Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been logging into EVGA the last month and watching prices.... the last week I have seen prices drop down twice, this is the lowest I have seen it ... $649 isn't that bad... I think if it holds that price and maybe down further I might pick one up next month and use there step up program. Interested in the GTX 1180 but want to see benchmarks and would like at least 11GB of memory like the GTX 1080Ti. Anyway good to see and thought I would share.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6591-KR

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 1080. Literally 980ti oced performance. It's embarrassing that people think 450 is a good price for one in middle of 2018. 1080ti is essentially 2 year old performance at this point as well. The gpu market is a tragedy.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 1080. Literally 980ti oced performance. It's embarrassing that people think 450 is a good price for one in middle of 2018. 1080ti is essentially 2 year old performance at this point as well. The gpu market is a tragedy.
So are you suggesting we all wait for the next series of cards to come out? Do you really think the price:performance ratio will be better than what we're seeing now as the prices slowly start to come down? I'm curious to see what kind of inflated prices will result from the incoming hyper demand. I think everyone and their grandma has been in a holding pattern waiting for either the new cards or the market to stabilize, but that's just rhetoric you can see on a Hotels.com Captain Obvious commercial...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are you suggesting we all wait for the next series of cards to come out? Do you really think the price:performance ratio will be better than what we're seeing now as the prices slowly start to come down? I'm curious to see what kind of inflated prices will result from the incoming hyper demand. I think everyone and their grandma has been in a holding pattern waiting for either the new cards or the market to stabilize, but that's just rhetoric you can see on a Hotels.com Captain Obvious commercial...
This.... prices have finally started to come down to where it almost makes sense for me to upgrade from my GTX 780. The performance from the 1080Ti even now is superb at 1440 in all games above 60fps at ultra settings. I just don't want to be caught paying 900-1k for the next round of cards and prices not going down on them as well for years.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I don't care about perf/price that went out the window long time ago in my mindset. These new cards aren't going to be amazing either in perf/price. I know there are plenty of hold outs but these current prices are just milking of what's left. I am sure the newer cards will be priced higher out the door just to help get rid of 10 series hanging around. I can see how the 1080 @ 450 today is a good deal if you look at past 1 year pricing, but 1080s were like 485-500 before the mining boom. In the long run grabbing 2 yr old gpu tech (with the mindset that it's a good deal) at near 2 year ago prices doesn't help the consumer in the long run.

·
waifu for lifu
11,317 Posts
Leaving the performance and pricing out of the equation some of the possible new tech may sway gamers to get the next gen. Those rumored tech being RTX and nvlink.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I don't care about perf/price that went out the window long time ago in my mindset. These new cards aren't going to be amazing either in perf/price. I know there are plenty of hold outs but these current prices are just milking of what's left. I am sure the newer cards will be priced higher out the door just to help get rid of 10 series hanging around. I can see how the 1080 @ 450 today is a good deal if you look at past 1 year pricing, but 1080s were like 485-500 before the mining boom. In the long run grabbing 2 yr old gpu tech (with the mindset that it's a good deal) at near 2 year ago prices doesn't help the consumer in the long run.
I totally agree. These cards should realistically be sitting a good clip below MSRP, but due to the state of the market we're here, two years later talking about how slightly higher than MSRP is actually a good deal. It's crazy. But the actuality of the market forces our hand; you either empty your pockets, or you sit on the sidelines out of principle waiting for the market to normalize.
I have been waiting patiently for almost a year to get back into the PC market after a 10 year hiatus and have been sitting here like an internet meme waiting to build my childhood dream PC. Adult-me is trying to calm my itchy trigger finger with financial reasoning... but man, that GTX 1080 is a helluva lot better than my Radeon HD 6950 and worth the price of admission, imo...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I totally agree. These cards should realistically be sitting a good clip below MSRP, but due to the state of the market we're here, two years later talking about how slightly higher than MSRP is actually a good deal. It's crazy. But the actuality of the market forces our hand; you either empty your pockets, or you sit on the sidelines out of principle waiting for the market to normalize.
I have been waiting patiently for almost a year to get back into the PC market after a 10 year hiatus and have been sitting here like an internet meme waiting to build my childhood dream PC. Adult-me is trying to calm my itchy trigger finger with financial reasoning... but man, that GTX 1080 is a helluva lot better than my Radeon HD 6950 and worth the price of admission, imo...
It is sad. I still have one of my titan x pascals from 2016 (in the wife machine) probably the best gpu purchase in terms of time/value/perf. Funny that can be said for a card that cost me 1k ish.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Been logging into EVGA the last month and watching prices.... the last week I have seen prices drop down twice, this is the lowest I have seen it ... $649 isn't that bad... I think if it holds that price and maybe down further I might pick one up next month and use there step up program. Interested in the GTX 1180 but want to see benchmarks and would like at least 11GB of memory like the GTX 1080Ti. Anyway good to see and thought I would share.

I'm almost tempted to buy one for myself. $649 US is about $843 Canadian. At that price, it's almost $130 cheaper than I would find anywhere else right now up in the Great White North.

Edit: I wonder if I'd have to pay duty on it...
Edit 2: Derp. Yes I would have to pay duty. $101 worth. :(

·
waifu for lifu
11,317 Posts
I'm almost tempted to buy one for myself. $649 US is about $843 Canadian. At that price, it's almost $130 cheaper than I would find anywhere else right now up in the Great White North.

Edit: I wonder if I'd have to pay duty on it...
Edit 2: Derp. Yes I would have to pay duty. $101 worth. :(
Does that include buying from an individual? My card will be up for sale very soon. I live in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Does that include buying from an individual? My card will be up for sale very soon. I live in the U.S.
If memory serves me correct, from my days using the OCN marketplace dealing with Americans mostly, if you mark the package as a Gift, you avoid duty. So unless things have changed in the past 10 years, but I only ever got stuck paying duty once and it was because the seller didn't mark it properly. Luckily he ended up reimbursing me, but I remember it being a situation that could have been avoided.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 1080. Literally 980ti oced performance.
By this logic, lets not buy a 980 Ti because something can be overclocked to match it, and lets not buy that thing either because something can be overclocked to match it, and lets not buy that thing either because something can be overclocked to match it, until we're at the first GPU ever made which nothing can be overclocked to match it so obviously its the one to get.

You can still just overclock the 1080 too.
Never understood people who say this

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,541 Posts
I doubt the prices will drop more than $100 as the new GPUs will be out of stock for at least the first few months. This keeps more people waiting until late 2018/early 2019, which either means they are stuck buying the surplus of 10-series GPUs or paying inflated prices for the 11-series.

My guess for pricing/performance bracket:

$700-800
1180, performs like OC'd 1080Ti, maybe add 5-10%
$600
1080Ti, drop price to sell remaining stock
$500
1170, performs like OC'd 1080, maybe add 5-10% but cannot match stock 1080Ti
$350-400
1070Ti/1080, drop price to sell remaining stock
$300
1070, drop price to sell remaining stock

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Kudos to you for toughing it out w/a 6950 for all these years. A GTX 1080 would give you a massive performance increase.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
By this logic, lets not buy a 980 Ti because something can be overclocked to match it, and lets not buy that thing either because something can be overclocked to match it, and lets not buy that thing either because something can be overclocked to match it, until we're at the first GPU ever made which nothing can be overclocked to match it so obviously its the one to get.

The 980Ti's were legendary overclockers -- especially w/VBIOS mods. Does any GPU now made have the overclocking margins the 980Ti had?

·
PC Evangelist
46,933 Posts
The 980Ti's were legendary overclockers -- especially w/VBIOS mods. Does any GPU now made have the overclocking margins the 980Ti had?
All Pascal GPUs do.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

And I never understood people who would settle for minor improvements and thinking what nv did since the 680 dropped was okay with selling mid range chips as high end then creating a higher end. Its a business but at the end of the day, its us consumers who get shafted.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,779 Posts
Been thinking about grabbing a 1080 Ti for a couple weeks now. I convinced myself to hold off a bit longer - I've been looking to ditch my 1060 ever since I bought a 1440p/144hz monitor.

The OG plan was to buy a Vega 64 but the miners got to them before I did :eek:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Kudos to you for toughing it out w/a 6950 for all these years. A GTX 1080 would give you a massive performance increase.
LOL I thank you for your pity! My PC hobby just took a backseat to other things. And I picked up console gaming on the PS4 with my wife. I think the last game I tried playing on this thing was Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Total War: Attila. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things! Early September is my PC Building/Gaming holiday!

·
Registered
45 Posts

Back to $699.00 now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts