Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspaid View Post
You need at least a 6-pin and 6+2-pin connector to get one of the cards running. Time for your friend to upgrade his power supply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
Those cards require all 4 connectors, he'll need to get a new PSU.
Wow, really? Both of you? Come now, he simply asked if he could use a 6 pin in the 8 pin slot and still get it to work for a little while. A simple no would do. Especially since the guy doesn't need a new PSU, all he needs is a 6-8 pin adapter, stop trying to make the guy waste more money.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
He could try to just use two six pins, but it may just crash or worse. Just get a two molex to 8 pin adapter if his power supply can handle it.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
use the 2 molex to 8 pin on the card and it will work.
He doesn't have that adapter that's why I asked if two six pins would work.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmike0408 View Post
It will probably boot up, but when it goes under load it will most likely crash and could possibly damage the gpu.

If your going to try that make sure to put the six pin connector on there rite.

I don't really recommend trying it, just order/make a adapter.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

then you need to find the adapter, cause 2 6 pins would not work, if it did dont you think the card would have 2 6 pins and now a 6 and an 8 pin

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
then you need to find the adapter, cause 2 6 pins would not work, if it did dont you think the card would have 2 6 pins and now a 6 and an 8 pin

If it wouldn't work I would think the manufacturer would make it so it wouldn't plug in. Much like a motherboard with a 8 pin CPU plug will work with a 4 pin only...

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Quote:

If it wouldn't work I would think the manufacturer would make it so it wouldn't plug in. Much like a motherboard with a 8 pin CPU plug will work with a 4 pin only...
Well since you want to disagree with all of us, then why dont you just try it and tell us how it went.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I'm just saying that it's not exactly perfect logic that he was trying to make...

·
Registered
559 Posts
the card didnt come with a adapter? i forgot if mine did or not >.>

but ya 6pin plus a 8pin(6+2) for 1 card.

dont try 2 6pins, its a 8 pin for a reason. what will prolly happen is that 8pin has a certain location for a ground that the Gfx card connects to. if u use a 6 pin the ground on it might be located somewhere else and the gfx card wont properly be ground and ull end up with smoke. or just no boot up.

dont try it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
They aren't trying to get him to waste money, I recommend new PSU with proper connectors as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlastshotx
View Post

Well since you want to disagree with all of us, then why dont you just try it and tell us how it went.

also, this.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraztsun
View Post

Wow, really? Both of you? Come now, he simply asked if he could use a 6 pin in the 8 pin slot and still get it to work for a little while. A simple no would do. Especially since the guy doesn't need a new PSU, all he needs is a 6-8 pin adapter, stop trying to make the guy waste more money.

He will need a new PSU.

Sure he can use an adapter temporarily, but I'm pretty sure any PSU that only has 2x connectors will not be sufficient for GTX280 SLI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlastshotx
View Post

We're not disagreeing with all of you. We're just letting you know that your answer isn't enough info to go of off because there is no reasoning or proof behind what he was saying. I mean, if we can make a point to contradict his point. We can't go off of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martkilu
View Post

They aren't trying to get him to waste money, I recommend new PSU with proper connectors as well.

He doesn't need a new PSU, it already comes with a 6 and 8, he just wants to use two cards, and he's only got two molex to 6 pin adapters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

Mike, it's not going to work with 2 6-pins. Just pick up an adapter on Monoprice, and then it will work fine.

Thank you, that's exactly what we needed. This thread can end now.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Quote:

View Post

We're not disagreeing with all of you. We're just letting you know that your answer isn't enough info to go of off because there is no reasoning or proof behind what he was saying. I mean, if we can make a point to contradict his point. We can't go off of it.

He doesn't need a new PSU, it already comes with a 6 and 8, he just wants to use two cards, and he's only got two molex to 6 pin adapters.

Wait so he wants/has to use two adapters, what wattage is his psu?

Quote:

View Post

Thank you, that's exactly what we needed. This thread can end now.

lol we told you that a while ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts