX-6300 for 6c/6t

GPU
RX 460
GTX 1050

This should be enough for a budget build that's reasonably modern compared to what you've got...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about installing waterfox? Anyone here use Waterfox or Pale Moon browser on Linux? Where's all the linux guys?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Changing your browser is unlikely to do anything when it's your DE that's eating up your CPU/GPU cycles.

If you want to try disabling the newer video codecs in Firefox, go into about:config
Set
Code:
media.mediasource.webm.enabled
to
Code:
false

This might help video playback but won't do anything about desktop animations.

For more specific help on KDE Neon you should probably go sign up on forum dedicated to it:
https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=309

But don't be surprised if they also tell you to either disable animations or upgrade your hardware.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
If you want smooth eye candy at 1440p you probably need both CPU and GPU upgrades. Only need faster speed, 4GB RAM/1GB VRAM should already be enough.
Agreed. I fooled around on KDE with a few old machines and found that if you want all the effects and speed, you need decent hardware. That was a couple years ago, but if anything it seems more resource intensive these days.

How about installing waterfox? Anyone here use Waterfox or Pale Moon browser on Linux? Where's all the linux guys?
You might be surprised that you won't miss many of the window effects that are hogging resources. You can disable window effects one by one to find which have the most impact on resources and which you can/can't live without. That's what I wound up doing, and eventually I had drastically improved performance and could barely tell what I'd disabled; quite a few window effects had a large impact on resources but added little to nothing aesthetically.

Switching to a lighter DE (as in, pretty much anything else) was better still, and I was surprised even the barebones DEs had many more window effects than I care to use. YMMV of course.

I always used Pale Moon before I switched to Linux. At the time, IIRC, the devs weren't confident in the Linux version, so I switched to regular Firefox. If you try it, let me know how you make out. Never had much interest in Waterfox, so couldn't tell you about that.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But don't be surprised if they also tell you to either disable animations or upgrade your hardware.
Yeah I've decided to go ahead and upgrade the hardware. For around $30 on ebay, I bought a used Dell motherboard, an I5-2500s CPU, and 8Gb of ddr3. That should be one heck of an upgrade. I'm also bidding on a GTX 750ti. Its not a 1050 like you mentioned, but I think it will handle the video just fine. I won't be gaming on the computer.

You might be surprised that you won't miss many of the window effects that are hogging resources. You can disable window effects one by one to find which have the most impact on resources and which you can/can't live without. That's what I wound up doing, and eventually I had drastically improved performance and could barely tell what I'd disabled; quite a few window effects had a large impact on resources but added little to nothing aesthetically.

Can you remember which ones you disabled, exactly? That led to the decrease in resource use. There are just so many that its hard to know which ones to disable. I started with the window animations, and that did help to some degree. I set them to instant instead of having a delay, which basically turns window animations off.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Can you remember which ones you disabled, exactly? That led to the decrease in resource use. There are just so many that its hard to know which ones to disable. I started with the window animations, and that did help to some degree. I set them to instant instead of having a delay, which basically turns window animations off.
I can't remember much of it. There are some guides out there. Reading this older one, I'm not sure how relevant it is these days, but I remember "Crisp" scaling made a big difference, I turned off blur as well.

It took quite some time playing around with it, turning each of them off and seeing what happened.

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Some moderator drama happened several years ago that basically chased us all off. Most of the Linux heads don't pop up very often anymore.

ON topic:

Are you using the nvidia proprietary drivers or nouveau? Nouveau might not be up to snuff, rather than your card not being up to snuff.

Also, vsync can be the problem. Remember that vsync typically increases the amount of rendering power required for smooth animations.

I'd have to do some reading since I haven't used KDE in a very long time.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some moderator drama happened several years ago that basically chased us all off. Most of the Linux heads don't pop up very often anymore.

ON topic:

Are you using the nvidia proprietary drivers or nouveau? Nouveau might not be up to snuff, rather than your card not being up to snuff.

Also, vsync can be the problem. Remember that vsync typically increases the amount of rendering power required for smooth animations.

I'd have to do some reading since I haven't used KDE in a very long time.
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to ask you a few questions while I've got you here. I got the graphics card issue figured out awhile back, my card was just too weak for what I was doing. What I'd really like to know, is how to be 100% sure that my particular distro isn't spying on me. With Canonical, it's become pretty clear that they're tired of being broke. So here comes the spyware. How do you get a modern looking DE, that for sure isn't spying on you? Who is it that really sits there and audits all this code?

If I'm going to be running something that really does seem like it's 10 years behind times, then I want to have a good reason to do it. The privacy violations of microshaft and google are enough to make me do that. But I still need verification of some kind. Maybe there's no real way to get any, and you just have to be the trusting type. For example here's the one I want to use:

I like it. I like the theme, I like the name, I like that I just install it and start using it. Without having to manage too awful much. But why'd that german company make it and put it out there for free? What are they getting out of it? Also people say you only get updates like once a year, but I'm not real sure how important that is. Something tells me not very.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,549 Posts
if you really want to stick it to Google and Microsoft you should buy a Mac. kill two birds with one computer.

·
Running With Scissors
97 Posts
Hi, in the last days i built a "brand new" linux box with components found in the bin... a q8200 cpu 2x4gb ddr3 1033 a wd blue 250gb HDD (planning to upgrade to an pny cs900 ssd soon) and a gt 210 (to upgrade with a gt 520 as soon as possible)

I'm trying to use kubuntu (i'm on _Mint 19 Cinnamon on my laptop from 2 years), and i think the gpu is fast enough to manage all the KDE transitions and effects.
The monitor i'm using is the same of my gaming rig, An 1080p 75hz Freesync. The only thing i noticed is a "tearing" when scrolling internet pages. But i haven't had time to study a fix for the moment.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,549 Posts
Hi, in the last days i built a "brand new" linux box with components found in the bin... a q8200 cpu 2x4gb ddr3 1033 a wd blue 250gb HDD (planning to upgrade to an pny cs900 ssd soon) and a gt 210 (to upgrade with a gt 520 as soon as possible)

I'm trying to use kubuntu (i'm on _Mint 19 Cinnamon on my laptop from 2 years), and i think the gpu is fast enough to manage all the KDE transitions and effects.
The monitor i'm using is the same of my gaming rig, An 1080p 75hz Freesync. The only thing i noticed is a "tearing" when scrolling internet pages. But i haven't had time to study a fix for the moment.

GT 210 should be able to handle Mint/KDE.

install the 340.xxx legacy driver instead of the latest.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been at it for awhile now, messing around with it just for fun. Here's my take on the whole matter:

Newer distros don't like that old stuff. Not if you want the pleasure of running the new distro the way it was really mean to run, with all the nice stuff turned on. I've tried a lot of them, in many different combinations with old hardware. And it seems they've come far enough that they want some form or fashion of newer hardware. Running distros from 2019 on stuff from 2008 doesn't really work out. It will function, but just ignore that clunking noise you hear. It's just not a nice experience. So i switched to hardware from 2014 and what do you know, the OS's all run like a well oiled machine.

My conclusion is that if you want things to run real nice on older hardware, you've got to use the niche distros that are made to do that. And that sure as hell ain't KDE and the rest of the new hotness. It probably needs to be something like Puppy linux or whatever Damn Small Linux turned into, I forget. That kind of stuff worked out well on the old hardware when I tried it. The nice new stuff... not so much. Even mint didn't really like my old stuff.

I ended up donating my late 2008's stuff recently, I just can't see any reason to keep it around.

·
Running With Scissors
97 Posts
GT 210 should be able to handle Mint/KDE.

install the 340.xxx legacy driver instead of the latest.
Yes, it's what i'm saying. It Works flawlessy, i only need to fix this tearing, but is a "common issue", so not a big problem. I'm running mint on my cheap-ass laptop (amd 6110---google it if you are curious) and it's fully operative.

Kubuntu on the q8200 it's fast as twice the notebook, it only need an ssd for speed.

You don't need brand new hardwaew to run linux in all of it's beauty.

The original question is "GT-620 Not good enough for KDE Neon?"

The answer is "Even a gt210 is FULLY Capable". So, enjoy it! :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The original question is "GT-620 Not good enough for KDE Neon?"

The answer is "Even a gt210 is FULLY Capable". So, enjoy it! :)
Not at 2k lol. Popped in a GTX 750 - World of difference. Computer went from slow and choppy to totally usable, and that was the only change.

·
Running With Scissors
97 Posts
2K... sorry... I'm on FullHD panel. Yes, gtx 750 is "beast".

However i'm having troubles configuring this new linux box. Trying to play with PCSX2 emulator it return me a "swrast" driver issue. I'm a linux N00B and now i have to figure this issue. But performance wise i'm quite happy.

I repeat i have a gt520 laying around and i need to swap it as soon as possible, but i'm looking for an AMD/ATI videocard since i know a little better the drivers.

Do you konw ho to completely remove the proprietary driver and install fresh the latest?

END O.T. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you konw ho to completely remove the proprietary driver and install fresh the latest?

END O.T. Sorry.
I'm something of a linux newb myself. I think all you do is find that driver in the software center and install it. I'm using KDE so I had to download a different package manager that lists the Nvidia Driver. I don't know how it would be for AMD cards. Then you have to open up whatever that window is that lets you pick what driver you're using. Oddly enough, I think I had to install that too. It was weird, it was called "Driver Picker" or something like that. I haven't messed with it in a long time cause I need to work on that computer and I have it all torn down in the garage right now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts