Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm a little worried my gtx 280 is artifacting at stock, in many games when I look far away I can see one or two textures flickering, when I zoom in they stop. This happens in Black Ops, Crysis, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm and a few others. Is my card dying?
frown.gif
. It's an OEM so I can't rma....
EDIT: Using 270.51 drivers

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Have you tried other driver versions?

How hot does the card get when you play a game?

Flashy textures could also be corrupt game files but if it happens in at least 4 games I'd blame the hardware/drivers rather than the game files.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, trying 266.58 drivers now. Temps haven't gone over 81°C in crysis 2 on the core. vrms stay around 80

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, still getting texture flickering in bulletstorm, and crysis 2. Its wierd though its only on objects far away.
EDIT: Screenshots in crysis:
http://i.min.us/ik5SVS.png
enlarge the image, notice the messed up texture near the trees? Its a bit hard to see, but in game it flickers.
http://i.min.us/ikApAq.png
when I zoom out its not there anymore

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerick;12983994
The only thing I see in those screenshots is LOD popup which can flicker but it's not artifcating. Can you take some other ones with games like bulletstorm or others?
I'm going to take more of 3dmark vantage. for example in vamtage there black texture flickering on some of the people in jane nash.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giac;12982014
Nope, still getting texture flickering in bulletstorm, and crysis 2. Its wierd though its only on objects far away.
EDIT: Screenshots in crysis:
http://i.min.us/ik5SVS.png
enlarge the image, notice the messed up texture near the trees? Its a bit hard to see, but in game it flickers.
http://i.min.us/ikApAq.png
when I zoom out its not there anymore
Hmm.. I don't see the problem.

But if your card is artifacting.. bake it. It's worked for me 3/3 times.

Also, when you upload screen caps makes SURE they're JPEG and not PNG.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
When I look into the distance on BattleField Bad Company 2 there's noticable flickering with some in game elements, noticeably fires/lights. It's not artifacting, its just a crappy driver problem.

I also get random texture decals (explosion marks for example) on the scenary flicker every now at then. But this happened on my HD4870x2, GTX 470, HD5870 annd now my GTX480. So I've concluded it's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track;12993576
Hmm.. I don't see the problem.

Also, when you upload screen caps makes SURE they're JPEG and not PNG.
LOLWUT. Why? PNG's are much better than JPEGS for quality. Do your research kid.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r;12993589
LOLWUT. Why? PNG's are much better than JPEGS for quality. Do your research kid.
All Caps Acronym - CHECK

Uneducated Group-thought Remark - CHECK

Incorrect Ad Hominem Insult - CHECK

Yup, we've got a troll here.

Rebuttal: It is nearly impossibly to tell the difference between a PNG and JPEG. Now if you're talking RAW vs JPEG, I could understand. Furthermore, JPEGs take down to 1/20 of the space, making them far, far easier to both upload and download.

/Epic pwn

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Track
View Post

All Caps Acronym - CHECK

Rebuttal: It is nearly impossibly to tell the difference between a PNG and JPEG. Now if you're talking RAW vs JPEG, I could understand. Furthermore, JPEGs take down to 1/20 of the space, making them far, far easier to both upload and download.

/Epic pwn

Eh?

When posting screencaps, I can tell the difference in quality, as can many other people. If you can't, get your eyes checked.

Also the size difference is like, 800kb? Unless you're on 56k you're not even going to notice.

Also you need to learn what trolling is.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track;12993633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track;12993633
All Caps Acronym - CHECK

/Epic pwn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track;12993576
If it still has a warranty send it in. No reason to bake it unless the vendor says they will not fix it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna try running it at 100% fan speed, who knows, the core might not like high temperatures. my thermalright hr-03 gtx is coming soon so hopefully it might resolve the issues I've had.
@ Cyph3r, when I look at buildings very far away in both crysis 2 and bulletstorm I see one window flickering black.
@ justarealguy lol its an OEM I got for 100$, but its my only card left, apart from a gt210
frown.gif

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r;12993661
Eh?
Why, yes indeed!
Quote:
When posting screencaps, I can tell the difference in quality, as can many other people. If you can't, get your eyes checked.
You just told an ex-Air Force accepted soldier who now works as a Photographer to get his eyes checked.
Just thought you would want to know.

No, there is no difference. Just like there is no difference between 160kb and 128kb MP3 files.

If you can see one, get your brain checked.
Quote:
Also the size difference is like, 800kb? Unless you're on 56k you're not even going to notice.
The size difference is the same for every photo?!

Egad! Someone should have told me that before I exported hundreds of gigabytes worth of JPEGS!

Oh and to your absurd inability to do math:

Even a connector 10x faster than 56k would take more than half a minute to load the images he posted.
Quote:
Also you need to learn what trolling is.
Where would I be without you constantly driving me to improve myself..

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justarealguy;12993723
All sorts of things floating around on the internet. Strip down to the PCB, put in oven at 375F for 8-9 minutes.
Woah, don't tell him just that, man.

You have to remove anything that isn't soldered on.

Then heat the oven to 375F/180C.

Make 3-4 tiny balls out of Aluminum foil.

Place card upside-down on top of them and bake for ~10 minutes.

Don't put it in there for more than 15 minutes or less than 7 minutes.

Open oven door, let sit on the aluminum balls for an hour or until you can pick it up.

Put it back together and Wallah! It's back to working order.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.