Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at this point everyone with a gtx 2XX card should know that temperature is the enemy of overclocking on their card's. with the evga voltage tuner out, people can add or subtract voltage to their cards core.
common knowlage is that more voltage = better overclock, but more voltage = more heat. because alot of people are stuck with their stock cooler (like me
) overclocking on a card that can hit 85C+ can be hard, and the shader on these cards doesn't like that heat, but the shader is what gives us all this performance we love!
while playing with my GTX 280's tonight i decided to do a little experiment, i would increase the shader clock on my cards, and when i got artifacts i would lower voltage one tick. i found that with lower voltage i could get a better overclock!!

my clocks at stock voltage (1188 mV) were 660/1354/1250 @ 90C with auto fan
with lower voltage (1138mV) my clocks were 680/1458/1250 @ 81C auto fan.

just thought i would share this with OCN! Happy overclocking!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,616 Posts
This is a basic overclocking procedure isn't it? Overclock until its unstable, then drop it a little bit. Of course it's slightly different since heat is the limiting factor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GodofGrunts
View Post

This is a basic overclocking procedure isn't it? Overclock until its unstable, then drop it a little bit. Of course it's slightly different since heat is the limiting factor.

No

He's saying undervolting it will allow for a higher shader oc because of the reduced heat.

I undervolted my GX2 and dropped 10°c off of both cores, same shader speed just undervolted it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by GodofGrunts
View Post

This is a basic overclocking procedure isn't it? Overclock until its unstable, then drop it a little bit. Of course it's slightly different since heat is the limiting factor.

yes, but i am decreeing the voltage, not the clock and obtaining a higher overclock.

Quote:


Originally Posted by low strife
View Post

Why are you keeping it on auto fan? Just lock it at 50 or 60%.

i like my cards to auto quiet, if i kept it locked i could prob hit 1500 on the shader.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,616 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

No

He's saying undervolting it will allow for a higher shader oc because of the reduced heat.

I undervolted my GX2 and dropped 10°c off of both cores, same shader speed just undervolted it.

I understand that, but it would be like if he overvolted it to the stock settings and realized it was unstable. We both understand you just misunderstood what I meant.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,954 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by bumsoil
View Post

i like my cards to auto quiet, if i kept it locked i could prob hit 1500 on the shader.

Set up some fan profiles in rivatuner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by GodofGrunts
View Post

I understand that, but it would be like if he overvolted it to the stock settings and realized it was unstable. We both understand you just misunderstood what I meant.


uep, higher voltage = unstable because of heat
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top