Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have Gtx 1080 Ti Fe. I bought card in march 2017. However when card is on load and when i put face to my opened case i can feel hot air and weird hot smell. My case is opened always. All protective films are removed. Gpu temps 83-84C. Cpu temps 60C. 6700K no oc. That hot smell is always when i run some game and card is heated. Is this normal or not? Psu is Corsair 750 RM.

Its hard to describe this smell. It not smell like burning or something.
It doesn't exactly smell like a burning smell but, its more of a hot hair dryer smell.

Any ideas?
My case is Centurion Cooler Master 590

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
How dusty is your environment? My case has plenty of dust filters and still I have to clean the inside every 4-6 months to avoid bad temps and noise.

My advice would be to disassemble your GPU and clean it completely, or have someone do it for you. Apply good TIM too if you can.

Also make sure no cables, zip ties or other plastic things are touching your card.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to describe this smell. It not smell like burning or something.
It doesn't exactly smell like a burning smell but, its more of a hot hair dryer smell. So i think its not because of dust?

·
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!
4,035 Posts
Why are you smelling your card's exhaust air?

I don't think that's a good reason to try for a replacement. Since there's no way to properly convey a smell over the internet, have you smelled other people's cards to make sure that it isn't just yours? Remember that the fan(s) for the cooler have a lubricant in them that could be heating up and causing the smell - in which case you'll always smell this. It also could be a smell coming from the thermal pads on the memory - you'd also always smell this....

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hot electronics can have a smell to them, though they shouldn't for the most part. You might be smelling dust.

How hot is this thing running exactly?

·
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!
4,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

Hot electronics can have a smell to them, though they shouldn't for the most part. You might be smelling dust.

How hot is this thing running exactly?
Read the 1st post....
thumb.gif

·
Iconoclast
30,643 Posts
Most components aren't remotely clean by the time they get to you. Most PCBs are washed in a bucket or recycled spray of solvent that is changed as infrequently as possible before going on to further assembly and packaging, where the part will pass through the hands of a dozen people before going out to distributors.

There is going to be a scuzz of flux residue and other stuff on most cards, and it's probably going to have a smell when warmed up, which may well be compounded by dust and other environmental stuff it's picked up since. You've had the card a while, and even in a clean environment it will have ingested all sorts of dust.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless the smell is strong and distinct.

·
Registered
891 Posts
It's tough to figure out if anything is out of the ordinary. Hot components always seem to have a kind of odd smell to them, hot aluminum, plastic, lubricant, etc. My FE 1080 is easy to take apart and clean, I'd recommend that like other people have mentioned.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2210 View Post

Read the 1st post....
thumb.gif
I.. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Most components aren't remotely clean by the time they get to you. Most PCBs are washed in a bucket or recycled spray of solvent that is changed as infrequently as possible before going on to further assembly and packaging, where the part will pass through the hands of a dozen people before going out to distributors.

There is going to be a scuzz of flux residue and other stuff on most cards, and it's probably going to have a smell when warmed up, which may well be compounded by dust and other environmental stuff it's picked up since. You've had the card a while, and even in a clean environment it will have ingested all sorts of dust.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless the smell is strong and distinct.
I agree, the only smell that would be cause for concern is a burning smell. Any electronic component at 80C+ can have a bit of an odd aroma. They have all sorts of chemicals that will off gas for years. Even once cleaned plastics will slowly leach over time, and outside dirt will accumulate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts