What does this digital PWM do, exactly?

·
Banned
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
What does this digital PWM do, exactly?
Not sure how they work, but apparently they make the overclocks on the cards higher.

·
Registered
528 Posts
PWM is pulse width modulation. It has to do with the voltage delivery and control. I don't fully understand the tech behind them, but the Digital PWM's are generated by, shockingly, digital circuits. This supplies cleaner and more efficient power which in turn increases clockability.

I feel like I read somewhere that Galaxy was withdrawing from U.S. markets, but I might very well be mistaken. Can someone confirm/deny?

Lolatthe8800price.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bstew View Post
PWM is pulse width modulation. It has to do with the voltage delivery and control. I don't fully understand the tech behind them, but the Digital PWM's are generated by, shockingly, digital circuits. This supplies cleaner and more efficient power which in turn increases clockability.

Lolatthe8800price.

Actually no that's not right. Close. A pwm allows the user to increase the micro volts. To obtain a higher over clock.

It's a volt mod that can be performed digitally. With a tool like this. Currently AFAIK only the GTX 280/260 have pwm's. The GTX260/216 does not

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Actually, mV is millivolts, not microvolts.

And I would want to be make really sure, if the digital PWM is the sole reason you want to get this card, that the VRM that Galaxy is putting on this card is one that will allow you to adjust mV with software like you describe.

I'm not 100% certain that this it's automatic that if you have 'A digital PWM' that this means you absolutely CAN use the eVGA voltage tuner. I mean I'm not saying you can't ... I don't know really. But I'd make really sure is all I'm saying.

And post back here when ya find out, okay?

Edit: after some quick research, it looks even more promising. According to Fud,
It uses a Volterra VT1165MF controller. Also, apparently this particular GTX 275 is equipped with fourteen 512Mb (64MB) high-speed 0.8ns Samsung chips which it claims steady overclocks of up to 1.5GHz.

I'm guessing the 512MB is a typo, but mem speeds of 3000MHz would be pretty sweet if this is true. Tack on the nice Arctic cooler on there ... This card looks really flippin' sweet.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/13004/34/

Too bad I can't really find any reviews that talk about the overclocking on this card. If they had Galaxy at Fry's I'd go pick one up just to play around with let y'all know what it can do, but they don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts