• Gentle Typhoon AP 15

Votes: 50 86.2%
  • Noctua NF-P14

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,393 Posts
Yes it's true. Noctuas have awful static pressure (not to mention they're hideous both in appearance and the disgusting ripoff pricing).

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
GT's are better for rads. Noctuas are better for less restrictive duties so good for case fans.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riou
View Post

GT's are better for rads. Noctuas are better for less restrictive duties so good for case fans.

this

and you mean GT's are good for Rads and Heatsinks....Noctua's have real crappy static pressure and look like poo

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cee
View Post

Oh my god, where ever I look, these AP 15's are out of stock..

!
Going to put 1 noctua as bottom intake, and AP 15 as H70 rad fans.

not sure where you're located but

Here

the ap15s are by far the better fans when compared to the noctuas. The noctuas are more case fans and are meant to be used without obstructions in front of it like a radiator.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
I can attest to the GT being better. I had a GT 1450 on my RX120 rad, it was pretty much inaudible when running cool, and not all that noisy when running hot (plugged into my motherboard header).

Unfortunately I took it out when doing a minor upgrade (adding a gasket between rad and fan), dropped it on the floor and managed to stand on it.

I replaced it with a NF-P12. It seems a lot noisier at 12v, and it gives an irritating hum at low speeds. The amount of air being pushed out of the back of the rad felt less too, although this was a very unscientific hand test, and I had nothing to directly compare it to.

However, I didn't really notice that much of a temperature drop between the two. Maybe as much a 1-2C, but that could also be due to the gasket stopping air leaking in from the side of the fan. Who knows?

I will be getting an AP-15 with my next order.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
FYI, I have someone that wanted to know this exact question and was willing to pay for a pair of P12s for me to test. I ordered some last night and going to start some head to head testing possibly this weekend.

I will post my results...

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
FYI, from what I can tell, the AP-15s are better than the lower model above around 700RPMs. I extracted data from xbit labs open air testing to plot this chart.
LL

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Yes it's true. Noctuas have awful static pressure (not to mention they're hideous both in appearance and the disgusting ripoff pricing).
While I agree that they're not as good, I actually like the unique appearance of the fan.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcuong View Post
how about AP-15 vs. Thermalright FDB 2000rpm?

Fan blade density appears to be tuned for open air duties (case fan). On a radiator at lower speeds it seems like fans with a higher number of blades or much wider blades are really the type we need for radiator applications. I've been focusing on radiator fans..but if you guys find any you really like let me know...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohzer0 View Post
not sure where you're located but

Here

the ap15s are by far the better fans when compared to the noctuas. The noctuas are more case fans and are meant to be used without obstructions in front of it like a radiator.
Thanks for link, but I am from UK, where ever I look, they are out of stock..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know about UK, but in the US there will be wide availability at then end of October or early November. Prices should be lower then, instead of those that have some left basically raping people on the price. Just how it goes with "supply and demand".

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cee View Post
Thanks for link, but I am from UK, where ever I look, they are out of stock..
Quiet PC are supposed to be getting a load in in 22 days (300 ordered, 120 reserved).

Special Tech say they should be in stock by the 27th (5 days).

I am hoping that there will be some at the end of October, putting in my next order so it is ready for me to play with when I get home.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The GT-AP15 would be the choice given the static pressure being produced.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts