1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would this be a good temporary fix over my sig rig card? Just to hold until I grab something better on black Friday, possibly another 460 for sli? Please let me know.

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Would this be a good temporary fix over my sig rig card? Just to hold until I grab something better on black Friday, possibly another 460 for sli? Please let me know.
Lol, yeah. I upgraded from a X1900xtx to a HD 4770 in January and it was like night and day. This card would be huge!

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by W00MBA View Post
The difference will be MASSIVE. Do it. Now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't mean it in terms of "is it better?"... That's obvious. I'm just asking for opinions on picking it up at this price as a temporary card... Is it worth it?

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
I don't mean it in terms of "is it better?"... That's obvious. I'm just asking for opinions on picking it up at this price as a temporary card... Is it worth it?
Its just a great card for the price these days, if you can SLI it, it will be even greater. It will not be a casual upgrade for you it would be a well invested massive upgrade. Plus its selling price probably will not decrease that much in the next year should you need to part with it.

Your X1800 is a big bottleneck in your system right now!

Plus you will be going from Direct X 9 to 11!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
all sold out :-\\

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
that's an awesome price for a card you could keep for a year, and sell on.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Not sure why everyone hates on the 768mb ones. They still rock and are cheap
Because if you play at 1920x1080+ resolutions and like to crank eye candy, 768MB on a 192-bit bus isn't enough. I went from SLI GTX260's which have 896MB RAM to a single GTX465 1GB and could already tell a significant difference, despite the 465 being a slower card than SLI 260's. Went from the 465 1GB to my OC'd 470 1.28GB and RAM is no longer an issue, even with GTAIV maxed out and that game is a RAM hog when you start cranking everything up.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Not sure why everyone hates on the 768mb ones. They still rock and are cheap

Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz View Post
Because if you play at 1920x1080+ resolutions and like to crank eye candy, 768MB on a 192-bit bus isn't enough. I went from SLI GTX260's which have 896MB RAM to a single GTX465 1GB and could already tell a significant difference, despite the 465 being a slower card than SLI 260's. Went from the 465 1GB to my OC'd 470 1.28GB and RAM is no longer an issue, even with GTAIV maxed out and that game is a RAM hog when you start cranking everything up.
the 768 should be fine on 1080 from what I have read, but anything higher and the 1gig makes a big differnce.

This is an awesome folding card though since RAM does not matter for folding.

Too bad is is OOS till 9/28 (but the rebate is good till 9/30).

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
The 1GB makes a big difference regardless. It made a big difference coming from 896MB, much less 768MB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.