Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

In the latest episode of Pach-Attack, Pachter said only 10 percent of PCs have more power than PS3, contending PS3 is more powerful than 90 percent of them. When asked by one of his viewers if PC gaming is dead, Pachter said:
“The PC market if you think about it just as package products sold â€" and let’s include steam in there, not subscription like World of Warcraft, is something like six or seven percent of total games sales â€" it’s not a big numnber,†he said.
“It’s becoming a declining industry because you can get a near PC experience on a console right now and I know flamers you all have PCs that just crap all over the PS3 and are much, much more powerful. But the PS3 is a pretty powerful box and it’s probably more powerful than 90 percent of PCs out there.â€
Pachter also said that “the Xbox 360 is probably more powerful than 85 percent of PCs out there.â€

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/03/2...ercent-of-pcs/

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Quote:

the Xbox 360 is probably more powerful than 85 percent of PCs out there.

You know what? I'm done. I'm not even gonna say anything.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yes, and microwaves are more powerful than 90% of pcs as well, but I don't use the microwave for the same reasons I use my pc.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
there are too many things wrong with that comment to even begin to tear it appart

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Lol is about all that can be said about that. The consoles are so dated right now. Hell, there's PCs at Best Buy/Fry's etc. that aren't expensive that easily cover the consoles as far as performance goes.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
110% of all statistics are made up. He says probably before both.
Also

Quote:
not subscription like World of Warcraft
Why NOT include them?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
90% of PCs include work PCs, school PCs, and PoS.

The PS3 is probably slower than 90% of gaming PCS.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
I would believe it. A lot of people I know personally don't pc game, just consoles because it is a cheaper solution. PC gaming is much better than console gaming IMO, but console gaming is much more popular. You have to remember that most people own crappy desktop computers for work or the internet, not to game.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well he probably is correct. Most people aren't enthusiasts with high end PC's. The average user has a PC that is used for web browsing and as a word processor.

However, most gamers probably have a better or very comparable PC. Work places don't exactly have consoles sitting around, so including work PC's is a pretty dumb argument.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Considering most PC's out there are old PC's or PC's with Intel Crap-hics, that makes sense.

·
Registered
955 Posts
LOL. I kind of agree with Behemoth up there, because people don't generally have good PC's. But out of how many that do, there are a LOT of people that have computers. And only 10% is probably right because the 10% are guys like us who are constantly upgrading their systems, not to be competitive with the Xbox360 or PS3, but to just have a good computer that can play games. Take this into account, and you have 90% computers that are slower than PS3's.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
oh yes because a 7800GTX is so POWERFUL these days....

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Cell is very powerful at whatever it is IBM made it for.. But that is just a huge troll. How that ignorant ****** gets payed to spout garbage like this is baffling..

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Yeah... the cell can do 100+ GFLOPS of vector math.... which nobody uses (outside of graphics programming).

And since the CELL is not used for GFX... why does he make such a crappy statement? The GFX card in the PS3 gets whooped by the HD4670, or the 9600GT, niether of which are really top-end cards, even at launch.

Once upon a time, the PS3 was the most powerful console (in terms of CELL power), and once upon a time, the xbox360 was the most powerful console (triple core + HT PowerPC - like a mac at the time
).

·
Registered
997 Posts
You know, he is pretty correct. You guys need to realize there are a lot more than just top of the line gaming PCs in the world. About two of my friends have an awesome gaming PC everybody else I know has a 5-10 year old HP/Dell.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
90% of PCs include work PCs, school PCs, and PoS.

The PS3 is probably slower than 90% of gaming PCS.
I love you Duckie!

God I hate how dumbasses make articles about 'probably' and 'may' and 'might'.

If I made an article that states "DuckieHo may be a woman" I would be wrong... and sorry to say it Duckie, but this guy just did that! Go make him one of your kickass computers and show him up!

Anyway, random poster is random, so I'll go do something that fatigue can be more literate about...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sm0keydaBear View Post
LOL. I kind of agree with Behemoth up there, because people don't generally have good PC's. But out of how many that do, there are a LOT of people that have computers. And only 10% is probably right because the 10% are guys like us who are constantly upgrading their systems, not to be competitive with the Xbox360 or PS3, but to just have a good computer that can play games. Take this into account, and you have 90% computers that are slower than PS3's.
You can get a quad core, 6GB DDR3 ram in tri-channel for 500$ CANADIAN at Staples now... you can get a PC with 4GB of ram and an e5400 desktop PC for 300$... both PCs have a 9600GT... so, you tell me... which is the better deal? I see SOOO many people buying them, so even the "you guys have gaming PCs, *snort*, so shaddup" doesnt work (I'm not making fun of you, I'm just making a general statement and in my fatigue I am writing with my awesome use of english).

You gotta remember, ppl just buy stuff. They want "8GB of Ram, I don't care about GPU, I wanna game" so they get higher end than they need for some stuff, and upgrade the GPU later...

So that statement is only true if you put it in context like Duckie did... most PCs are at work, PoS, and school... but if you look at HOME USERS, most people have a PC you can game with!

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
If you think about it, go out in public and ask 100 random people what a cpu is. 90% of them will get it wrong. Case in point, not a lot of people are computer enthusiasts. It's just sad hearing about the supposed "decline" of pc gaming. I really hope it does not go down the tubes. I honestly believe that valve is our saving grace. If it wasn't for valve, I don't know where the pc gaming industry would be. That's just my opinion though, I practically worship steam lol

1 - 20 of 199 Posts