Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a GTX 295 in this system that I recently built. The GTX 295 replaced my 9800 GTX+. I have been reading and seeing people use BOTH cards and use the 9800GTX for dedicated physx?!?! how do I set that up? Do I need a special cable to connect the two cards, or just plug my 9800 GTX+ into one of the free PCI-E slots, hook it up with power and go?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I believe you do not need an SLI cable. You just plug the card in, supply power etc. and go into the nvidia control panel
from there there's a menu on the left side called "set up physx configuration" or whatever, and you just assign your 9800 the PhysX thing. Apply it and you're all set.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That's really about it, just a little bit of driver tweak needed...

Once all three (or 2 physical) cards are installed with the driver of choice. Head to the Nvidia control panel and jump to the "Set SLI and PhyX configuration" portion.

Set your SLI settings correctly first, and then select the card you would like to use for PhysX.

You don't need to select "Dedicate to PhysX". If use or will ever use a second monitor that is not used for graphics or gaming, you can plug it into the PhysX card instead of your 295.

A quick picture of my nvidia control panel to give you an Idea...

Edit: Props to AznRage, beat me to it...
wink.gif

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent! Looks like I got it up and running without any issues. Why is there no need to check the "Dedicate to Physx" box again? Also, will I have better FPS in games now with this setup?

Just gonna monitor temperatures now, with 2 giant video cards stacked on either other and all, heh.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. I am just trying to figure out if its worth it to have this 2nd card in there now, heh. I have a 900W power supply so I think I have enough power. The rest of my specs are in my sig, just add a second video card to it (9800GTX+). I mostly play Battlefield 3, Starcraft 2, and Skyrim every once in a while, and I dont think any of those use Physx, so hmmmm, to keep this card installed or not!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

Meh. I don't think it'll be worth the heat/power. Just because it won't be used often enough.
A shame really. The computer looks like an even bigger beast with both of these pluggin away in there!
frown.gif

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess I'll keep it in there then. The temperatures seem to be doing ok. Then when I manage to accidentally stumble upon a Physx powered game, I'll be set
wink.gif

·
Registered
897 Posts
Another plus would be that if you have secondary displays, or even a third, the 9800 can power all those without having to sacrifice performance from 295. It was a huge plus for me when I stuck in my 260 in with my 465.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpammisT View Post

Another plus would be that if you have secondary displays, or even a third, the 9800 can power all those without having to sacrifice performance from 295. It was a huge plus for me when I stuck in my 260 in with my 465.
Only a single display at the moment. I guess installing this Physx dedicated GPU is looking more like preparing my self for something I may do later, but has no benefit with what I have "now".

·
Premium Member
12,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpammisT View Post

This, unlike PhysX, is actually a worthy endeavor. This summer I had a 6990 and a 5970 both in my system and if I had both monitors plugged into the 6990, League of Legends would often crash. If i plugged the second monitor into the 5970 it played smoothly.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnDawg View Post

A shame really. The computer looks like an even bigger beast with both of these pluggin away in there!
frown.gif
just image how my rig looked like when i had both GTX295's AND a GTX9800 in it
thumb.gif

it looked awesome, but i found my soundcard more usefull than a PhysX card so the GTX9800 had to go.
redface.gif

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For now its simply a "wow" factor when all my computer noob buddies come over and see it, they can go. "OMG You have 2 video cards?!" and I can just smile and think to my self. If they only knew that one of them wasn't even being used.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I pull my PhysX card when not playing a game that can use it. Even though it was just idling away it was still shortening its life span.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan o' water View Post

I pull my PhysX card when not playing a game that can use it. Even though it was just idling away it was still shortening its life span.
I suppose you may be right on the physx card losing life over time, even at idle load. However its a 9800GTX+ and even people on craigslist wouldn't offer me more than $20 for it so I suppose its not much of a loss if it does take its last breath under an idle setting, heh. In other words, I dont think it would be much of a loss to me, if such a thing happened.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts