Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl1tzk1213g;11929803
dual PCB... so It's better i leave it on?
if its anything like my 9800 you will see 10C drop idle and 20C drop full load without the shroud

also if you have a side panel fan next to the 295 make sure it is pulling the hot air out of the case

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
The nVidia "Sammich" design cards, such as the 9800GX2 and Dual PCB295, see a good drop in temps with the shroud off, as the shroud partly cores the side vents. Without it, it can expel the hot air faster.

They also benefit from some good airflow too, then again, most cards do
wink.gif

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Nvidia's cards are designed obviously for forced flow out the I/O of the card, I think it honestly depends on your overall airflow to the extent that it would help or not if you remove the shroud. Being that without the shroud, airflow can freely dump into your case I've seen that it typically raises temperatures if airflow isn't present enough. The GPU fan also becomes essentially useless in this aspect since its purpose is to force airflow through the fins of the heatsink and out the back of the card rather than disperse it into the case(because of the positioning.)

Hopefully this info helps heh.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Furmark burns the cards harder than any game ever will. If it reaches 107*C in Furmark, despite being above the threshold, it'll never hit that in any game. You'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts