Overclock.net banner

GTX 295, no dummy plug needed!

15935 Views 123 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  mexpedip
It seems that many have to connect the monitor to both sides of the sandwich to get 2 cores working. Anyway, first of all, I've never tried this on anything other than the 182.08 WHQL driver. I do have dual monitors but both are plugged to the DVI ports, so one side of the sandwich (the HDMI side) isn't connected to anything.

After I disabled multi-GPU mode, I went to display properties and saw three monitors, and of course I know that monitor 3 isn't connected to anything. However, I was able to enable it and extend my desktop to this non-existent monitor. Then I hit OK. The whole trick is that you only need to get it enabled but not necessarily connected to any physical monitor or even a dummy plug. Now I'm getting 15k PPD total with a 511pt WU and a 353pt WU.

I've attached an image below. Can some other 295 users out there test this out and see if it works? (182.08 WHQL driver + empty HDMI port)

EDIT: Method confirmed working - http://www.overclock.net/5729120-post15.html

Here are the instructions:

Quote:
1. Enable multi-GPU mode.
2. Disable multi-GPU mode.
3. Right-click on desktop and navigate to display properties.
4. You should now be able enable monitor #3.
5. Run GPU2 clients!

LL
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

· Premium Member
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've explored a bit more and found a more specific way to glitch the driver to do this. When I rebooted, it doesn't let me enable the nonexistent monitor 3 anymore, but after re-enabling multi-GPU and disabling it again, monitor 3 can be enabled once again. I'll make a guide after some other 295 folders confirm this trick.

· Registered
1,605 Posts
I'll have to try this out in a bit. Mine was folding at almost 9k PPD on each core for the first few hours, then one core stopped working :|! I wasn't running in SLI, and I had dual monitors attached..I don't understand why one always stops after a while.

· Banned
26 Posts
i cannot get all 4 gpu's to fold on my 2 295s.

i can get 3 out of 4 to run but thats it.

even then, the 3rd one craps out after a bit.

cards are not OCed at all. fan is at 75% and temps are fine.

nothing in the whole computer is OCed at all.

i keep getting EUE's and nans.

if i swap the 2 cards the 2nd card always behaves this way so its not the gpu's themselves.

any insight?

EDIT: im using vista 64.

· Premium Member
27,668 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFsquad View Post
i cannot get all 4 gpu's to fold on my 2 295s.

i can get 3 out of 4 to run but thats it.

even then, the 3rd one craps out after a bit.

cards are not OCed at all. fan is at 75% and temps are fine.

nothing in the whole computer is OCed at all.

i keep getting EUE's and nans.

if i swap the 2 cards the 2nd card always behaves this way so its not the gpu's themselves.

any insight?

EDIT: im using vista 64.
You might want to start a thread of you own, or see if there is any helpful info here.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.