Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering with all the DX 11 hype, is it worth waiting for fermi and the new ATi 5970s to come in stock, or would I be better off purchasing to EVGA GTX 285s for an sli setup and DX 10.

answers much appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
keep the 4870 for now, I wouldn't get the 285 with fermi coming around the bend pretty soon. I'd wait atleast until fermi before deciding to get a 5970 or fermi because fermi could be incredible or potentially bring down the price of the 5970.

IMO with fermi coming out the 285 won't really be worth it (if u plan on beching) unless you have the balls to volt mod, run in 3-way sli or 4-way sli

also, IMO, id rather get a GTX 295 instead of 2x 285's for heat and spaceial ssues

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
For your res, the single 4870 should be enough for any game on the market save Crysis obviously.

I'd wait either way. Personally, I'd wait for Fermi to see the competition. If nothing else, wait for Fermi to see a price drop on ATI cards if the GT300 series flops.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
View Post

For your res, the single 4870 should be enough for any game on the market save Crysis obviously.

x2... This way you could see if the price/performance is worth it.And the gtx285 should go down in price a bit so I would wait.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. Hopefully fermi isnt too far around the corner, all this info im hearing seems too good to be true. maybe it wont be so expensive this time around...maybe. hoping to see it drop in time for the holidays.

·
15,777 Posts
It's either 300 or 5000, pick the brand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts