Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 676 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has done this but I wanted to come up with a list of aftermarket (air) coolers that will fit (without modification) onto the non-reference version (Palit and Gainward) board of the GTX 460. Now I've also just started including the non-reference Palit and gainward 560 / 560 Ti cards to this list.

Dimension of mounting holes of non-reference card = 53mm X 53mm

Feel free to add to the list and I will update it as much as i can on a daily basis.

Please make sure to show pics for confirmation that it does indeed fit or a link to somewhere showing that it does fit.

DISCLAIMER: Make sure you research the dimensions of the cards on the list below (will it fit in your case), since this list only takes into consideration if it will actually mount on the vid card and will have no issues with the PCI bracket.

I know the list right now is very short but hopefully with everyone's input we can get a nice number in here to help us out.

VGA (768MB) Cooler List: (does not have the second DVI port on the PCI bracket)

1) Gelid Icy Vision (Available worldwide)
2) Prolimatech MK-13(Available worldwide)
3) Scythe Musashi (Available worldwide) - needs to be modded to fit - click to see
4) Arctic Cooler Accelero Twin Turbo Pro (Available worldwide) (only good for 120w)
5) Deep Cool v4000 (Available in Asia/Europe)
6) Thermalright V2 (Available worldwide) - needs a good vrm heatsink
7) Thermalright Spitfire (Available worldwide)
8) Xigmatek Bitfrost VD1065 (Available worldwide) - confirmed that it won't fit
9) Zalman VF1000LED (Available worldwide) (only good for 100w)
10) Thermalright Shaman - (Available worldwide)
11) Zalman VF2000 (Available worldwide) - needs a good vrm heatsink
12) Scythe Setsugen 2 example given by BonaC - click to see(Available worldwide)
13) Deepcool v6000 (Available worldwide)
14) Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus (Available worldwide)
15) Zerotherm Coolmax 4000 (Available worldwide)
16) PC Cooler HP3-863 (Available worldwide)
17) Arctic Cooling Accelero Mono Plus (Available worldwide)
18) Thermalright HR-03 (Available worldwide)

VGA (1GB) Cooler List:

1) Scythe Musashi (Available worldwide) - needs to be modded to fit - click to see
2) Deep Cool v4000 (Available in Asia/Europe)
3) Thermalright V2 (Available worldwide) (not good for vrms though)
4) Thermalright Spitfire (Available worldwide)
5) Thermalright Shaman - (Confirmed not to fit - DVI housing needs to be removed)
6) Zalman VF2000 (Available worldwide) - needs a good vrm heatsink
7) Scythe Setsugen 2 (Available worldwide) - example given by BonaC - click to see
8) Zerotherm Coolmax 4000 (Available worldwide)
9) Arctic Cooling Accelero Mono Plus (Available worldwide)
10) Thermalright HR-03 (Available worldwide)

VGA coolers that need confirmation:

1) Xigmatek Bitfrost (Available worldwide) - confirmed not to fit
2) PCCooler HP3-863 - Sent a follow up email on April 11, 2012 asking for confirmation or if they can give us dimensions. - confirmed to only fit 768mb or cards with both DVI on PCI bracket - UPDATED APRIL 19, 2012

560 /560 Ti users

If you own a Palit or Gainward 560 / 560 Ti the coolers on the 1GB list should fit on your cards as well. Currently I have been able to confirm that my friends Palit and Gainward 560 / 560 Ti has the same PCB as the Palit GTX 460. I will continue to expand this list if new coolers for other non-reference 560's come out.

As a reminder, if your 560 / 560 Ti has the double DVI on top of one another then the 1gb list is for you. If your DVI is laid out in such a way that they are side by side and not on top of each other then the 768mb list is for you.

UPDATES for 2013:

1) Included the Arctic Cooling Accelero Mono Plus to the list as confirmed to fit in both 1GB and 768MB .
2) Included the Thermalright HR-03 (Thanks IonFive) to the list as confirmed to fit in both 1GB and 768MB .

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Image of the Scythe Musashi fitting on the non reference 1gb board. Notice the part where the copper pipe sticks out, that's where the fins were removed so that this would fit.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The prolimatech only fits the non-reference without the second DVI port (768mb version). For the 1gb models it won't fit the Palit, Gainward and Zotac. I have updated the list to show both the 768 and 1gb models though.

Thanks man!

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,295 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
FYI,
Icy + upgrade kit will fit to non-reference GTX460 1G (does not have the second DVI port on the PCI bracket) only such EVGA/Galaxy/Asus/Gigabytes

I have tested the Zotac board, the 2nd DVI port on the 2nd slot's PCI bracket have conflict with some fins of icy.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tony! Wish there was a way for the palit, gainward, and zotac (1GB) to have some kind of standoff / adaptor to make the ICY vision fit, it's such an awesome cooler! I'd swap what I have on my 460 for an ICY anyday!

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the twin turbo plus (once it comes with the new brackets) would fit this, not too sure about the extreme plus.

One things for sure though, if the extreme plus fits, it would definitely cool the gtx 460! It's so huge!!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I've read in other forums the Zalman VF1000LED also bolts on easily... however they say temps don't really improve much. I haven't found any thread with temp reports after replacing the fan with 2 x 80mm though.

I was considering the Zalman till I found the Scythe Musashi which I'm waiting on delivery of.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you're going to use the musashi on your 470? Will you be posting some temps for it when at stock and at load (in Furmark or Kombustor)?

Also, do you have the link that shows the Zalman VF1000LED fitting?

I made some preliminary measurements and from the center of the IHS to the edgs of the PCI bracket (Palit GTX 460 sonic) the clearance is 74mm (more or less), but when I check out Zalman's site they say that the VF1000LED is 160mm long. With the heatsink situated dead center that makes the edge to center measurement about 80mm.

That's why it would be nice if you could give us the link.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Geez why is it so hard to find a page you only saw like two days ago...
I've only seen one pick of that Zalman on a 460, and that wasn't the greatest snapshot. So lets go with the "Proof or it didn't happen" until someone can contribute with solid evidence.

As for my scenario, no the Musashi will be going on my HTPC's 460 (I had a ****** moment and broke the fan on it, wasn't happy with the cooling anyways); just waiting on delivery now. So yes, absolutely I will be posting pics, and a write up on findings of temps stock vs overclock.
In November the sig rig with the 470 gets watercooling

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Do NOT use a VF1000 on a GTX460. I doubt it will fit due to the rectangular mounting holes on the GTX460 (Palit models excluded) first of all. Second and more importantly, its rated TDP is 100w and it cannot keep up with a lowly HD5770 let alone a GTX460 (tested). Heck, it only does a decent job on my GT240.

The Thermalright Spitfire will have, if they have not yet released it, a GF104 compatible mounting bracket as well. This is by far the most powerful air cooler currently available. I love mine
It will generally require heatsinks/airflow on the face of the PCB and its VRMs and such though.

I tested the Spitfire on a HD5850 and came up with load temps (@ stock) of 40C in Furmark with a low RPM 140mm fan. I was actually able to run said HD5850 passively as well. And that was a non-reference DirectCU model with a higher TDP
Once my GF100/104 mounts arrive I may do some testing on the GTX470 as well.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at this list the 768 gets better aftermarket cooling currently and it's making me think about removing that second DVI port on my Palit 1gb.

This would definitely solve my cooling problem but would also defintely void the warranty!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Probs wouldn't recommend that... I'd me more inclinded to hack upthe cooler than the card; like that other post in the thread where the Musashi had fins removed.
At least that way you'll still be able to resell the card at a reasonable cost when you get bored with it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
LOL! speaking of cooler modding I think I've just found an issue with my situation with that Musashi... given that it's 250mm long, make sure your case can actually fit it!
My HTPC has the Antec Fusion Remote case and the mobo tray area is 245mm; looks like there will be a mod regardless.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sound advice, I'll need to borrow a dremel or would you recommend something else to mod a gelid so it would fit?

1 - 20 of 676 Posts