1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is going to be better? Its this..

Two of these

Vs

I want the 460's but that 480 is calling my name.

BTW - Spare me the upgrade path BS with the 460's.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Two 460's.

They also have an excellent Accelero, so you won't be stuck with heat and loud noises.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
Just save up a little bit more, $560 gets you 2 of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-110-_-Product
not as cool of a cooler but still will be a lot faster than 460 sli, even with those beefed up coolers.
Reason its between these two is beause of the coolers. I won't dare deal with terrible reference cooling again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
Again, I would NEVER choose a solution that required TWO cards vs. ONE.
NC,

You fighting the urge to pick up one of those 480's to play with? You'd go with the 480 in a heartbeat wouldn't you.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

What if the two cards performed better in all relevant tests, used far less power and got far less hot?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Quote:

I would, but not in this case

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
What if the two cards performed better in all relevant tests, used far less power and got far less hot?
not all games utilize SLI,

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRogers View Post
single 480, or a 470... sli 460s are great but I can't see how its better overall.
weird...I can't see how the 460's aren't better overall.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Yes, even if the two midrange cards performed better than the single higher end card (even though this is NOTHING new) I would STILL go for the solution that didn't force me to rely on multi-gpu drivers and game optimizations.

I would go with a single 470 over two 460's, but in this case I wouldn't even consider the 460's. I would go straight for the single 480.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
weird...I can't see how the 460's aren't better overall.
there is a simple equation to solve all graphics cards related questions, gf100>gf104

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRogers View Post
there is a simple equation to solve all graphics cards related questions, gf100>gf104
its strange how so many people completely disagree with this if its so simple.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
The good thing about one high end card is if the program only uses one gpu, then you're set.

I'm all for oc'ing but not when you have expectations. It would suck to buy two cards thinking they were gonna OC like someone else's and they don't come close. I'd only agree to two 460's at that speed if you plan on upgrading soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I recently purchased two of the MSI GE 465's because I'm having some issues with my 5870. I had so many heat related issues in the top card in the setup that I ended up returning them. Now I'm back to my 5870 which is still producing occasional artifacts and getting odd issues here and there. At this point I'm debating the same exact idea though not the same exact cards. I'm afraid I'll still have the heat issues with the top card if I get two 460s, but I know the 480s run super hot as well.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
Pimpin' purple for the win biatch!

480 can be overclocked to about 900mhz no problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts