Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've tried playing GTA4 and it laggs like hell.... my PC should be able to play it on max settings, i've seen videos on youtube of pple with the same setup getting 60fps on max settings.

I've read that the game is poorly designed and that it wastes 50% of the CPU cycle and that its just a bad console port, i've read about different tweaks and patches but i'm not sure what needs to be done for my config.

I'm running windows 7 X64, with a AMD Phenom II 955 [email protected] 3.7GHZ, CPU/NB2400, 6GB DDr3 1600MHZ asus 5870 OC at 1000/1300 CCC drivers 10.9.

Playing the game on maximum settings or lowest doesnt make much of a difference. I had the same issues with Crysis but found out playing the 32Bit version fixed my issues.... i get 50FPS on everything max including AA for crysis so why not GTA4?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Sometimes the lag is caused by overclocking the GPU and then playing the game, and that causes the driver to crash and then you have to re-install the driver
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,566 Posts
It because you have a dual core CPU. GTA4 is one of the few games that you need to run on a quad core in order for it to run well, even with ur OC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
It because you have a dual core CPU. GTA4 is one of the few games that you need to run on a quad core in order for it to run well, even with ur OC.
My Phenom II 955 is a quad core OC at 3.7GHz...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Have you updated the game because retail version (1.00) has performance issues that has been fixed (mostly) in the later patches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3gacy View Post
It can run well on a dual core with the right settings, and isnt the Phenom II 955 a quad core?? LOL
Custom settings?
Kinda like Realism mod for Crysis then; better graphics, better performance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
I've been having problems too lately... ever since the 10.9 drivers... I run around the city at about 60fps v sync, but the frames will always drop to like 10 frames and shoot back up... need an update fast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Same problem, I think GTA 4 doesn't like AMD processors.
If you ask some guys who's having i7, i am 75% sure, perfomance is ok.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,566 Posts
Oh my bad, Im noot familiar with AMD processors. GTA4 is just not a well made game in terms of performance. Dont get too caught up on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
Have you updated the game because retail version (1.00) has performance issues that has been fixed (mostly) in the later patches.
GTA4's performance is far from fixed.

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/82...rash-just.html

I average in the low-20's during actual gameplay on my sig rig. And that's with the sliders set to 32 each.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I had poor performance until I update the game to the latest version. Now it runs just fine. Not that it is all that fun.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maytan View Post
GTA4's performance is far from fixed.

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/82...rash-just.html

I average in the low-20's during actual gameplay on my sig rig. And that's with the sliders set to 32 each.
I'm running at 45-60FPS with 32 on everything except shadows that is maxed and 1920*1080. with everything at Very High.
So it proves it's optimized with quad+
Though I have a GTX 480 which changes the table.

But with my GTX260 I got 30-40FPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
I'm running at 45-60FPS with 32 on everything except shadows that is maxed and 1920*1080. with everything at Very High.
So it proves it's optimized with quad+
Though I have a GTX 480 which changes the table.

But with my GTX260 I got 30-40FPS.
My overclocked 5870 should perform close to your GTX480.... it's seems it's ATI's drovers here that are sucky or like someone else said earlier that GTA just doesnt like AMD CPUs.... im kind disappointed here cuz i know i have the power need to run that game at its full potential but cant use it correctly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,831 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
So it proves it's optimized with quad+
I'm running a quad. <_< I think that GTA4 just performs much better on Intel processors.
 

·
MEGABYTE ME
Joined
·
2,765 Posts
I used to run this game on my 5870 and it ran terrible until I applied the latest patch 1.0.7.0
Believe it or not it really did help to smooth the game out. BTW in my case moving from the 5870 to the 480 did not help my performance what so ever far as I could tell. Only benefit was being able to max the draw distance thanks to more Vram on the 480. But setting for setting they both seemed to perform the same
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angeluszero View Post
My overclocked 5870 should perform close to your GTX480.... it's seems it's ATI's drovers here that are sucky or like someone else said earlier that GTA just doesnt like AMD CPUs.... im kind disappointed here cuz i know i have the power need to run that game at its full potential but cant use it correctly...
Seems like it.
It isn't the first time either...
Just look at Mafia II, ATi cards are left in the ditch


Quote:

Originally Posted by Maytan View Post
I'm running a quad. <_< I think that GTA4 just performs much better on Intel processors.
Think it's more of a card issue here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
Think it's more of a card issue here.
You mean to tell me that GTA4 is GPU intensive? And yes, the game DOES support CF. I get 5-6FPS more with CF than without.

Even on minimum settings at 1920x1080, I still only manage 60-70FPS. I believe the game is at fault.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top