Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this yesterday afternoon and I can't seem to figure it out, hoping one of my fellow folders can shed some light on it.

Have had my GTS 250 shaders at 1850 since I received the card - Nice and easy shader OC. For some reason yesterday afternoon while I was at work I noticed that the TPF of it was rather high and it's PPD was around 1.5k. When I got home and started to play with it I found that the PPD value would start at over 5k but then plummet down after about 15%. I have not tried to run this client by itself but I did put it down to stock clocks and it's still doing the same thing this morning.

On an entirely different note my i7 at the same clocks as my 1055T is getting the same PPD in the SMP client - disappointing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
What's disappointing, the Intel i7 or AMD 1055t? And your video card is probably overheating like crazy and thus throttling down. From what I have been researching and read, the Core i7 with HT on performs on par with the AMD 6 cores. People don't believe so because I see 4.0GHZ 1055t compared against stock i7 920s. Now when they are both 4.0Ghz, they both perform very similarly and it seems that the i7 920 might even edge out the 1055t.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny13oi View Post
What's disappointing, the Intel i7 or AMD 1055t? And your video card is probably overheating like crazy and thus throttling down. From what I have been researching and read, the Core i7 with HT on performs on par with the AMD 6 cores. People don't believe so because I see 4.0GHZ 1055t compared against stock i7 920s. Now when they are both 4.0Ghz, they both perform very similarly and it seems that the i7 920 might even edge out the 1055t.
This - on both counts. What are your GPU temps?

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTS 250 is in the 69C, GTX 470 is at 89C, CPU is at 68C

All load temps - and I was expecting at least 1-2k up in PPD from my 1055T...I mean...two more threads and all. Oh well, least my PC innards match?

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,045 Posts
If you haven't already you may check in GPU-z and make sure your card isn't forcing itself into 2D clocks. One of my cards did this randomly and the only fix I did was restart the PC. I know there is something you can do to force it to always be in 3D clocks, assuming that is your problem. My mind is completely blank as to what the name of it is though so sorry.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBalll View Post
If you haven't already you may check in GPU-z and make sure your card isn't forcing itself into 2D clocks. One of my cards did this randomly and the only fix I did was restart the PC. I know there is something you can do to force it to always be in 3D clocks, assuming that is your problem. My mind is completely blank as to what the name of it is though so sorry.

I'll check GPUz, don't think I checked for 2D clocks, I did restart my PC last night a few times as I was OC'ing my CPU after installing the fresh from RMA H50.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeYo
View Post

It's two more threads, but still two less cores.

Yeah, the only plus side to it is that for AMD boards you have a choice of blue or red boards where as on the Intel side they come in all colors (yay!). So I'm happy with the move, specially after getting my H50 back and actually being able to OC my chip.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqualoon
View Post

I noticed this yesterday afternoon and I can't seem to figure it out, hoping one of my fellow folders can shed some light on it.

Have had my GTS 250 shaders at 1850 since I received the card - Nice and easy shader OC. For some reason yesterday afternoon while I was at work I noticed that the TPF of it was rather high and it's PPD was around 1.5k. When I got home and started to play with it I found that the PPD value would start at over 5k but then plummet down after about 15%. I have not tried to run this client by itself but I did put it down to stock clocks and it's still doing the same thing this morning.

On an entirely different note my i7 at the same clocks as my 1055T is getting the same PPD in the SMP client - disappointing.

is this my old card your using? I remember when I had it and it did this I had to use rivaturner to force 3d clocks all the time because even a slight dip in the process of the Wu its working on would cause it to drop

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tank
View Post

is this my old card your using? I remember when I had it and it did this I had to use rivaturner to force 3d clocks all the time because even a slight dip in the process of the Wu its working on would cause it to drop

Yes Sir it is, I'll have to download rivaturner and try that out, haven't used that program since the good ole days of the ATI 9800 Pro.

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,045 Posts
Rivatuner, that's what it was I couldn't think of. Did the 2D thing end up being your problem as far as GPU is concerned?

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBalll View Post
Rivatuner, that's what it was I couldn't think of. Did the 2D thing end up being your problem as far as GPU is concerned?
I'll have to try it when I get home, won't probably be until after 9pm CST - I'll update this thread then. Eager to get my PPD thing figured out a good week before the July Foldathon.

Will have to brush up on my Rivatuner as well...been awhile

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,045 Posts
Ah yes. If I'm not playing TF2 I'll be sure to look at the thread again to hopefully further help, but 2D clocks does sound like the problem.

Yeah, I think I downloaded Riva once, looked at it and said no. Sometime I need to actually look through it and see what it offers.

Well, good luck later this evening with this then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts