Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions for people who know the answers.

1. Is the 1gb model worth $60 more then the 768mb model?
-
2. Which GTX 460 specific card do you suggest?
-

Thanks.

(Sorry for the commonly asked questions, Just no one has really stated why the 768mb is not worth the price....)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Funnycat
View Post

Just a few questions for people who know the answers.

1. Is the 1gb model worth $60 more then the 768mb model?
-
2. Which GTX 460 specific card do you suggest?
-

Thanks.

(Sorry for the commonly asked questions, Just no one has really stated why the 768mb is not worth the price....)

1. If you run 1680x1050 or above, go for the 1GB. You get more than just extra memory like a higher memory bus, more ROPs and texture units.

2. Asus DirectCU is the best
Soon to be the ECS Black GTX 460.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Funnycat
View Post

Damn, I plan on running that exact res. So 1gb it is.

Will be checking out that card...

Yeah if you want to save money, there's no difference between the TOP and the Regular edition other than the clock speeds. So you could just grab the regular and crank it up to the TOP speeds without any extra needed voltage.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,430 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by LethalRise750
View Post

1. If you run 1680x1050 or above, go for the 1GB. You get more than just extra memory like a higher memory bus, more ROPs and texture units.

Texture units are actually the same.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Funnycat
View Post

Damn, I plan on running that exact res. So 1gb it is.

Will be checking out that card...

You could probably get by fine with a 768MiB version. Obviously the 1GiB would be better, but 60 dollars better? That's a judgment call.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn this is difficult.

I plan on getting the 1gb, but I am having a hard time finding the gtx 460 your talking about, newegg has it, but I want to purchase it somewhere without tax to california.

Any ideas?

Also, how exactly is this card better?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Funnycat
View Post

Damn this is difficult.

I plan on getting the 1gb, but I am having a hard time finding the gtx 460 your talking about, newegg has it, but I want to purchase it somewhere without tax to california.

Any ideas?

Also, how exactly is this card better?

Thanks.

Temp wise, It's also quiet. The MSI Cyclone is nice also.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,430 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by LethalRise750
View Post

Oh, nvm haha My bad
Thanks for the correction


Easy mistake to make.

Just remember that on NVIDIA cards the number of ROPs is usually tied to the memoy bus width and the number of TMUs is tied to the number of shaders.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Odd. The return policy for the cyclone is:

Parts 3 years limited
Labor 2 years limited

So if my card breaks, I have 2 years or 3 years to get a new one?

EDIT: No, there have been numerous deals lately for 768mb model, most for $170 the average GTX 460 is $230. $60 difference.

Hope I helped.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,430 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Funnycat
View Post

So if my card breaks, I have 2 years or 3 years to get a new one?

Yes.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I mean do I have 2 years..... or 3 years to get a new one?

As in, how many years am I given to get a replacement?

2 or 3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
How long do you plan to use this card for? If you plan to use the card for awhile (I'd say 3+ years) I'd opt to get a card that has lifetime warranty.

I plan on going sli when I need more juice so I opted to pick up zotac and evga was an option as well.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,430 Posts
I know what you meant, I was just giving you the answer you'd probably get from MSI.

If the defect is related to how they put the card together, it's labor.

If it's related to the underlying components itself, it's parts.

When you try to get warranty service they could very well spin it to whatever category they feel like.

So the answer is yes, two or three years, as in hope for three, plan on two.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,430 Posts
~150 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
The Gigabyte OC'ed one is supposed to be the quietest. I got the MSI Cyclone one because it is supposed to overclock well. I have it at stable at 890 for the last month now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
The answer to your question depends entirely on you. Which games are you going to be playing?

AVP uses all 1GB of VRAM that my card has. It will probably use more if I had more. I play on 1600x1200. Assassin's Creed 2 uses 500MB of VRAM.

How much of an overclock do you want? Also, my Gigabyte GTX 460 can't go higher than 875 Ghz overvolted, without artifacting (tested with OCCT and above that I get errors). I've read that MSI and Asus Top overclock higher.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top