Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-pascal-gtx-1080-1070,31754.html

According to the the official news it seems that the GTX 1070 and will be more powerful than the Titan X, have 8GB GDDR5 and cost $379! To me this fills the same general price point as the GTX 970 while offering an amazing amount of performance.

Ive been sitting on my GTX 660ti waiting for an nvidia card that offers a real boost at the same price point and the GTX 970 just wasnt a big enough jump for me but this I will likely get. Kinda bummed its not HBM/HBM2 but I figure get one when they come out and a second a year or 2 latter and I could run everything pretty well on my tri 1080p monitors. In a few more years when prices on 4k monitors come down and Nvidia has HBM2 or better standard by then the cards will be handling 4k like cards handle 1080p now and ill upgrade monitors and cards.

Hopefully they will have the 1070's with the reference cooling readily available and not price hiked like current GTX cards. Interested to see what vendors come out with too in regards to cooling or if they just stick to similar designs they have been using.

If the GTX 1070 overclocks well I may even get a Swiftech H320 X2 and cool the card too, presuming blocks arent scarce.

So who else is excited about the GTX 1070 more so than the GTX 1080? I wonder if they will have a card between the price points, as $379 to $599 seems like a big jump. Maybe a GTX 1075/1070ti down the road at about $475-$500?

·
Overclocker
11,636 Posts
There are 4 cards being released:
1070 $379 or was it $399? Well something like that.
1070 Nvidia edition or what was the name premium +$100 I believe
1080 $599
1080 Nvidia edition or what was the name premium +$100 I believe

No idea what the special ones are, I guess they are a more cherry picked samples that OC better maybe have an extra power connector or higher TDP by default in VBIOS along with higher core clocks. Or maybe they just slap a watercooling on it and ask for +$100. I don't think there were any details revealed yesterday, very little was said altogether about the cards. No idea if they finally support async compute etc. and have full DX12 support unlike Maxwell, same thing with 1070 and how it's memory is arranged, maybe it will be 7+1GB just like 970 was due to cut down memory controller count or what is the correct name for it.

I'm definitely looking forward to more affordable cards like 1070. Not everyone can spend 50%+ money dedicated to a complete PC build just on a GPU. It will be interesting to see what AMD offers in the mainstream with Polaris.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

There are 4 cards being released:
1070 $379 or was it $399? Well something like that.
1070 Nvidia edition or what was the name premium +$100 I believe
1080 $599
1080 Nvidia edition or what was the name premium +$100 I believe

No idea what the special ones are, I guess they are a more cherry picked samples that OC better maybe have an extra power connector or higher TDP by default in VBIOS along with higher core clocks. Or maybe they just slap a watercooling on it and ask for +$100. I don't think there were any details revealed yesterday, very little was said altogether about the cards. No idea if they finally support async compute etc. and have full DX12 support unlike Maxwell, same thing with 1070 and how it's memory is arranged, maybe it will be 7+1GB just like 970 was due to cut down memory controller count or what is the correct name for it.

I'm definitely looking forward to more affordable cards like 1070. Not everyone can spend 50%+ money dedicated to a complete PC build just on a GPU. It will be interesting to see what AMD offers in the mainstream with Polaris.
The "Founders edition" cards are available earlier than the one from the board partners, as well as having the reference cooler. Which might be an advantage to some people. They could be cherry-picked, but that has not been revealed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm gaming on 4k right now using two gtx 670. Really looking forward to the new range of cards from both camps. In aus the gtx 1070 will around $500 and the Gtx 1080 $900, the monitor i have is the LG mu67 free sync monitor, ideally would love to go amd but at this point I'm hoping the gtx 1070 is good at 4k.
looking forward to seeing some benchmarks. I've heard that the gtx1080 is released on may 27 and the gtx 1070 June 10th.
My guess is that the gtx 1070 is not close to the performance of the gtx 1080 because of the price difference and the later release.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is cherry picked as the article says they should give better overclock. I doubt they will be water cooled. Also the article seems to indicate launch dates for founders vs regular are the same.

Even if they cut the RAM to something like 7GB + 1GB, to be honest I wouldn't care. I highly doubt after the backlash of the GTX 970 they would make that mistake again though. I have no doubt the GTX 1070 will handle just about anything 1080p on full settings, and likely handle anything sub 4k with relative ease. Im wondering if a single GTX 1070 could handle 4k at playable rates in some games with some stuff turned down (not that I think the target audience at that price point is buying a 4k monitor).

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
for $160 more you can have 1070 SLI, and if its already faster than a titan x single... plus with gsync monitors eliminating most dual card issues... not to mention DX12... I am honestly leaning towards two 1070s whenever i get done with my schooling anyway, but by then 1080ti will be out and i prob will just grab one of those and oc like a mad man with too much power in his hands hehehehehe

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechwarrior View Post

I've heard that the gtx1080 is released on may 27 and the gtx 1070 June 10th.
My guess is that the gtx 1070 is not close to the performance of the gtx 1080 because of the price difference and the later release.
The article I linked confirms the dates. Also, its not close, but at the same time very good. They say that the GTX1080 is supposed to offer 2x the performance of a Titan X and that the GTX 1070 will exceed the performance of a titan X as well. The only means of comparison between the cards they give is in terms of TFLOPS, with the GTX 1080 being 9 tflops and the GTX 1070 being 6.5. While I know this isnt an exact science, presuming that the correlation is 1:1, that would seem to indicate that the GTX 1070 offers about 66% the performance of a GTX 1080 and so if the GTX 1080 is 2x a Titan X a GTX 1070 would be like 33% faster than a Titan X.

Just for the sake of argument even if the GTX 1070 was only 1% better than a Titan X, at $379, 8GB RAM and much lower power consumption i'd be very happy. Really looking forward to these

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

for $160 more you can have 1070 SLI, and if its already faster than a titan x single... plus with gsync monitors eliminating most dual card issues... not to mention DX12... I am honestly leaning towards two 1070s whenever i get done with my schooling anyway, but by then 1080ti will be out and i prob will just grab one of those and oc like a mad man with too much power in his hands hehehehehe
True, despite SLI improving I'd always rather have a single card vs sli presuming price/performance is equal. The nice thing about sli as an option is being able to spread the cost over time and/or improve performance at a comparatively low price vs completely upgrading a single card.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

True, despite SLI improving I'd always rather have a single card vs sli presuming price/performance is equal. The nice thing about sli as an option is being able to spread the cost over time and/or improve performance at a comparatively low price vs completely upgrading a single card.
Just have to wait for benches first, I mean if its a 50-60% gain over a single 1080 in a lot of games, will be worth the extra $160 imo.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Originally I was planning to go GTX 1080
but after hearing the prices int he video

Two GTX 1070 on SLI is definitely a way better option than One GTX 1080
thumb.gif

by the time they release GTX 1070ti then can i get rid of the old GTX 1070 for two new GTX 1070 ti
wink.gif

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
The GTX 1070 is my next card for sure! Nvidia nailed the price to performance ratio with the 970 and I never thought we'd see them do it again for their next generation hardware. Hopefully there's no RAM-gate shenanigans
redface.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRUSH View Post

The GTX 1070 is my next card for sure! Nvidia nailed the price to performance ratio with the 970 and I never thought we'd see them do it again for their next generation hardware. Hopefully there's no RAM-gate shenanigans
redface.gif
I cant imagine theyd be so dumb as to make that mistake again. I just hope sellers dont jack up the prices like what happened with the i7-6700k. Hopefully they are able to keep up with demand because that performance at $379 is gonna be much more popular than even the GTX 970 turned out to be.

The article doesnt get much into detail but im not sure id spend the extra on the Founders Edition if its just a better overclock. Its relative I guess, idk much about GPU overclocking but it seems they dont get as high a percentage overclock as CPU's get, so I cant imagine the founders edition squeezing out much more. Also, idk if they come pre-overclocked or if they provide some kind of guarantee as to what overclock can be accomplished. Seems like itd be a waste if there isnt a sure way to know before buying your getting something significantly faster.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm not as excited as I want to be.

All the charts and discussion was about the 1080. They were less forthcoming about the 1070. It could be slower than a TItan X for desktop applications but faster for VR. It will be awhile before we know if it is faster across the board.

Also they said barely anything about the Founder's Edition. Using the cooler from the Titan X is a nice perk but will it also have 2 8 pin connectors so more power can be fed into them? What level of binning if any can we expect?

Knowing the answers to these questions will determine if I'll get a Founder's edition next month or wait for their gaming bundle.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post

I'm not as excited as I want to be.

All the charts and discussion was about the 1080. They were less forthcoming about the 1070. It could be slower than a TItan X for desktop applications but faster for VR. It will be awhile before we know if it is faster across the board.

Also they said barely anything about the Founder's Edition. Using the cooler from the Titan X is a nice perk but will it also have 2 8 pin connectors so more power can be fed into them? What level of binning if any can we expect?

Knowing the answers to these questions will determine if I'll get a Founder's edition next month or wait for their gaming bundle.
I imagine these 14nm cards, on air coolers will overclock like beasts tho... time will tell, but I fully expect 2.8ghz oc's to be the norm, they showed 2.1ghz oc at he live event and that was reference cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys, I have two Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti in SLI now and I am using them mostly for my work for gpu rendering with vray and 3dsmax but also some occasional gaming (witcher 3, black ops 3 etc.).. I am trying to find out how much faster is the GTX 1080 from the 980 Ti but cant find a clear answer... I read that one 1080 is faster than 980 SLI, but how it compares to the 980 Ti SLi?? I also found this video on youtube, I dont know if its fake ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93DA9tiGJN0

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think the video is fake, no pics of cards or the settings used? they say 1080 is faster than a titan x, no real comparison for the 980 ti. I think the card will be faster than a single 980 ti, but not faster than 980 ti sli. 980 sli is not 100% scaling at best 80%.

·
Registered
158 Posts
To you guys that been around awhile.
Does the graphic chips maker like Nvidea usually brag that much about a new generation?

I mean, we all now that Microsoft says the same about every new Windows version (revolutionary faster, safer and more of everything).
I would love to have a Titan X performance and gladly splash out the money for a 1070 and dump my 970. But it sounds too good to...

By the way wouldn't a AMD FX-6350 be the bottleneck with a GTX 1070/Titan X?

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodbroke View Post

To you guys that been around awhile.
Does the graphic chips maker like Nvidea usually brag that much about a new generation?

I mean, we all now that Microsoft says the same about every new Windows version (revolutionary faster, safer and more of everything).
I would love to have a Titan X performance and gladly splash out the money for a 1070 and dump my 970. But it sounds too good to...

By the way wouldn't a AMD FX-6350 be the bottleneck with a GTX 1070/Titan X?
Every time. They're in the business of selling GPU's.

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
All I'm going to say is that regardless of how well they say these are going to perform, I'm glad I didn't buy a video card for my new build yet.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My
2cents.gif

People should wait for AMD Polaris, we havent seen hard numbers on the specs of the 1070 yet to even make a guess on the real performance. If AMD pull a rabbit out of the hat it might force pricing down or even just be a better proposition.

Bear in mind when they say faster then TX, its a bone stock one. We already have cards that can be 20% faster then stock Titan X, theyre called AIB 980Tis.

There is a suspicion that the GTX980/970 were slightly hobbled by its 256bit bus at higher esolutions, now theyre going to bring out a card with nearly the same bandwidth thats 60-70%(eg) faster, could be a problem.

Dont believe the hype until you see some independent numbers from reviewers.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts