Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into a very annoying situation getting old games to work. So far every game I own works in vista but SWKOTOR. So I installed it on my XP 32bit partition and I get the same results. It turns out the game does not like drivers and everybody is pointing to the 170.00 driver series, however I can't find them for the GTX 285 becuase its so new. Becuase I have a dual boot and the only thing I use xp for is ancient games I am willing to roll back the drivers as far as possible on XP but the nvidia database only goes up to 90.00 series.

I am looking for the oldest stable drivers possible for the GTX 285 in hopes I can even attempt to play this game. Currently if I patch the game SecrureROM says I am using a backup copy even though I have all 4 original discs and won't let me play the game
, and when it does randomly allow me to run the game it freezes after 2-3minutes from driver issues

Thanks,

Aiden

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Are you positive it's drivers? I had similar issues with older games that didn't load the GPU enough and it would upclock/downclock and crash.

Check the guide in my sig and see if maybe it could help before going through all the commotion of driver hell.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Ictinike

I am almost posstive, there are many reports of the game working perfrectly in Vista 64bit with 170 drivers and a 8800 series card, and the same people upgrade and the game stops working. This is recommended on the official forums aswell. I will check your link aswell and let you know if this works.

@ZAP

Thanks for the version number, do you know anywhere I can find this? Nvidia only has Quadro drivers that high. EDIT: Google search brought me to the official nvidia page, wonder why its not in the archive.

EDIT: Well, it didn't work. Now the character gets stuck and I must use the other character to unlock the controls. Plus my save's are playing hide and seek like other users reported, and the game still freezes. I hope I can fix it because getting the Xbox version would defeat the purpose of getting a new computer. My old pc cannot run the game.

EDIT 2: Just read this in nvidia release notes for the latest Drivers,

Quote:
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 2â€"the game fails to launch, and an
“application has stopped working†error message appears. [420115]
This occurs because the application is not able to interpret the driver version correctly.
In that case It's not worth it because both games have the same problems. I will find it for the xbox.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiden327
View Post

@Ictinike

I am almost posstive, there are many reports of the game working perfrectly in Vista 64bit with 170 drivers and a 8800 series card, and the same people upgrade and the game stops working. This is recommended on the official forums aswell. I will check your link aswell and let you know if this works.

No problem.. I've just had similar issues in games and ever since I've done that downclocking fix with RivaTuner I've not had 1 single issue since.

Could be luck but with what I've been dealt lately there has to be something to it, lol.

You'll get it, let us know and keep us informed!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry its late, but I have any update. OpenGL compatibility work for KOTOR. I would have to find the drivers with the maximum supported OpenGL but I can't roll back that far. So it works now, I have had a few crashes early in the game but with over 28 hours since the early game I have no crashes. Thanks for the help!

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiden327 View Post
Sorry its late, but I have any update. OpenGL compatibility work for KOTOR. I would have to find the drivers with the maximum supported OpenGL but I can't roll back that far. So it works now, I have had a few crashes early in the game but with over 28 hours since the early game I have no crashes. Thanks for the help!
Grats bro!

Feels good to get crap working huh? lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but after I posted that your not going to believe what happened to arma 2 demo. I can post it here as its basically the same topic. Sigh, nvidia drivers are nuts!

Arma 2 + 190.38 = Massive solid color block objects and 3 FPS..... Now I need to roll back Vista
. I got a 20 FPS boost with 190.38, the last drivers I had were not working. Does anybody have any recommendations on wich drivers get Arma 2 to work? I have the demo but its unplayable and I have no reason to buy the full version if it doesn't work. I hope older drivers won't ruin the FPS I get with 190.38.

EDIT: I guess you can say I need the Best Nvidia Drivers available for the GTX 285 now. The OpenGL in Nhancer works with all version.

Aiden

EDIT: Its impossible to get a screen shot, I capture a black screen. But it is bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts