Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry if posted already)
I don't know how the hell Nvidia clams that the 1080 is far superior to the Titan X or 980ti, because my OC'd on air TX completely destroys these numbers (minus texture fillrate, mine is at 229.4). I know the 1080 can and will be overclocked, but i'm breathing a sigh of relief knowing that i can patiently wait till the next ti or Titan.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone has seen this result

If this is real and not fake, the 1080 is 23% faster stock than a stock Titan X for Firetstrike Extreme. Overclocking the Titan X puts it around 14% slower than a 1080 (give or take a few percent). I bet with the right BIOS and settings, this gap will become single digit difference (vs stock 1080). With all this in mind, the 1080 can definatly beat a Titan X, but, to me atleast, it's not worth taking a massive loss and going for a 1080 right now. The Titan X will be able to hold its own atleast utnil the big chips are released

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Isn't the GTX 780 Ti also more powerful than the GTX 980 on paper? Yet in reality... I've actually had both a 780 Ti and 980, and I didn't use the newer drivers that gimped the 780 Ti's performance. The 980 delivered better performance as every review indicates.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

You ninja'd me big time. I just updated my post ^^
I'm at work, i'm a keyboard commando when it's slow
smile.gif

The performance is defintaly there (1080 vs Titan X), but the question is does it warrant selling the Titan X for $400-500 and spending an additional $200 to get a 1080? if you absolutely must, then yeah, i guess. but it would be smart to wait until the ti or new Titan comes out. to me, i doubt this is going to make a huge difference in games that you play unless you NEED 90-120fps

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post

I'm at work, i'm a keyboard commando when it's slow
smile.gif

The performance is defintaly there (1080 vs Titan X), but the question is does it warrant selling the Titan X for $400-500 and spending an additional $200 to get a 1080? if you absolutely must, then yeah, i guess. but it would be smart to wait until the ti or new Titan comes out. to me, i doubt this is going to make a huge difference in games that you play unless you NEED 90-120fps
I would make that deal but this will vary from person to person. My goal is 120 FPS so that I can use ULMB in every game, so I need every extra bit of performance. Same for people gaming at 4k.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

I would make that deal but this will vary from person to person. My goal is 120 FPS so that I can use ULMB in every game, so I need every extra bit of performance. Same for people gaming at 4k.
i agree with you, and it does vary person to person, you are 100% right.

·
Not a Fan
2,648 Posts
I just don't really trust any of these pre-NDA results, I wonder if some of these guys even know what they're doing. Any reason you'd want to run it in PCI-E 2? I wouldn't.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyCharlie View Post

I just don't really trust any of these pre-NDA results, I wonder if some of these guys even know what they're doing. Any reason you'd want to run it in PCI-E 2? I wouldn't.
Weird, I didn't even notice that. And that can't be the power saving, right? Power saving is why it's running at 1.1 instead of 2.0 I believe.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post

it is/was, until Nvidia gimped it in the drivers
There has been multiple tests done about Nvidia driver gimping their cards and none of them come back positive. To be fair, I've never seen one specifically done on the 780ti so it's possible they gimped that card alone but that seems unlikely and strange.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts